A good quality stir fry pan, also known as a wok, should be on your list of kitchen tools to get if you enjoy preparing a wide range of recipes at home. Sure, you can make a delicious stir fry in this pan, as its name implies, but there are so many other ways that you can use this versatile product to cook up healthy, nutritious, and flavorful meals for yourself, your family, and your guests when entertaining. For example, if your stir fry pan comes with a lid, you could use it to steam ingredients, and because the pan is so deep, you might even opt to use it for frying too.
The unique thing about a stir fry pan is its shape. It’s concave, so the bottom of the pan will get hot fast and the heat will be focused on that area of the pan. This means your ingredients can also cook up fast. And this pan has sides that are high and steep, so you can move it around to stir and toss your ingredients without fearing that they will all spill out easily like they would with a regular pan or skillet.
There are a lot of things to consider when searching for the right stir fry pan. From its size to the shape of its bottom and whether or not you will need to season it, all of these details might become a little overwhelming. But we’re here to help. So, if you are ready to start shopping, but you aren’t sure where to begin, keep reading for a list of some of the top stir fry pans available.
1. Top Pick: Cuisinart 726-38H Chef’s Classic Stainless 14-Inch Stir-Fry Pan with Helper Handle and Glass Cover
If you would prefer a stainless steel stir fry pan, this one from Cuisinart might be just what you need. It measures 14”, so it’s nice and big to fit a lot of ingredients without the risk of them spilling out when tossing and stirring them, and it also has an aluminum core to help ensure everything cooks evenly and quickly.
We also like that this stir fry pan has a riveted handle that is designed to stay cool so you don’t need to worry about burning your hand. And the helper handle on the opposite side is also a great little extra that can come in handy when carrying and using your pan.
Unlike other stir fry pans that aren’t dishwasher safe, this one is, so you can rest assured that cleanup will be a snap. Plus, it is also oven safe up to 550°F, providing you with even more versatility to prepare a variety of recipes.
- This stainless steel stir fry pan comes with a lid that fits perfectly.
- The aluminum encapsulated base of this pan will heat up quickly and eliminate hot spots by spreading heat evenly.
- This pan has measurement markings to make preparing recipes even easier.
- This stir fry pan is dishwasher safe.
- This is not a nonstick stir fry pan.
2. Best Large Stir Fry Pan: Circulon Symmetry Hard Anodized Nonstick Stir Fry / Wok Pan with Helper Handle
When you are in need of a large stir fry pan that measures 14”, you can check out this option from Circulon. It is made of durable hard-anodized aluminum, it is nonstick to make it easy to release ingredients and to make it simple to clean this pan, and it has a rubberized handle that is comfortable to hold and won’t get hot, along with a convenient helper handle.
In addition to using this pan on your stove, you can also put it in your oven to cook up meals, as it is oven safe up to 400°F. And another nice perk is the act that you can put this stir fry pan in your dishwasher when it is time to clean it after use. Plus, the stainless steel base is resistant to warping and will help ensure even heating of all of your ingredients while you cook.
- This is a nonstick stir fry pan that is large and easy to use, and the nonstick is PFOA free.
- The handles are designed to be strong and comfortable.
- This pan is dishwasher safe and oven safe.
- Some customer reviews complain that this pan is not stable enough and tends to tip over.
3. Best Nonstick Stir Fry Pan: Rachael Ray Cucina Hard Anodized Nonstick Stir Fry Wok Pan with Lid
A nonstick stir fry pan can be super convenient because it can help you use less oil and it can make cleanup fast and easy too. This option from Rachael Ray features hard-anodized aluminum to help ensure the heat will be distributed evenly and quickly. Plus, the nonstick is PFOA free.
The stainless steel handles on this stir fry pan are dual-riveted and comfortable, thanks to the silicone coating over them. You can also place this pan into the oven (it is oven safe up to 400°F), and you can use it on all cooktops except induction. Plus, this pan comes with a lid that also has a handle that is covered in silicone for your comfort.
- The nonstick coating on this stir fry pan is PFOA free.
- This stir fry pan is dishwasher safe.
- This pan comes with a lid.
- The handles on the pan and lid are covered in silicone to prevent burns and ensure comfort during use.
- This stir fry pan is not suitable for induction cooktops.
4. Best Stir Fry Pan with Accessories: MICHELANGELO 5 Quart Nonstick Woks and Stir Fry Pans With Lid, Frying Basket & Steam Rack
When you want to buy a stir fry pan that also comes with helpful accessories, it’s worth checking out this option because you get a ceramic wok and a lid, along with a roasting steaming rack and deep frying basket.
This pan features a nonstick coating that is resistant to scratches, and it has a long stainless steel handle that is ergonomically designed for an easy grip. The interior features ceramic and titanium to ensure great results every time you cook, and to also help ensure this product will last.
You can use this pan in the oven, and you can also wash it in the dishwasher or by hand with ease. Plus, it is PFOA free, cadmium free, lead free, and PTFA free.
- This stir fry pan features a nonstick ceramic interior that makes cleanup easy and also gives you the chance to use less oil when cooking.
- This pan is dishwasher safe, oven safe, and suitable for all cooktops.
- This product comes with a glass lid and a roasting steaming rack, as well as a deep frying basket, to make it versatile enough for a wide range of recipes.
- Some customer reviews complain that the nonstick on this stir fry pan isn’t as good as they anticipated.
5. Best Pre-Seasoned Stir Fry Pan: Homeries Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Wok
When you don’t want a nonstick stir fry pan, but you also don’t want to worry about having to properly season your pan either, consider this pre-seasoned pan from Homeries. It is a cast iron pan that is designed to be durable and give you great results when cooking up fresh recipes.
