Jerky comes in a range of flavors, and a lot of people buy it on a regular basis so they always have some on hand. One thing that people like about jerky is the fact that it can make a tasty snack that is a good source of nutrients like protein. At the same time, this is a snack that can be low in fat and carbohydrates too, so it can be an option for those who are trying to follow a low-carb diet.
Because of the way that it is packaged, jerky is also easy to take with you when you are on the go, so it is certainly convenient when you need to have a snack while you are running errands, at work, or just looking for something to satisfy your appetite in between meals.
Another nice thing about jerky is that it can last a long time when it is packaged properly. You can even eat some of it and put it back into its package so you can have more of it later. And you can buy in bulk now so you can save more money in the long run, while having plenty of jerky for your whole family.
If you are shopping for jerky, you can look for exotic jerky or game jerky to switch things up a bit. This type of jerky comes from different animal sources than the traditional beef jerky that you are likely already familiar with.
What are some of the best exotic jerky options out there? We took a look and compiled a list to help make it easier for you to find the ideal snack that will be priced right and give you the flavors that you crave.
Best Sampler Pack: Jerky.com’s Classic Exotic Jerky Sampler Pack
When you aren’t sure about which exotic flavor to go with, you can consider getting a sampler pack like this one from Jerky.com, which features four different flavors: buffalo, boar, elk, and venison.
With this set, you get four 1-ounce bags of exotic jerky without any other meats mixed in. You also don’t need to worry about any fillers either, and this jerky does not contain any added MSG, antibiotics, growth hormones, or preservatives. In other words, the brand strives to make natural jerky that you can enjoy.
You’ll also like that this sampler pack consists of 100% lean whole muscle jerky that is marinated before it is dehydrated. This helps ensure the right flavor and texture. Then, the jerky is sealed properly so it can be ready to eat when you want it.
- This jerky does not contain any fillers, preservatives, growth hormones, antibiotics, or added MSG.
- This is only whole muscle jerky in four different exotic flavors without any other meats mixed in.
- This exotic jerky is made in the USA.
- This pack might not be right for you if you don’t think that these flavors are exotic enough.
- Some customers feel that the price is too high for the amount of jerky you get.
- Some reviewers were not happy with the texture of this exotic jerky.
Best for Creative Packaging: Carnivore Club Exotic Jerky Bouquet
Like the name implies, this set of exotic jerky comes in a neat package to make it look like a bouquet. You get 20 exotic jerky sticks for an affordable price, so this is yet another way to give various flavors a try to see which ones you prefer before you commit to buying a lot of the same exotic flavor.
With this set, you get the following flavors: buffalo, elk, hot venison, and mild venison. This means that you get five sticks for each flavor. And, with each one, you can rest assured that the company has used their time-tested recipes to balance the exotic ingredients with beef or pork in order to promote the right flavors.
- This sampler set, with its unique packaging, can make a fun gift for someone you care about.
- You get four different exotic meat flavors that you can try in one convenient package.
- This set provides 20 ounces of meat in total.
- Even though the price per jerky stick is quite affordable when you consider how many you are getting in this package, the full price for the sampler set might be too expensive, depending on what you are willing to spend.
- The exotic meat is mixed with pork or beef, so if you don’t want the extra ingredients, this isn’t the right set for you.
Best Budget: Buffalo Bob 15 Piece Game Jerky
This pack of exotic jerky from Buffalo Bob’s consists of 15 individually wrapped sticks of meat. There is one pork stick, along with 14 game flavors, so that is something to keep in mind, particularly if you want to avoid traditional meat options like pork when you are shopping for exotic jerky products.
There are a lot of flavors in this set, so if it’s variety that you’re after, this can be a good option to consider. For example, flavors include elk, antelope, beef and ostrich, beef and pheasant, beef and buffalo, kangaroo, alligator, wild boar, and venison.
We also like that this set is an affordably priced option. When you factor in the number of sticks that are included, and the number of flavors that you can sample, the price per stick is low.
- This set is affordably priced, and you get a total of 15 jerky sticks.
- You get 14 different exotic meat flavors.
- This exotic jerky contains wild meat mixed with beef, so if you only want the exotic meat, this wouldn’t be the right choice for you.
- The set comes with a pork stick, so if you want every stick to be exotic meat, this set may disappoint.
Best Exotic Game Jerky: Pearson Ranch Grass Fed Wild Game Variety Pack of 4
Pearson Ranch is a family-owned company that has been around since 1959, and they have been raising buffalo, cattle, and elk in New Mexico, where a variety of wild animals are found. And this company has produced a variety of jerky products that can serve as an alternative when you don’t want to only eat beef jerky.
