Ice cream is a yummy year round treat, made even more enjoyable if you use a great scoop. Let’s find out about some of the most popular ice cream scoop brands on the market today:
This ice cream scoop is high quality and high priced, and a favorite of many, for so many reasons. First, it has a classic, professional design that is also very durable. It is entirely one piece, which means there are no parts to replace and none can fall off and get lost. Aside from being the scoop of choice for many at home, it is also the preferred scoop for most ice cream parlors. It is reliable and long lasting.
For those really hard frozen ice creams that give most scoops a challenge, this one has a sharp edge that glides right in. And in a touch of genius, the handle is filled with a liquid that is heat-conducting. Once your hand touches the handle, the scoop transfers heat from your hand to the scoop. This warms the ice cream, making it easier to scoop out and release to your bowl.
This device is made of cast aluminum, which is oxidation- and corrosion-resistant.
The scoop feels great in your hand. Although it looks heavy duty, it is actually light weight. It scoops out so easily, even people with mobility problems like arthritis in their hands find this device cuts through ice cream like a warm knife through butter. It is also ambidextrous – can be used easily In either the right or left hand.
It is shaped to make the most perfectly round balls of ice cream, and they don’t stick to the scoop. Instead, they slide out easily. Each scoop of ice cream is three ounces in weight. If you buy a gallon of ice cream, this device will make 24 equal scoops. Also, the technology with this scoop eliminates compression, which creates bigger looking portions – 20 percent more volume of ice cream!
It is easy to clean by hand. Do not use in the dishwasher or expose to temperatures over 140 degrees Fahrenheit. This is very important as high temperatures can ruin the finish.
- High quality, durable, and long lasting, with classic design
- Heat conducting handle transfers heat from your hand to the scoop, warming the ice cream
- Sharp edge glides right through the hardest of ice creams
- Entirely one piece, which means no parts to replace or lose over time
- Can be used in right or left hand
- Scoops out perfectly round balls that are 20 percent higher in volume than normal
- Not dishwasher safe
- Do not expose to high temperatures
This refined ice cream scoop is also quite expensive, but it is made of stainless steel and comes in fancy packaging that looks like it was made for an iPhone. Design geeks will love this scooper, and it was, after all, designed by an aerospace engineer who specializes in ergonomics.
The polished stainless steel is high quality, durable 18/8 grade, and the device is entirely one piece.
It’s also highly functional, as it glides through the hardest of ice cream with very little hand movement required. It is particularly handy for people who have hand mobility problems, carpal tunnel syndrome, or who get really tired out from scooping ice cream.
This scoop discourages you from scooping your ice cream with your wrist action only. Instead, its ergonomic design leverages your arms and shoulders to powerfully push into the ice cream. This is an entirely new way of scooping ice cream!
What’s more, it has a spear-shaped front tip that effortlessly cuts through the rock hard ice cream that you’ve just taken out of the freezer. No need to wait for your ice cream to thaw. It scoops out your ice cream into a perfect rolled ball, which you can easily pop out to your bowl.
A nice bonus, which you might not find with other high end scoops, is it is dishwasher safe. This is due in part because it is made of stainless steel.
One drawback is some users find it hard to get into smaller containers or corners with this scoop. Also, it is large and heavy, which could pose a challenge with scooping, regardless of its other features. In addition, cold ice cream may stick to the device once scooped, and have to be spooned out of the scooper with another utensil.
- Refined and elegant looking – a design lover’s dream
- Made entirely of one piece of high quality, durable 18/8 grade polished stainless steel
- Glides through the hardest of ice cream with very little hand movement required
- Ergonomic design leverages your arms and shoulders to powerfully push through ice cream
- Spear-shaped front tip effortlessly cuts through rock hard ice cream
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- Some issues with getting into small containers or corners
- Large and heavy, which could pose a challenge with scooping
- Cold ice cream may stick to device once scooped
This cast aluminum ice cream scoop has a patented design that consists of a scissor-like device with two sides that fit together like a puzzle. Simply squeeze the scissor handle, and the two sides come together around your ice cream, scooping it into a ball. It also has a sharp edge to effortlessly dig into rock hard ice cream, straight from your freezer. It scoops even the toughest ice cream like butter.
Next, release the scissor handle, and the ice cream will also release, falling into your bowl. The non-stick coated surface will make sure your ice cream pops out easily every time.
This device feels very solid in your hands, and works well for both left- and right-handed users. At the same time, it is light, and easy to use for those who have hand mobility issues.
But it’s not just for ice cream. Try using it with cookie dough. It makes large cookies that flatten into about 3.5 inches in diameter. This size maintains the moisture of the cookie. This is the diameter most commonly used in commercial outlets.
This scoop is easy to clean but it is not dishwasher safe. If you put this device in the dishwasher, it will strip the coating off the surface, which will affect how the scoop works. Instead, soak it in hot or warm water, then wash and air or hand dry.
One drawback is the handles are not the most comfortable for small hands.
