Making burgers at home is possible at any time of the year if you have the right tools to prepare them on the grill, griddle, or stovetop. But one thing that can be challenging is forming the patties and making sure that they are all the same size and shape. If you have struggled with that in the past, and you are tired of making burgers that don’t look too good because they are misshapen or uneven, then it may be time to look into getting yourself a burger press.
Many Different Burger Presses to Choose From
A burger press is a super easy product to use, and there are several different types you can choose from. For instance, there are those that you use to apply pressure to your patty once it is on the grill, and those types of presses can be great for preparing yummy smash burgers. Other burger presses are designed to shape your patties while the ingredients are raw so you can simply place them on the grill, cook them evenly on both sides, and serve them with your favorite ingredients.
These days, there are a lot of burger presses that you can choose from, including those that are made of plastic, aluminum, and cast iron. You can also find those that are adjustable, so you can really take control over how thick every patty is. And there are even presses that make it a snap to prepare stuffed burgers so you don’t have to do it all by hand and make a mess in the process.
There are also burger presses that you can clean in your dishwasher, as well as those that have non-stick coatings. However, you might find that, even with a press that is non-stick, it is better to use some parchment paper to keep everything as neat as possible and prevent the burger patty from sticking to the press.
A Great Product for Making a Variety of Burgers at Home
The main reason why people decide to use a burger press is simply because you can get uniform results. In other words, every patty will be the same weight, thickness, and shape. Whether you only make meat-based burgers or you like trying a variety of recipes, including veggie burger recipes, there is a burger press that is right for you. It is just a matter of looking into the options that are available, comparing their features, and selecting the one that you think will give you what you need at a price you can afford.
If you are ready to start looking for a good quality burger press that will take your burger making skills to new heights, keep reading for a list of options. As you will see, these products have varying features, yet they all have one thing in common: they are designed to make your life easier by helping you save time and effort when cooking up burgers in the kitchen or in your backyard. So, which one will you choose?
1. Editor’s Choice: Cuisinart CABP-300 Adjustable Burger Press
First on our list is this burger press from Cuisinart. You can use it with a variety of burgers, from beef and turkey burgers to salmon and veggies burgers. The nice thing about this burger press is the fact that you can adjust it to get the thickness you prefer for every patty—turn the dial to adjust it anywhere from ¼” to 1½” quickly and easily. Also, this product is made of cast aluminum for durability, and it has non-stick surfaces to make it easy to get the patty out of the press. After setting the thickness and putting the ingredients in place, just press down and you have a perfect burger that’s ready for the grill.
- This burger press is made of cast aluminum and has non-stick surfaces.
- This product is easy to clean.
- You can adjust this burger press to get the right thickness when making burgers at home.
- Some customer reviews state they had trouble getting the patty neatly out of this burger press.
2. Runner Up: Weston Hamburger, Crabcake and Sausage Press
Similar to the product above is this burger press from Weston. It allows you to adjust the patty thickness from ¼” to 1½”, and it is a great tool to use when you want to make a lot of burger patties that are all the same size. Made of aluminum, this burger press also has a spring plunger button that will pop back up after pressing the patty so you can remove the patty easily. And it has a non-stick coating, which is definitely convenient when using and cleaning it. Plus, you can use this for preparing stuffed burgers too.
- You can use this burger press with a variety of patties.
- You can adjust and set the thickness of your patties with this burger press.
- This burger press is made of heavy-duty cast aluminum and has a non-stick coating.
- You might need to use patty paper to prevent messes.
3. Best Double Burger Press: Kitchen RMore Double Burger Press
When you need to prepare a lot of burger patties, it can take up a lot of time, and you might get tired of it. In that case, having a burger press that can form two patties at once will certainly come in handy and help you save time. This product is a great example of what is possible, and it even comes with non-stick patty paper to help make it easier and less messy when preparing burger patties for the grill. You can shape a variety of burgers, including plant-based burgers, with this press, and cleaning it is easy too. Plus, this burger press comes with a kabob maker, meatball shaper, and a recipe eBook.
- This burger press is made of aluminum, and it is non-stick for easy cleanup.
- This item comes with extras like a meatball shaper and a kabob maker.
- Because you can form two patties at once, this burger press can help you save time.
- This burger press is not adjustable.
4. Best for Stuffed Burgers: Grillaholics Stuffed Burger Press and Recipe eBook
Preparing stuffed burgers by hand can be difficult, but with this handy burger press, you can simplify the process and avoid making a huge mess. You can prepare patties that are up to ½ pound in weight, and the press is 4” in diameter, so you can get an idea of the size of the patty you can make this item. Its components include a sturdy base, a removable lift plate, and large press and indent press. Plus, this product is BPA free, and you can make a stuffed burger patty in just three simple steps. Once you get the hang of things, you may never want to go back to making regular patties.
- This burger press is designed for stuffed burgers.
- You can wash this burger press in your dishwasher.
- This burger press is not adjustable, and some people might find that the patties are too thick for their liking.
5. Best Aluminum: Cave Tools Burger Press
This aluminum burger press is designed to be simple to use and easy to clean. It features a handle that is palm shaped to make it more comfortable to hold, so if you find that your hand gets tired when using other types of burger presses, this one might be a good solution. Make 1/3 pound or ¼ pound burger patties quickly and easily, while using the indicator line to ensure they are all uniform. And to keep things neat and clean, you also get parchment papers to separate the patties. Plus, this product is dishwasher safe.
