Having enough trash bags on hand is important, but it is just as important to have high-quality bags that will be able to hold all of your trash without breaking or leaking. After all, these large bags are supposed to help you keep things neat and clean, and they should be built strong to prevent messes both while they are in the trash bin and when you are taking the trash out.
13-gallon trash bags are versatile enough to use on a daily basis. They can be used in your kitchen at home or in your office to collect waste and stop odors. Not too big and not too small, they might be just right. But, remember, it is a good idea to carefully look at the details when buying these bags because you want to be sure they will be durable and won’t let you down.
There Are Different Types of 13 Gallon Trash Bags
If you thought that all 13 gallon trash bags were created equal, think again. These days, there are a variety of options to choose from. Plus, if you want to take a more eco-friendly approach to the bags that you use every day at home and at work, you can even find those that are made from plant-based materials instead of plastic. And you might find trash bags that are made from recycled plastic too, which is another good option if you are concerned about the environment and want to take steps to help reduce waste as much as possible.
Bear in mind that you typically can’t recycle trash bags. But if you can’t find recyclable bags, don’t worry. Instead, you could look into other options. For instance, you might opt to get biodegradable bags or compostable bags. These are similar, as they both break down over time, but the main difference is that you can use compostable bags – you guessed it – in your compost bin.
The bottom line is that there are greener trash bags that you can find in a variety of sizes, including 13 gallons. You can learn about a few of them in the list of products we have compiled below to give you an idea of what is currently available. And, as is the case with regular trash bags, those that are “greener” may vary in quality, so it might take some trial and error to find the bags that will work for you.
Check Customer Reviews When Shopping for Trash Bags
A brand could make great sounding claims about their trash bags, but you won’t really know how well they hold up to your garbage until you actually use them. The problem, though, is that a lot of garbage bags come in large packages, so it could take a long time to go through a box of bags that don’t meet your expectations.
So, an additional step you can take while shopping for 13 gallon trash bags is to simply read some customer reviews. If other people have tried the bags already and given their opinions on how well the bags work, you can gain insight into whether or not they are worth the price. Taking just a few minutes to read reviews and learn about a product before buying it could save you a lot of time, money, and frustration.
Are You Ready to Start Shopping for 13 Gallon Trash Bags?
Now that you know a bit more about shopping for trash bags and some of the things to consider, it is time to take a look at several of the products that are out there. The following list of garbage bags showcases a variety of brands, and it includes products that are designed to be less harsh on the planet. Keep reading to discover what these trash bags have to offer.
1. Editor’s Choice: Hefty Ultra Strong Tall Kitchen Trash Bags
First on our list is Hefty, a brand that is well-known for its range of trash bags. These Ultra Strong bags can provide continuous odor control, and they feature a lavender and sweet vanilla scent that can help keep your trash bin smelling great as well. Plus, they are flexible, so they will expand and adjust as you throw away your garbage. And when you need to close them, they have a handy drawstring to make it easy.
- These trash bags are flexible and strong, and they have a drawstring closure.
- These bags resist leaks, rips, and punctures.
- With odor control and a lavender and sweet vanilla scent, these trash bags can help stop offensive smells.
- Some people might find that the fragrance used on these bags is too strong.
2. Runner Up: Seventh Generation Drawstring Kitchen Trash Bags 13 gal
Seventh Generation is a brand that is known for its eco-friendly products, but did you know that they also make trash bags? These 13 gallon bags are made with post-consumer recycled plastic and come in recyclable packaging. Also, they have a drawstring for easy closure and carrying. Plus, they boast 3-layer technology to help ensure that they will be durable and strong against all of the things you need to throw away. And if you don’t like scented bags, these are fragrance free.
- These bags feature a combination of virgin plastic and recycled material that creates three layers for extra strength.
- These bags are resistant to tears.
- You can easily close and carry these bags with the drawstring.
- Some customer reviews state that they were disappointed with the strength of these bags.
3. Best Unscented: Glad ForceFlex Tall Kitchen Drawstring Trash Bags
Glad is another popular brand in the world of trash bags, and the ForceFlex bags are a good choice when you want bags that will be flexible to accommodate big and oddly sized garbage. They can not only help keep offensive smells at bay, but will also resist tearing and ripping. Plus, you should find that they fit your trash can well, and the drawstring keeps things simple when it’s time to take out the trash.
- These bags are designed to resist leaking and ripping, and they are flexible.
- These bags are not scented but can help stop odors.
- The drawstring makes it easy to close and carry these trash bags.
- These are one of the pricier options but you do get a large quantity.
4. Best with Drawstring: Amazon Basics Tall Kitchen Drawstring Trash Bags
These Amazon Basics tall kitchen trash bags are another good option to consider when you need 13 gallon bags. They are scented, and they have a convenient drawstring. But they are your simple white garbage bag, so they are not flexible like other products on this list. However, if you are looking for a lot of bags at an affordable price, this might be a good way to go.
- These white trash bags are built to be strong so you can avoid messes.
- The drawstring makes it easier to carry these bags and close them tightly when they are full.
- These trash bags are not flexible.
- Some people might not like the fact that these bags are scented.