- Patented design: scissor-like handles with two sides that fit together to scoop ice cream
- Also has sharp edge to effortlessly scoop out rock hard ice cream straight from your freezer
- Release the scissor handle, and this releases the ice cream into your bowl
- Non-stick surface ensures ice cream will not stick to the device
- Works well for both left- and right-handed users
- Solid yet light in your hands, suitable for those with hand mobility issues
- Not dishwasher safe as this will damage the non-stick coating
- Handles might not be comfortable for small hands
Many ice cream scoops are completely rounded but this spoon-shaped device has a pointy tip and flat edges. The tip easily carves into rock hard ice cream. The flat edges are handy for getting all the ice cream from the sides and corners of your containers.
If you drag this tool across your ice cream, rather than plunging in, it will make pretty balls of ice cream.
The sturdy, processed rubber handle has won many design awards. It is oversized, cushy, and perfect if your hands get tired easily while scooping. It is comfortable, with a non-slip grip. The handle has grooves on the sides that conform to your hand shape and provide extra control if your hands are slippery or wet.
This scoop is a cinch to clean. You can remove the detachable handle first and wash both it and the scoop in the dishwasher. The device has a hole for hanging up when storing away.
- Spoon-shaped device has pointy tip and flat edges
- Flat edges are handy for digging out ice cream from corners and sides of containers
- Pointy tip is great for carving out rock hard ice cream
- Creates pretty balls of ice cream
- Sturdy rubber handle is cushy, non-slip, and contoured to your hand
- None mentioned by users
This device scoops out ice cream easily and has a release lever to press with your thumb that pops the ice cream to your bowl. It is made of 18/8 stainless steel, which is one of the highest grades available for working with food. The one-piece, gray plastic handle is reinforced with a stainless steel rod.
Use it not just for ice cream but also for scooping out mashed potatoes, cookie dough, and lots more.
It cleans up easily if you hand wash it. However, this device is not suitable for the dishwasher.
Some users feel it is too light weight which could mean lack of durability.
- Scoops out ice cream easily
- Has release level to press with your thumb, to pop ice cream into your bowl
- Made of durable and high grade 18/8 stainless steel
- Not just for ice cream – also use to scoop mashed potatoes, cookie dough, and more
- Cleans up easily if you hand wash it
- Too light weight – could be a sign of lack of durability
- Not dishwasher safe
What to look for in an ice cream scoop
So what are some features that you should look for in an ice cream scoop? Here are a few.
Look for a scoop that is constructed from durable and sturdy materials, especially if you are planning to use it a lot. The sturdier it is, the more easily you will be able to scoop out your ice cream. Sturdy scoops also last longer and are less likely to break. Although they may be more expensive, you won’t have to replace a sturdy scoop often.
Also see lower down where we talk about defrosting metals.
Find a scoop with a comfortable and, preferably, ergonomic handle. This will make it easier while you are scooping out your ice cream and will put less pressure on your hands and wrists. If you have hand mobility issues such as arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, or tendonitis, you may want to consider a contoured handle coated in soft silicone or rubber.
Ease of use
Look for a scoop that is simple and easy to use. Some scoops on the market are more challenging to use than others, and you want to stay away from those. Make sure the scoop you buy can effectively carve out your ice cream when it is rock hard and straight out of your freezer. That way you won’t have to wait around for the ice cream to thaw.
Also look for a brand that will release the scooped out ice cream easily.
Make sure your ice cream scoop is easy to clean. This is especially important if you are planning to do a lot of scooping. If you have a dishwasher, consider purchasing a scoop that is dishwasher safe. If you prefer washing by hand, try to find either a one-piece scoop or a scoop where the handle disconnects from the rest of the device. That way you can ensure the entire tool will be properly cleaned.
Some additional features include warming gel and defrosting metals.
Warming gel transfers the heat of your hand into the handle which then helps melt the surface of the ice cream as you are scooping. This is a very handy feature but keep in mind devices with warming gel cannot be used in the dishwasher as it will damage the chemical in the gel.
Defrosting metals melt the ice cream surface slightly, which makes it easier to scoop out. It works similarly to warming gel but more slowly. One useful defrosting metal is aluminum. Stainless steel is not a useful metal for defrosting.
Unusual ways to use an ice cream scoop
Your ice cream scoop can have many other purposes, which makes it a handy tool to have around all year. Here are a few unusual ways you can use your ice cream scoop:
- Scoop out batter for cupcakes and muffins
- Scoop out cookie dough
- Make meatballs
- Form hamburgers, crab cakes, and other patties
- Create precise food portions for egg salad, mashed potatoes, rice, etc.
- Measure out the perfect amount of pancake mix
- Scoop seeds out of pumpkins, cantaloupe, squash, and other vegetables
- Make stuffed peppers, potato skins, cabbage rolls
- Make chicken dumplings
- Create beautiful truffles
Now you’ve seen some of the most popular brands of ice cream scoops on the market today, some of their most important features, and a few additional uses they have beyond scooping ice cream. It’s time to go out there and find the perfect ice cream scoop for you and your family. Enjoy!