These jerky products do not contain any MSG or nitrites, and they are gluten free and made with natural ingredients. Plus, they are keto friendly because they are low in carbohydrates with plenty of protein, and they are seasoned just right.
What exotic jerky flavors can you expect to get from this set? Well, there are four flavors: wild boar, elk, buffalo, and venison. These come packaged in bags, so you get a bag of each flavor.
- This jerky is made by a family-owned business that raises animals like buffalo and cattle.
- This jerky does not contain any unwanted nitrites or MSG.
- This set provides you with four different flavors, packaged in 2.1-ounce bags.
- This jerky is packaged in bags, so if you prefer individually wrapped sticks, it might not be right for you.
- Some reviewers complain that the exotic meats used to make this jerky are mixed with beef.
Best One Flavor Only: Newport Jerky Company Alligator Jerky
When you want to try something different in the world of exotic jerky, but you don’t want to buy a whole set of different types of meat, you can opt for something like this alligator jerky from Newport Jerky Company. You get a single pack of it, so you can try plenty of it and see how you like it.
This exotic jerky does not contain any antibiotics, growth hormones, steroids, or artificial colorings. It is prepared with various ingredients to create a tasty Cajun flavor, but there aren’t any other meats mixed in with the alligator meat.
Note: This brand also offers a range of other exotic jerky flavors, such as alpaca, buffalo, camel, elk, emu, shark, kangaroo, ostrich, python, yak, snapping turtle, and more. Just head to the product page and click the drop-down menu to see the myriad flavors that you can choose from.
- This is a single flavor of exotic alligator jerky, and it is not mixed with any other meats, such as beef.
- This exotic jerky does not contain any fillers of any kind.
- It is made in the United States.
- It comes in a 1.75-ounce bag.
- It is just a single bag of one type of exotic meat jerky.
- Some consumers might find the price too high for what you get.
- Several reviewers were not happy with the taste of this alligator jerky.
Best Jerky for Vegans: Primal Spirit Vegan Jerky – Our Sampler Pack
Sure, when you think of jerky, you think of meat snacks. But who says you can’t eat jerky if you are following a plant-based diet? These days, there are several brands that are producing high-quality vegan jerky that is flavorful, filling, and nutritious.
Even if you aren’t plant-based, if you are searching for exotic jerky, adding some options that are made from plants can be a tasty way to switch things up and add something new to the mix.
This sampler pack from the brand Primal Spirit is a great place to start because you get a total of 12 packs of jerky for an affordable price, and you also get six different flavors that you can try to see what you like most.
The flavors that are included in this sampler pack are: Teriyaki, Thai Peanut, Hickory Smoked, Hot & Spicy Sweet & Savory, Mesquite Lime, and Texas BBQ. Ingredients include soy, seitan, and shiitake mushrooms, and you can enjoy this snack guilt-free because it is low in fat.
- This jerky was voted the best new vegan snack.
- This jerky is vegan and cruelty free, as well as sustainably sourced, so it can be great for eco-conscious consumers.
- These provide you with 10 grams of protein.
- They don’t contain any artificial ingredients or preservatives.
- Some reviewers were disappointed by the flavor of the jerky in this sampler pack.
- Some customers prefer other vegan jerky brands instead.
Things to look out for:
When you are on the hunt for exotic jerky products, there are several things that we recommend you keep in mind:
As with any other packaged food, it is always wise to carefully look at the ingredients list to see if there is anything in a jerky product that you want to avoid or are allergic to. You can also check the nutrition facts label to determine how much salt, fat, calories, protein, etc. are in an exotic jerky. Also, some manufacturers will add flavors to their jerky, and some are spicier than others, so that’s something else to look for. All of these details can help you make the choice that is most appropriate for your needs, preferences, and health.
Keep in mind that some jerky products might contain ingredients that you may not want to consume, such as chemicals, artificial ingredients, or preservatives. Some brands might use nitrites or MSG, too, so if you want to keep these out of your diet, read the label carefully before you choose to buy a product.
Once you start browsing the exotic jerky options that are available, you will realize that there are a lot of meats that you can choose from. Some examples include boar, snake, camel, alligator, antelope, kangaroo, alpaca, and ostrich, so if you are really adventurous—or you are hoping to buy exotic jerky for someone you know who loves trying out different types of food—you are not limited to just a few choices.
Finally, when it comes to packaging for jerky, you want to be sure you are buying from a manufacturer that uses high-quality packaging that will maintain its seal. Vacuum-sealed products, thick packaging, and oxygen absorbers are all going to help ensure your jerky is ready to eat and free of mold.
Photo credit: Jiri Hera/Shutterstock