A wooden spoon is one of several must-have utensils in any kitchen. It can be used to prepare and serve a variety of delicious and healthy meals, and it can be used on nonstick cookware without fear of it scratching and ruining the coating on your pots and pans.
When shopping for wooden spoons, it’s important to keep in mind that there are several different types of spoons that you can choose from. For example, there are slotted spoons and solid basting spoons, and there are handy corner spoons too. Plus, wooden spoons are made of different types of wood, from bamboo and olive wood to beech wood and maple wood.
Because there are so many variations in construction and design when it comes to wooden spoons, deciding which ones to go with can be a little challenging. Perhaps you want to have one of each in your kitchen so they’re available whenever you might need them, or you might know exactly the type of spoon you need so you’ll only focus on finding that one.
To help you along, we have compiled a list of eight wooden spoons that we recommend checking out. You can read about them below, and also access some helpful tips that you can use to narrow down your options when you’re ready to make a purchase.
1.Best Large Wooden Spoon: ECOSALL Heavy Duty Large Wooden Spoon 18-inch
If you are in search of a large wooden spoon that will be versatile enough to use when preparing and serving meals, check out this one, which is 18” long by 3” wide. The extra long handle makes it a great choice when you are mixing ingredients in a deep pot, and the beech wood that is used to make this spoon can help ensure it will be strong and durable.
This wooden spoon has a deep scoop and edges that are round and smooth. Whether you are making a large batch of food or you just want to use a spoon with a long handle to keep yourself safe from hot ingredients, this spoon can do the trick. And when you are done using it, the loop at the end of the handle makes it easy to hang and store away.
We also like that this wooden spoon doesn’t have any varnish, glue, or lacquers. Plus, it is sturdy and well-balanced, it has a smooth finish, and it is designed to feel comfortable in your hands.
- This spoon is made from one solid piece of beech wood to ensure it will be strong and durable.
- The long handle on this wooden spoon can come in handy when cooking large batches of food or when using deep pots to prepare meals.
- It comes with a loop for hanging if you want to showcase it as part of your kitchen décor when you aren’t using it.
- This spoon is 18 inches in length, so some people might not have a real use for it in their kitchen.
2. Best Wooden Basting Spoon: Good Cook Touch 13-inch Wooden Basting Spoon
This basting wooden spoon measures 13”, so it can be a good size for those looking for a spoon that isn’t too long or too short. It is made of solid beech wood, it has a hole at the end of the handle so you can hang it if you wish, it is rounded so it will not scratch your cookware, and it is built to be durable and strong.
Thanks to its one-piece construction, this spoon can last for a long time to come, and the handle is designed to fit comfortably in your hand as well. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that it is best to hand wash this spoon, so you should not put it in the dishwasher.
- This wooden spoon is made of solid beech wood.
- You can use this wooden spoon on nonstick cookware, as well as cast iron and stainless steel pots and pans, as it’s designed to be gentle on these surfaces.
- This wooden spoon is 13” long, and it has a hole in the handle to make it easy to hang it when you need to store it away between uses.
- This wooden spoon should be hand washed.
- Some people might find the handle too thick and difficult to hold.
3. Best Wooden Corner Spoon: OXO Good Grips Wooden Corner Spoon
Sometimes, it can be hard to get food out of the corners of your cookware or food storage containers, and that is when a wooden corner spoon like this one from OXO Good Grips can come in really handy. It is made of solid beech wood, has a natural oil finish, and boasts a large handle that is designed to be comfortable to hold.
If you need a wooden spoon that can get into corners so you don’t end up wasting any food by leaving it behind in your pot or pan when serving it to your family and guests, this product may do the trick. It is a solid spoon that features one rounded edge and another edge that is pointed to get into corners.
- This wooden corner spoon is made of solid beech wood and has an oil finish, so it is built to last.
- This spoon is versatile, durable, and comfortable to use.
- The shape of this wooden spoon can make scooping ingredients out of a container, pot, or pan super simple.
- This wooden spoon should be hand washed only, so you can’t just put it into your dishwasher to clean it.
4. Best Maple Wooden Spoon: Chef Craft Maple Wooden Set Spoon, Multisize, Natural
Sure, beech wood spoons are built to be strong and long lasting, but you can also look at spoons that are made of maple wood. These are designed to be durable, so they can be a great addition to your collection of kitchen utensils. And they are thin and lightweight, rather than bulky, so they will not take up a lot of storage space, and they will be comfortable in your hands.
