When you hear the words “espresso powder,” do you imagine that it would be something you’d use to brew a strong cup of coffee? Well, think again. Even though you might be able to use it to make instant coffee, the end result probably won’t be strong espresso like you’d get from ground espresso, and you should check a product’s label to be sure it can even be used in this manner.
Instead, espresso powder is actually a popular ingredient that pairs perfectly with chocolate to help bring out its flavor. And it can also be used to add a smooth coffee flavor to a recipe, such as one for a chocolate cake or brownies. Basically, if you like the flavor combination of chocolate and coffee but you aren’t yet using espresso powder in your homemade baking recipes, it might be time to give it a try.
What Are Some of the Other Ways You Can Use Espresso Powder?
In addition to being useful when it comes to preparing yummy desserts, you can also use espresso powder in a variety of other tasty and creative ways. For example, you can use it to make delicious dressings and sauces, such as barbecue sauce, and you might even try using it in drinks ranging from chocolate smoothies to hot chocolate. So, even though you might not realize it at first, this ingredient is surprisingly versatile.
Shopping for the Best Espresso Powders Isn’t Difficult
As the name implies, this is a fine powder, and it does come from coffee beans, but it has a really nice rich flavor that you can use to take a variety of recipes to a whole new level. You can purchase it affordably from several different brands, and you can buy a single jar or multiple jars at once if you find a multi-pack that will help you save money. Plus, you can even narrow your options down to those that are non-GMO and organic.
Still not sure if it is worth getting some espresso powder to have on hand in your kitchen? Consider taking some time to look up recipes that use this ingredient—you can find many of them easily on the internet. You might be pleasantly surprised when you discover an array of recipes that appeal to you, and you might be ready to try them as soon as possible. After all, you can use this simple ingredient in recipes that you can enjoy throughout the day, not just for dessert.
If you are ready to shop for the best espresso powder, check out the list of options below. As you will see, there are multiple brands that offer this ingredient, and you can purchase it in small to large jars, so you can get the amount that you think will be sufficient for your needs. Also, some of these are pricier than others, so you can take cost into consideration as well if you are having trouble narrowing your options.
1. Editor’s Choice: King Arthur Espresso Powder, Certified Kosher
First up on our list of the best espresso powders is this one from King Arthur, which is a popular brand you might already be familiar with if you make a lot of homemade meals. This espresso powder comes in a 3-ounce jar that is made of plastic and can certainly be reused to reduce waste, and it does not contain any added ingredients. You can use a small amount, such as a couple of teaspoons, to enhance the flavor of yummy chocolate desserts, and it will dissolve easily so you can mix it easily into your recipe and get great results.
- This jar contains only espresso powder, without any added ingredients.
- This espresso powder is kosher and can be used to enhance the flavor of chocolate.
- You will find that this powder dissolves easily to help make mixing easier.
- Some people might find that this espresso powder is too expensive for the amount you get.
- This is packaged in a plastic jar, so if you prefer glass jars, it’s worth keeping that in mind.
2. Runner Up: Hoosier Hill Farm Pure Espresso Powder
If you would prefer a larger jar of espresso powder, perhaps because you know that you will be using it often and going through it quickly, check out this 8-ounce jar from Hoosier Hill Farm. It is rich in flavor and can be used in a variety of desserts to make them taste even better, especially if you love mocha flavored sweets. You can also use a bit of this powder in hot water to make an alternative to coffee whenever you need to prepare a cup quickly.
- This is a good option when you want a larger jar of espresso powder because you get 8 ounces.
- This jar contains powdered Brazilian coffee without any added ingredients.
- You can use this espresso powder in various recipes, such as baked treats, icing, and ice cream that you prepare at home.
- You can dissolve this powder in hot water to make instant espresso.
- Some customer reviews state that they were dissatisfied with the flavor of this espresso powder.
3. Best Organic: Homemade Baking Organic Espresso Powder
Do you do your best to stick with organic foods and beverages as much as possible? Then you might be on the hunt for an organic espresso powder. Well, this one from Homemade Baking might fit your needs, as it is made from organic Arabica beans. You will not find any artificial ingredients in this product, nor will you find fillers or gluten in it. You can use it in various desserts, or you can add it to water to make a cup of coffee quickly and easily, as it will dissolve easily in hot and cold water.
- This is a great option for those who want to use an organic espresso powder.
- You can use this espresso powder in chocolate desserts, icing, and more, as well as in hot and cold water to create coffee, smoothies, etc.
- This espresso powder is made from 100% grade 1 organic Arabica beans.
- This espresso powder comes in a resealable bag that some people might not like as much as a jar you can seal tightly.
4. Best Non-GMO: Civilized Coffee Grande Espresso Powder
If you are the type of consumer that prefers non-GMO foods and drinks, this espresso powder from Civilized Coffee should be on your radar. You can use it in a variety of baked goods, as well as in shakes, smoothies, and more. It has a rich flavor because it is made from ground Colombian premium coffee beans, it dissolves easily, and you can also rest assured that it is allergen free. Plus, the container that it comes in has a wide mouth to make it easy to scoop out the right amount for whatever recipe you are preparing.
- This espresso powder is made from 100% Colombian coffee and it is non-GMO.
- You can use this espresso powder in a variety of ways because it dissolves easily.
- This product comes in a container that is recyclable, but you can also reuse it to reduce waste.
