Many people like to store their foods in airtight containers. Not only does this help keep ingredients and snacks fresher for longer, but it can also help when it comes to keeping things neat and organized in your kitchen. But as you shop for food storage containers, what you will notice is that there are quite a few plastic options and there are also glass options.
There are several great reasons to stick with glass food storage containers. For example, if you want to go with a non-porous material that will be easy to clean, and won’t absorb odors, glass is a great choice. This is also an ideal option for those who want to avoid plastic products for health reasons, such as if you’re concerned about potential toxins in the plastic, and for those who don’t like the way plastic might affect the taste of food.
Glass is also durable, and when cared for properly, can last a long time. Unlike plastic, which might become cloudy over time, you can clean your glass food containers to keep them nice and clear, and you can also wash them at high temperatures without worrying about the heat damaging them.
Also, if you want to be a more environmentally conscious consumer, you might want to reduce your use of plastic products. And, because glass is recyclable, you can rest assured that you can take yet another step to help the planet even when you need to discard a glass container.
Are you ready to start looking for the best glass food storage containers available? We’re here to help! Check out the list of six products below to get a better idea of some of the top options that are available at affordable prices.
1. Best One-Piece Glass Food Storage Container: OXO Good Grips 3.5 Cup Smart Seal Glass Rectangle Food Storage Container
As you will see on this list, you can find a lot of sets of glass food storage containers. However, if you want to buy just one container, consider this option from OXO. You can select from a variety of sizes and different shapes, but this one, in particular, can hold 3.5 cups, it is rectangular, and it measures around 8” x 3.2”.
This container, which is made of borosilicate glass for durability, comes with a leakproof lid that has four locking tabs to ensure a secure fit. And this container can be used in the oven, freezer, and microwave, which is certainly a plus.
When you need to clean this container, it will be easy to do, as you can simply put it in your dishwasher. Plus, the silicone seal is also removable so you can clean that easily as well.
If you do end up buying more of these glass containers from this brand, you can rest assured that the lids will be interchangeable and that you will be able to nest and stack these containers for ease of storage too.
- This container is made of borosilicate glass that is stain-proof and BPA free.
- The rectangular shape can help ensure you can fit a good amount of food in this container.
- You can wash it in the dishwasher, and it can also be placed in the microwave, oven, and freezer.
- The lid is made of plastic.
2. Best Glass Food Storage Jars: Yibaodan 1200ml Glass Food Storage Containers Jars
If you are in search of tall jars that can be used to store a variety of ingredients in your kitchen, this is a good set to consider. You get a total of four large glass jars that are stackable and come with bamboo lids. And each jar can hold around 40.5 ounces.
In these jars, you can store a variety of dry foods, from snacks to pasta, but you can also use it for liquids if you wish. They can tolerate high temperatures and low temperatures, making them versatile, and they are easy to clean.
The bamboo lids add an eco-friendly element to this set of jars. When used correctly, the lid can provide an airtight seal, and it also helps prevent leaks so you don’t need to worry about messes.
The jars in this pretty set are made of borosilicate glass that is food grade and lead free, so that’s definitely a plus. And the modern look of these jars is sure to fit in with just about any décor when you want to keep these on display.
- These glass jars can hold a wide range of ingredients.
- The bamboo lids provide an airtight seal to help maintain freshness, and are also leakproof to prevent messes.
- You can label these jars so you’ll know what’s inside each one.
- The shape of these jars might be limiting, depending on what you plan on storing in your glass containers.
3. Best Multi-Compartment Glass Food Storage Containers: Bayco 8 Pack Glass Meal Prep Containers 3 Compartment
Do you like food storage containers that have multiple compartments within them so you can store more than one food without them mixing together? Then you should definitely check out this set of glass meal prep containers, which feature three compartments for added convenience.
These containers are made of durable borosilicate glass, they can hold around 33 ounces, and they measure roughly 8.1” x 6.1” x 2.8”. You get a set of eight containers, and you can stack them to store them in a manner that will save much-needed space.
Another nice feature is the locking lid that helps prevent leaks and provides an airtight seal for keeping your food as fresh as possible. The sealing rubber ring is removable so you can clean it thoroughly as well.
You can place these jars in the freezer. If you plan on using them in your oven or microwave, just be sure to take the lids off first. Also, although the containers are dishwasher safe, it is best to wash the lids by hand.
- This set includes eight glass containers and eight lids.
- Three compartments make it possible to store multiple ingredients in one container without them mixing.