5. Best with Handles: Hippo Sak Handle Trash Bags
If you don’t want a drawstring on your trash bag, you can go with a bag that has regular handles instead. These bags from Hippo Sak have wide handles that are comfortable to hold while you carry out the trash. So, you might find it easier to close and carry these, even though they don’t have the drawstring that other bags have. Plus, with a reinforced bottom, these bags are strong, and they are also designed to tightly fit your trash can. And they are unscented, so they are a great option for anyone who does not like scented trash bags.
- The wide 4-ply handles are ergonomic for comfort and strong so they won’t break.
- These bags are thick to help prevent rips and punctures.
- You should find it easy to lift, close, and carry these trash bags.
- These trash bags are priced higher than other options.
6. Best Made from Plants: ECO SOUL 100% Compostable Trash Bags
To take an eco-friendly approach to your trash bags, you can look into brands like ECO SOUL. Their compostable trash bags are made from corn starch, and they do not contain any plastic. They are thick and leakproof, as well as resistant to tearing, so they should be durable enough to handle all of your trash. Plus, they have a star seal design on the bottom to help ensure they won’t leak or break.
- These trash bags are not made with plastic; instead, they are made from corn starch.
- These bags are durable, thick, tear resistant, and leakproof.
- These bags are compostable.
- Like other eco-friendly products, these bags are more expensive than regular plastic bags.
7. Best Compostable: Holy Scrap! Compostable Trash Bags 13 Gallon
Another great option if you are looking for compostable trash bags is this package of bags from Holy Scrap! They are made from plants, they have handles that are designed to make it easy to close the bags when they are full, and they are resistant to ripping and leaking.
- These trash bags are 100% compostable and made from GMO-free plant-based ingredients.
- These bags are designed to be tough, leakproof, and rip resistant.
- These bags do not contain any plastics, additives, or toxins.
- Some customer reviews state that they were dissatisfied when it came to the durability of these bags.
8. Best Biodegradable: Emily’s Choice Heavy Duty Biodegradable Tall Kitchen Trash Bag
In addition to compostable bags, you can also look into biodegradable bags like these from Emily’s Choice if you are interested in using trash bags that are better for the planet. These are designed to be tough and resistant to breaking, so you can throw out your trash without worrying about how the bags will hold up. They also have a convenient drawstring you can use to tie them closed and carry them with ease. And, most importantly, they can break down more quickly than other bags after they’re thrown out.
- These trash bags can hold between 13 and 17 gallons, and they are built to be strong.
- These bags feature D2W Technology and are biodegradable.
- These bags have drawstrings.
- These bags are not flexible like other trash bags on this list.
Things to look out for:
When you are on the hunt for the right trash bags because you are tired of using low-quality products that leak or tear easily, there are a few features to keep in mind. Continue reading to learn about some of those features so you can shop smarter and hopefully save money in the long run by making a purchase that won’t disappoint:
First, make sure that you buy the right size trash bags. If you need 13-gallon bags, read product labels to be sure you are getting what you want. Don’t go by terms like “large” or “kitchen” bags because they might be misleading and might be the wrong size. Look for the actual gallon size so you’ll know what you’re buying. If you find that the bags hang too far over your trash bin or they aren’t big enough to cover it completely, you’ll need to go with a different size.
Another thing to consider is whether you want the bags to be unscented or scented. Sometimes, scented bags could actually smell worse than unscented if the fragrance isn’t pleasant or the fragrance doesn’t smell good when it mixes in with the odors from your trash, so keep that in mind. Also, some people don’t like the smell of artificial fragrances, while others are sensitive to them, so that is something else that is worth thinking about, especially if you will be using the trash bags in a shared space like a workplace.
Whether you go with a scented or unscented trash bag, you definitely want it to reduce or block odors from your trash. There are many bags that feature various fragrances to help mask odors, so you can select the one you think you’d like most. Or, you could go with unscented bags that could prevent odors effectively – some products claim to have the ability to neutralize odors, so those are worth checking out to see how they work.
Next, check the thickness of the trash bags before you buy them. This can give you a better idea of how well they would be able to hold up to the amount of garbage you throw away each week. If you are going to be throwing away a lot of sharp items, a thicker bag that won’t tear as easily would be a smart choice. Otherwise, if you are just going to be using it for regular household trash, you may be able to get good results from bags that are a bit thinner and lighter.
A popular feature in today’s 13 gallon trash bags is flexibility. A plastic bag that will be able to stretch to accommodate a lot of trash and oddly shaped trash could help reduce the odds that you will end up with a mess by the time you need to take the trash out for garbage pickup day. These bags might be pricier, but they might be worth the extra cost if they are able to hold up against large and heavy trash.
Yet another feature to consider is the handles on a trash bag. If they are thick, you might find it easier to lift the bag, carry it, and tie it shut. Otherwise, you can go with convenient drawstring bags. Provided that the drawstrings are tough and won’t break, you might find it easier to close the bag tight when you are ready to take it outside.
Finally, as discussed above, there are also eco-friendly options when it comes to trash bags, and those include biodegradable and compostable bags. Because plastic pollution is a huge concern, you might want to do your part by purchasing bags that are made of environmentally friendly materials, such as plants. Or, you might want to go with bags that are made from recycled materials to help reduce waste. The good news is that you have options, and you may be pleasantly surprised by how tough and durable these types of trash bags are too.
Photo credit: Volkova/Shutterstock