Whether you refer to it as butcher’s twine or cooking twine, or even kitchen string, one thing is certain: this little product can come in handy in a variety of situations when you are preparing delicious meals for your family and guests.
What is butcher’s twine? Well, it’s just a string made of 100% cotton. Yep, that’s it!
When can you use butcher’s twine? A lot of people will use it when preparing a roast, as you can utilize the twine to shape the meat in a manner that will ensure it will cook more evenly and will maintain the right shape. Another reason why many people use it when they need to roast meat, such as poultry or red meat, is because this technique may help prevent your ingredients from burning when placed in your oven. For example, if you are roasting poultry, you can use the butcher’s twine to tie the wings and the legs to reduce the odds that they will end up getting burnt. And if you are preparing meat with stuffing or filling that needs to be held in during the cooking process, you can use your twine to keep everything together so it doesn’t fall apart.
Whether you have used butcher’s twine many times in the past or you are planning on adding this tool to your cooking routine, choosing the right product can make a big difference. To help you find the best butcher’s twine for your needs, check out the options that we have compiled below.
1. Best Overall: OXO Good Grips 100-Percent Natural Cotton Twine
Measuring 3” x 3” x 6”, and weighing just 1.6 ounces, this option from OXO gives you 300 feet of butcher’s twine that is made of 100% cotton. It is off-white in color, and you can use it for a variety of tasks, from cooking meals to doing craft projects and more.
What’s also nice about this particular cone shaped twine is that you can buy an OXO twine dispenser that will make it even easier to store, measure, and cut your cooking twine whenever you need it.
Overall, if you are familiar with the OXO brand and you like their products, it is worth checking out this butcher’s twine. It is designed for use in the kitchen, so you can be sure it will be safe to use in your oven when you need to roast meat or poultry, and it is easy to store away neatly.
- This product gives you 300 feet of cooking twine, so it may last you a long time, depending on how often you use it.
- This is 100% cotton twine, which is safe to use when cooking.
- You can purchase a matching twine dispenser that can make it easier to hold your twine neatly and cut it with ease as well.
- This twine might be too weak for some users, so you might need to test it out to see how to use it so it won’t break.
2. Best Organic Butcher’s Twine: WHITEWRAP Butchers Twine 100% Organic Cotton
If you are the type of consumer who tries to purchase organic products as often as possible, you might be in search of butcher’s twine that is made of organic materials. Well, you’re in luck, as there are some organic options available. Take this one from WHITEWRAP as an example. It claims to provide top quality at an affordable price, and your satisfaction is guaranteed.
This butcher’s twine is made of 100% organic cotton, it is chef grade and food safe for cooking and baking, and it features a natural color. With this option, you get 400 feet of 11-ply twine, which is more than what some other products have to offer. And this twine is designed to be strong and durable. Plus, like other butcher’s twine, you can use this one for crafting and other home projects as well.
- This cotton cooking twine is safe to use in your oven, and it is food safe and chef grade.
- You can use this twine for everything from cooking to craft projects.
- This product provides 400 feet of twine, so there is plenty to use for a long time to come.
- This cotton twine is natural and unbleached, as well as biodegradable.
- It is a bit more expensive than other butcher’s twine options that are available.
- This is a 2 pack, so you might get more cooking twine than you need.
3. Best Basic Cooking Twine: Vivifying Organic Cotton String, 328 Feet Food Safe Cooking Twine
Another option when you are hoping to find a butcher’s twine that is made of organic, 100% food grade cotton, is this product. It’s your basic cooking twine that is wrapped on a roll to make it easy to pull, measure, cut, and store the twine as needed.
This twine is 328 feet in length, so you have plenty to use for a variety of purposes. In fact, you can use this cooking twine for more than just roasting meat in your oven, as you can also use it for making wicks for your homemade candles, you can tie boxes with it, and you can use it for craft and DIY projects.
- This is an organic cotton butcher’s twine that is safe to use in the kitchen when cooking up a variety of meals.
- This product provides 328 feet of twine that is made of 100% food grade cotton.
- It is easy to store, and when you need to use it, you can easily cut the amount that you need.
- It doesn’t come with a dispenser, but you might be able to find one that will fit this twine for added convenience.
- It is priced a bit higher than some other cooking twine options.
4. Best Unbleached Organic Butcher’s Twine: If You Care 100% Natural Cooking Twine
If you are looking for a compact roll of butcher’s twine, this one from the brand If You Care might be the right choice, as it weighs just 0.8 ounces and measures 2.5” x 4.5” x 2.75”. You get 200 feet of twine, which is plenty to use for a variety of meals.