- This is one of the pricier options among the espresso powders that are available.
5. Best for Baking: Anthony’s Organic Espresso Baking Powder
The really nice thing about this espresso powder is that it is organic and non-GMO, as well as gluten free, and a little bit can go a long way when it comes to enhancing the chocolate flavor of your favorite sweets and beverages. The powder will dissolve easily, so you should find it simple to mix it into your recipes, whether you are making sauces, icing, or baked treats like cakes and brownies.
- The only ingredient in this espresso powder is organic ground coffee beans, and it does not contain any unwanted additives or fillers.
- This product is verified gluten free, as well as USDA organic and non-GMO.
- You can quickly and easily dissolve this powder when preparing a variety of recipes with it.
- If you prefer espresso powder that comes in a jar, keep in mind that this comes in a resealable bag, which might not be convenient for everyone.
6. Best Instant: DeLallo Instant Espresso Powder
Yet another great choice for baking is the DeLallo Instant Espresso Powder. This is a multi-pack, so you get six jars, making it a great option if you want to be able to buy in bulk and have plenty of espresso powder to last a long time. Also, this is a dark roast coffee that’s been ground and brewed before being dried. The flavor is rich and the powder dissolves easily when mixing it, including in hot water. So, you can use this powder for coffee drinks and for adding flavor to your favorite baked sweets.
- This espresso powder will dissolve easily, so you should find it simple to mix it into a variety of recipes, including beverages.
- This espresso powder comes in a jar that you can reuse if you’d like.
- The only ingredient in this product is 100% pure coffee.
- This espresso powder comes in a smaller jar, so you might go through it quickly if you use it often.
7. Best Decaf: Cafe Bustelo Decaffeinated Instant Espresso
Most espresso powders contain caffeine, but if you want to avoid caffeine for any reason, there are decaf products that are worth checking out, such as this one from Café Bustelo. And, like other options on this list, this one also comes in a multi-pack, so you get four bottles that can last a while and might help you save more money in the long run. You can use this powder whenever you want to make some tasty decaf instant coffee, as all you have to do is add some to a mug of hot water and stir it until it’s dissolved.
- This espresso powder can be a great option for those who want to avoid caffeine while enjoying a cup of instant coffee.
- You can use this product in baked goods, in addition to making coffee.
- This product comes in a small jar that you might go through quickly.
8. Best Multi-Pack: Ferrara Instant Espresso Coffee – Pack of 3
Yet another option that will give you more than one container of espresso powder is this one from Ferrara, which provides you with three jars at an affordable price. The jars are small, but they might be all you need if you don’t use this ingredient often. And, like the decaf product above, you can use this to make instant coffee in addition to using it to bake up treats with extra flavor. So, if decaf isn’t your favorite, this is certainly worth trying instead. Plus, the ingredients consist of 100% choice coffee from countries that include Colombia and Mexico.
- You can use this espresso powder to make instant coffee, but you can also use it for baking.
- This multi-pack gives you three jars of espresso powder.
- These jars are 2 ounces each, so they might be too small if you want a larger amount of espresso powder in every jar.
Things to look out for:
When you are looking for ingredients that you will use in meals that you prepare for your family at home, it is wise to shop with care to help ensure you get the highest quality product. Sure, all espresso powders might seem the same, but there are some things that are worth considering as you browse your options. Then, once you have found one that meets your expectations, you will know exactly what to buy when it runs out. Otherwise, rest assured that there are plenty of other options out there that you can try if you weren’t totally satisfied by your first choice.
Here are some things we recommend keeping an eye out for while you shop for espresso powder:
The point of using espresso powder in recipes is typically to boost the flavor, so you want to go with one that has the rich flavor that this ingredient is known for. Reading customer reviews may help shed some light on what a particular espresso powder tastes like so you can get an idea of whether or not it’s worth buying.
As mentioned above, espresso powders are typically used in recipes like dinners, desserts, and beverages. But if you do want one that you can use to make a quick cup of coffee, read the product label carefully to see if you can also use the espresso powder for instant coffee. Some powders might be made for this purpose, while others are best used in baking. Again, reading customer reviews can help you figure out if you can buy an espresso powder and use it for both instant coffee and baking.
Some espresso powders come in multi-packs, which might help you save money compared to what you would spend if you bought the same number of items separately. This is something that is worth considering, especially if you know that a particular espresso powder will give you the flavor you want.
Yet another thing to consider is whether you want to go with an espresso powder that is organic or non-GMO. If you are the type of person who prefers sticking with natural and organic ingredients, you will be happy to find that there are organic options available.
If you prefer to avoid caffeine, you can search for decaf espresso powder. This can give you peace of mind, knowing that you aren’t adding unwanted caffeine to any of your recipes. Just check the label to see how much caffeine is in the espresso powder you are thinking about purchasing.
In addition to determining if a product is organic or decaf, you can also read through the ingredients list to see if there are any added ingredients that you’d want to avoid or that would reduce the quality and flavor of the espresso powder. Opting for a product that contains only coffee is a great way to go.
Finally, consider the bottle, jar, or bag that this ingredient is sold in, and how much it can hold. Some espresso powders come in jars that have wide openings so you can easily scoop out the amount that you need. Others come in small bottles that let you shake out the appropriate amount of powder. Depending on your needs and preferences, you can select the type that is right for you.
Photo credit: Johannes Ziegler Photo/Shutterstock