This product is pre-seasoned with some vegetable oil to keep it from rusting and give it a surface that won’t cause your food to stick. The wooden lid that comes with this pan fits it just right and further helps you create delicious meals in your own kitchen. And the flat base means that you can use on a variety of cooktops.
- This stir fry pan is pre-seasoned so you don’t have to do it yourself.
- This product is designed to be durable, and it can heat up quickly and distribute heat evenly.
- This pan comes with a wooden lid and features two handles.
- If you prefer a pan with a long handle, this one wouldn’t be the right one for you.
6. Best Stir Fry Pan with Lid: Uno Casa Cast Iron Wok Pan – 8 lb. Flat Bottom Wok with Silicone Lid
Are you in search of a basic cast iron stir fry pan that comes with a lid? Then this one might give you exactly what you need. It has a flat base that is wide and stable so you can use it on various cooktops.
What’s also nice about this pan is the fact that it was treated to make the cast iron resistant to rust. And it doesn’t need any re-seasoning, so it is another good choice if you would prefer a pre-seasoned pan.
This pan is also a good option to consider if you want to be able to have a large pan that won’t take up too much space. That’s because it measures around 12” in diameter and roughly 4” high, but it can hold 5.2 quarts, and it weighs around 8 pounds.
- This durable cast iron stir fry pan comes with a silicone lid.
- This pan is pre-seasoned to be nonstick, easy to clean, and rust-resistant.
- Some customer reviews complain that this stir fry pan rusts.
7. Best Stir Fry Pan with Wok Ring: Bielmeier 14 Inch Carbon Steel Wok with Wok Ring
If you are looking for a more traditional wok with a round bottom, but you want to be sure that you will be able to use it on your cooktop, check out this option, which comes with a convenient wok ring.
This is a carbon steel wok, so it isn’t designed to be nonstick and it will require seasoning. However, as you use it, the seasoning will end up making it increasingly more nonstick over time.
Care needs to be taken with a stir fry pan like this one. For example, you should move all of the food out of it right away after cooking, and you need to clean it right away by washing it by hand and drying it thoroughly. However, this is a sturdy and heavy product with a wooden handle that’s comfortable to hold and resistant to heat. And it also has a steel helper handle that, like the wooden handle, is riveted to the pan for durability.
- This round bottom stir fry pan comes with a wok ring so you can use it on your cooktop with ease.
- This pan is made of strong carbon steel that can cook foods efficiently and evenly.
- This stir fry pan has a wooden handle and a steel helper handle to make it easy to hold, carry, and use on the stove.
- This stir fry pan needs to be seasoned, and care needs to be taken so it will remain in good condition for a long time to come.
- You can’t put this stir fry pan in the dishwasher.
- This pan should not be used on a flat induction or electric cooktop.
8. Best Stir Fry Pan with Copper Core: All-Clad 6414 SS Copper Core 5-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Open Stir Fry Pan / Cookware
This 14” stir fry pan is made of durable 18/10 stainless steel that is easy to maintain and helps ensure heat will be distributed evenly. It also has a stainless steel handle that is contoured so that it is easy and comfortable to hold. But what makes this product stand out against others is its aluminum core and copper core, which help ensure the pan will heat up super fast.
In addition to being made of high-quality materials that will help ensure this stir fry pan will last a long time and allow you to cook a variety of meals, the mirror-polished surface also helps prevent tarnishing so this stir fry pan can look great for a long time to come.
- This stir-fry pan is designed with high-quality materials that will help ensure it heats up fast and distributes heat evenly.
- You can use this stir fry pan on a variety of cooking surfaces, such as electric, gas, and induction cooktops.
- This stir fry pan is made in the USA.
- It’s best to hand wash this stir fry pan to keep it in great shape for as long as possible.
Things to look out for:
Whenever you shop for pots and pans for your kitchen, it’s important to keep in mind that not all products are created equal. So, taking a look at the details is a smart way to ensure you will buy a stir fry pan that will be worth the money, will be safe to use, and will stand up to multiple uses so you can keep using it for many years to come. To help you get started, here are some of the things that we recommend looking out for when you are shopping for a durable stir fry pan:
First off, consider the design of the stir fry pan. Does it have a handle that is designed to be easy to hold while you mix all of your ingredients thoroughly to be sure they cook evenly? Is the handle made of a material that will stay cool to the touch so you can use the pan comfortably even when cooking with high heat? Also, is the pan nice and thick so that it will be heavy enough to be stable on your stove? And is the stir fry pan made of materials that will distribute heat evenly and quickly?
When you start shopping for a stir fry pan, you will also notice that some have round bottoms while others have flat bottoms. As you’d imagine, a flat bottom stir fry pan would be simple to use on your cooktop, especially if you’re using an electric cooktop. But you can simply get a wok ring to provide stability when using a traditional wok with a round bottom on a gas burner.
Another thing to consider is the material that the stir fry pan is made of. Do you want a stainless steel pan, or would you prefer one made of cast iron or carbon steel? Perhaps you want one that boasts a core that is made of aluminum so that the heat will be distributed just right. Or, maybe you prefer a stir fry pan with a nonstick surface to make it even simpler to use, especially when it comes to getting your ingredients out of the pan and into your dish and then cleaning the pan quickly and easily.
Yet another feature to think about is the size of the stir fry pan. How big do you think you’ll need the pan to be? If you are cooking for yourself or for a small family, a smaller stir fry pan might be sufficient. But if you are going to be using the pan to cook up large meals for a lot of people, search for stir fry pans that are bigger and can hold a lot more ingredients without causing a mess. And, when it comes to the size of the pan, also consider how easy it will be to store it away when not in use, as a large pan might not easily fit into your cabinets if there is insufficient space for it.
Photo credit: Kamila i Wojtek Cyganek/Shutterstock