When you want to take a natural approach to the many tools that you use in your kitchen, this product is a great way to go. It features certified organic, unbleached twine that is designed for household use. And the twine is made of 100% unbleached cotton, so it will not affect the quality or flavor of the ingredients you use it on. Plus, it is microwave safe and it is oven safe up to 450°F or 230°C.
- This is a USDA Certified Biobased Product, and it is certified organic by Oregon Tilth Inc., so it is a great choice if you want to stick with a product that’s as natural as possible.
- You get 200 feet of kitchen twine in a compact package.
- You can use this twine safely in your oven and microwave for a variety of meals.
- This butcher’s twine is affordably priced and it comes in a cardboard box that you can use to store it conveniently.
- You get less length that you do with other butcher’s twine options on the market.
5. Best Stretchy Butcher’s Twine: Butcher’s Code Rotisserie Elastic and Cotton Blend – Stretchy Twine
Did you ever use butcher’s twine and wished that it would stretch a bit for added convenience and ease of use? Then consider checking out this option, which features a cotton and elastic blend.
Keep in mind that these are ties, so they are already cut to a certain length. These food grade cotton and elastic ties are 6 inches long and they can be used in temperatures up to 500°F. Also, they can stretch substantially, up to 22”, making them a versatile option when you need to use butcher’s twine for ingredients that will go in your rotisserie or oven.
Overall, if you are looking for pre-cut butcher’s twine that stretches to a longer length if you need it to, this option is worth checking out.
- This butcher’s twine is made of a cotton and elastic blend, so it is designed to stretch for ease of use and versatility.
- This twine can withstand temperatures up to 500°F.
- You can use this cooking twine when baking, roasting, and frying.
- Although these ties will stretch, they are already cut, so that can be limiting.
- These ties might not be the right choice if you want to be able to cut your twine yourself.
6. Best Length for the Price: SteadMax Cooking Twine, 100% Natural Cotton Food Grade Baker’s Twine
Are you looking for an affordable butcher’s twine that will give you more length than some of the other options that are currently available? Then check out this 2-pack, which provides a total of 720 feet of cooking twine. You get two spools, and each one provides 360 feet of twine that is food grade and made of 100% cotton.
Although it does not come with a dispenser, it is easy to use this twine, as you can simply pull on it, cut the twine at the right length you need, and then tape the end of the twine back onto the roll to store it away without worrying about it unraveling.
Overall, this is an eco-friendly product that can be used for a variety of purposes, from cooking and roasting to gifts and crafts. So if you are an eco-conscious consumer, this can be a good choice.
- This pack provides two rolls, each measuring 360 feet in length, for a total of 720 feet of butcher’s twine to last a long time.
- This butcher’s twine is made of 100% food grade natural cotton that is biodegradable.
- Because of its design, it might be hard to pull and cut the twine when you need it, so you might decide to go with one that can be used with a twine dispenser.
Things to look out for:
When shopping for butcher’s twine, you might think that all products are created equal, but there are things that you can look for to help ensure you make the right decision. Keep the following in mind while you browse the many options that are available:
First off, you need to bear in mind that you can’t just use any twine to cook your food. Instead, you should be certain that the twine you are using is safe to use in your oven. After all, it will be exposed to high temperatures. So, opt for a product that features natural fibers, such as cotton. That way, you can rest assured the twine will not end up burning or melting in the oven.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the right butcher’s twine will not cause your food to taste, smell, or look different. While cotton butcher’s twine is a smart choice because it will be safe to use in your oven and it will not affect the ingredients in any way, another good option is linen butcher’s twine.
What about twine that is made of a synthetic fiber, such as polyester? Well, this isn’t a good idea because it likely won’t be safe to use in your oven, and it is more likely to leave a strong color, odor, or flavor behind.
No matter what, read a product description carefully to be sure the butcher’s twine will be safe to use in your oven. Some products are only designed to be used outside of the oven, such as when you need to hold foods together but they don’t need to be cooked. And you also want to be sure the twine you select is strong enough to hold ingredients tightly without worrying about it breaking.
Finally, where should you shop for butcher’s twine? Well, you can find products online and you can also visit a store that sells kitchen goods. While you might be tempted to pick something up at the hardware store, the twine you find there might not be appropriate for cooking.
Photo credit: Svetlana Monyakova/Shutterstock