- The locking lids are BPA free and designed to be easy to open and close.
- The lids are not dishwasher safe.
- The lids are made of plastic.
4. Best Eco-Friendly Glass Food Storage Containers: Urban Green Glass Containers with Bamboo Lids
As mentioned above, glass food storage containers are a great choice when you want to take a more eco-friendly approach to the products you buy for your kitchen. Well, these containers come with bamboo lids to make them even more environmentally friendly.
This set is a fantastic choice if you want to avoid plastic completely. It provides you with a total of five glass containers and matching bamboo lids with a food grade silicone ring for a tight seal. Also, each container is a different size. More specifically, this set includes containers that can hold 4 ounces, 12 ounces, 21 ounces, 35 ounces, and 50 ounces.
You can use these glass containers in the oven, microwave, freezer, and refrigerator. You should not use the lid in the microwave or oven, though. And you can also wash the glass containers in the dishwasher, but the lid should be washed by hand.
These are attractive enough to leave on your counter when you want to keep snacks within reach. And to store these, you can nest the glass containers, or if you keep the lids on, you can stack these as well.
- These borosilicate glass containers are designed to be safe for people and the environment, and they are 100% recyclable.
- This set is plastic free and BPA free.
- The lids should not be placed in the dishwasher.
5. Best Round Glass Food Storage Containers: Anchor Hocking TrueSeal Round Glass Food Storage Containers with Airtight Lids
When you are searching for round glass food storage containers, this set might give you exactly what you need. You get a set of three containers and three lids, for a total of six items. More specifically, you get one 2-cup container, one 4-cup container, and one 7- cup container. And the lids snap on and provide an airtight seal for freshness.
You can use these containers in a preheated oven, microwave, freezer, and refrigerator. And you can wash the containers and the lids in a dishwasher too, which is certainly a plus.
Each container comes with a matching BPA-free lid that helps prevent leaks and messes. And each container is a different size, so you will be able to nest them when you need to store them away, or you can stack them with the lids on.
Overall, this is a great product to go with when you want glass containers that will be easy to clean, that you can use for everything from baking to serving and storing, and that will not stain or warp.
- You can wash the containers and the lids in the dishwasher.
- The lids provide an airtight seal that prevents leaks.
- This product is made in the USA.
- The lids are plastic, so if you want to avoid all plastic, this wouldn’t be the ideal option.
6. Best Glass Food Storage Container Set: Superior Glass Food Storage Containers
When you want to get a lot of glass containers for a low price, we recommend checking out this 24-piece set (that’s 12 containers and 12 lids). These food storage containers are stackable and you get a variety of shapes and sizes so you can always have the right container when you need it, whether you are transporting food or you need to store leftovers.
While the containers are made of high-quality borosilicate glass, the lids feature a hinged locking system and a removable rubber gasket for an airtight seal that is easy to open and close.
Plus, these are microwave safe, oven safe, and freezer safe. When you need to wash the containers, you can simply place them in your dishwasher. And when you need to store these, you can stack them or you can nest them to save space.
- This set includes glass containers of various shapes and sizes, including square, round, and rectangular containers.
- The glass can tolerate rapid temperature changes.
- The lids are BPA free and provide a leakproof, airtight seal to prevent messes and maintain freshness.
- The lids are made of plastic, so this might not suit all consumers.
Things to look out for:
As you shop for glass food storage containers, it is a good idea to keep a few things in mind. That way, you can rest assured that you will make the right choice for yourself and your family. Here are some things we recommend keeping an eye on:
Check if a glass food storage container is dishwasher safe, as that will definitely make it so much easier to clean. And glass containers that come with airtight lids are a good way to ensure your food will remain fresh and you can keep pests, such as bugs, out.
Many people like to label their food storage containers so they know what’s inside, even when those containers are clear glass. So, if you want this extra feature, look for glass containers that come with labels for added convenience.
If you plan on keeping your glass food storage containers in the refrigerator or freezer, check the product description on items carefully to make sure it is safe to do so. And the same is true if you are planning on heating up food in your glass container, or pouring hot food into it, as you’ll want to be sure the glass will be able to withstand the heat.
Sometimes, glass containers can be a little heavy, so if you want to go with products that are more lightweight, be sure to see if a product description provides the weight of a container before deciding if you are going to buy it.
Finally, for purposes of saving space and keeping things organized, you may want to go with glass containers that you can stack. And nesting containers are also great because you can save even more space when they are not in use.
Photo credit: New Africa/Shutterstock