- This burger press is made of aluminum, and it is easy to clean
- The palm shaped handle is designed to be gentler on your hands.
- This burger press comes with parchment papers that make it easy to separate the patties you prepare.
- You can clean this burger press in the dishwasher.
- This burger press is not adjustable.
6. Best Cast Iron: Lodge L6BP 6.25 Inch Seasoned Cast Iron Burger Press
Do you want to give a cast iron burger press a try? How about one that can make it easy to prepare smash burgers? Well, this one might be just right for you. It is made of cast iron for even heating and heat retention, it measures 6.25”, and it is also seasoned with natural vegetable oil. The large handle helps ensure you can get a good grip and apply pressure evenly to every patty. You can use it to prepare your favorite burgers, whether they are meat-based or plant-based, and you may be surprised by how easy it is to prepare a lot of burgers for your family and friends at your next backyard BBQ. Just use the burger press after you put the patty on the grill to brown each side, remove excess fat, and get delicious results.
- This burger press is made from cast iron and is designed to last a long time.
- This product comes seasoned with vegetable oil.
- You can use this on the grill or in your kitchen.
- This burger press is not adjustable like others on this list.
7. Best Non-Stick: OVOS Aluminum Non-Stick Hamburger Press with 100 FREE Patty Papers (Wood handle)
This is a great non-stick burger press that might be just what you need to start making patties that are uniform and delicious. It features non-stick surfaces to help ensure each patty will be easy to release. And this product is simple to clean too. The handle is designed to be comfortable, which is helpful because you might need to apply some pressure to get a patty that is the right shape and thickness. Plus, it comes with parchment paper for extra convenience.
- This burger press is made of aluminum.
- This product has convenient non-stick surfaces.
- You get parchment paper with this product.
- You should wash this burger press by hand.
- This burger press is not adjustable.
- To help ensure the patties won’t be difficult to release, it is best to use parchment paper.
8. Best Stainless Steel: Bellemain Smash Burger Press for Griddle, Grill
This is another burger press that you should consider if you want to make smash burgers on your grill or stove. It is made of stainless steel, and you can use it to make more than just burgers. The non-stick surface, comfortable handle, and 6” diameter are just some of the reasons why this product might be just what you need if you want to take your burgers to the next level. Plus, it is easy to clean.
- This burger press is made of stainless steel for durability.
- The large handle is designed to be comfortable to grip when applying the right amount of pressure to cook up burgers like a pro.
- This product is designed to be resistant to rust.
- This burger press might be too large.
- This product should be washed by hand.
- This product is meant to be used on the grill, so it isn’t the right choice if you want a press that will shape your patties before you cook them.
Things to look out for:
The nice thing about burger presses is that they simplify the process of preparing burgers. But they aren’t all created equal, and you should look at their details and features carefully while you are shopping. That way, you can rest assured that you are making the right choice that suits your needs, preferences, and budget. So, as you browse the items that are for sale, consider the following:
First, think about the type of press that you want. For instance, do you want one that you can use to simply shape the patties quickly and easily, or do you want one that you can use on the grill to press the patties and cook them to perfection? Perhaps you will decide to purchase one of each so you can give them both a try and see which method you prefer to get the perfect burger every time.
Next, think about the types of burgers that you want to make. Do you want to make smash burgers? Do you want to make stuffed burgers? Or do you want to be able to make traditional burgers? By taking this into consideration, you can narrow your options down to the presses that will allow you to get the results you want.
Another thing to consider is the size of the burger press. Some are quite large to make it easy to make wide burgers, and some make thicker burgers than others. Think about whether you prefer thinner or thicker patties, and whether you like wide burgers or smaller burgers, and go from there. Or, opt for a press that is adjustable so you can make patties of varying sizes—this can come in really handy when you are preparing burgers for a large group of people who might have a range of preferences in terms of patty thickness.
Yet another feature to consider is the material that the burger press is made of. No matter what, you want the press to be durable so it will last a long time and so you can avoid problems like rust. Also, you need to think about how easy the material will be to maintain. Cast iron has to be treated quite differently than aluminum, after all. And some products feature non-stick surfaces that can help make it easier to get the patty out after you have pressed it into the right shape and thickness.
As you can see by looking through the list of products above, you can also find burger presses that allow you to prepare multiple patties at once. If you want to save time, this is a great way to go. But if you don’t mind preparing your burgers one at a time or you typically don’t make a lot of patties, a press that makes just one patty at a time should be perfectly fine.
Your budget for a burger press is another thing that is worth thinking about, as these presses can vary widely in price. A higher quality product that will likely last longer might cost more upfront but help you save money in the long run because you won’t need to replace it right away.
Finally, think about how easy it will be to clean your burger press. Some are dishwasher safe, while others should only be washed by hand. Some come with parchment paper to help keep the surfaces cleaner and make cleanup quicker and easier. And some have multiple parts that need to be cleaned separately. Keep these features in mind so you can find a product that matches your preferences.
Photo credit: StockphotoVideo/Shutterstock