This particular set of maple wooden spoons gives you three spoons of different sizes: you get one 10” spoon, one 12” spoon, and one 14” spoon, so you can select the one that is right for the task at hand. Plus, the solid, one-piece construction of these spoons can help ensure they will last.
Although you might be tempted to toss these into your dishwasher when it is time to clean them, it is best to hand wash these, just as you would other wooden spoons, to help keep them in great shape.
- This is a set of three wooden spoons, and each is a different length.
- These wooden spoons are made of strong maple wood.
- These spoons are smaller and thinner than others.
- Some reviewers were disappointed with the durability of these spoons.
5. Best Bamboo Wooden Spoon: Cuisinart Green Gourmet Bamboo Solid and Slotted Spoons, 2-Pack
If you are the type of consumer who is always searching for the most eco-friendly products available, and you are looking for a new wooden spoon, definitely consider checking out the many bamboo spoons that are available.
This option from Cuisinart is a great place to start because you can get two spoons, one that is solid and another that is slotted, so you can use these for a variety of purposes. These are also designed to be easy to hold, and they are safe for all of your nonstick cookware because of their smooth and rounded edges. Plus, they boast a natural oil finish to help keep them looking great.
Overall, if you want a thick wooden spoon that will be easy to use, and you want to rest assured that it is made from a renewable resource that is more environmentally friendly than some other products out there, bamboo is a great choice.
- You get two bamboo spoons for an affordable price: one that is solid and one that is slotted.
- These spoons are made from sustainable and renewable bamboo wood.
- These spoons have a natural oil finish.
- These spoons have a small hole in the handle for hanging them when not in use.
- These bamboo wooden spoons should only be hand washed.
6. Best Slotted Wooden Spoon: RSVP International Olive Wood Slotted Spoon, 12″
A slotted wooden spoon is yet another type of wooden spoon that you should consider adding to your cooking toolkit. It can be used when serving yummy meals to your family, friends, and guests, as it can leave behind excess liquid that you don’t want to put in a dish or bowl.
This wooden spoon is made of Italian olive wood, and it can be cleaned easily with warm water and soap. Plus, because it is made of natural materials, you will notice that the grain and shape might be a little different from one spoon to another.
- This slotted wooden spoon is made of olive wood.
- This spoon measures roughly 12.25” in length by 2.25” wide, so it isn’t too long or too short.
- The handle of this wooden spoon is designed to be comfortable.
- To keep this wooden spoon in tip-top shape for years to come, it is recommended that you use a food safe mineral oil on an as-needed basis.
- This wooden spoon should not be placed in the dishwasher; instead, it should be washed by hand.
7. Best Wooden Spoon with a Soft Handle: Parve Green Deluxe Wooden Spoon
Sometimes, a wooden spoon’s handle can be a little tough on your hands. That’s why we made sure to include this wooden spoon on our list. If you want a spoon that will feel comfortable against your hand, thanks to its soft and smooth texture, this one is worth looking into.
This product can make gripping and using a wooden spoon easier and more comfortable. You get a large spoon at an affordable price, and it features a bright color on the handle, such as green or red, so you get a nice little pop of color while also enjoying all of the benefits that come with using a wooden spoon as you prepare meals.
Like other smooth wooden spoons, the nice thing about this one is the fact that you can use it safely on any nonstick pots and pans that you own because you don’t have to worry about scratching the surface. And the soft handle can help prevent the spoon from slipping out of your hand whenever you use it for food preparation or for serving meals.
Just be sure to wash this product carefully and thoroughly by hand, just like you would any other wooden kitchen utensil, to help keep it in tip-top shape for a long time to come.
- This wooden spoon features a colorful, soft handle that makes it more comfortable to use.
- You can choose between a red and green handle, or get one of each, to add a pop of color to your kitchen utensil collection.
- Some reviewers complain that this spoon is not as thick as they would like it to be.
8. Best Wooden Spoon Multipack: Lochantie Kitchen Utensil Set Wooden Spoons
Do you want to take the guesswork out of which particular type of wooden spoon to buy because you aren’t sure when you’ll need each one? Or maybe you want to save money by purchasing a variety of wooden spoons as a set rather than finding them separately. Either way, this set of six cooking utensils, which includes various wooden spoons, is certainly worth checking out.
What exactly do you get when you purchase this set? Well, there is a solid spoon, a spork, a slotted spoon, a risotto spoon, a turner, and a slotted turner. They all have a smooth finish, easy-to-hold handle, and attractive pale color.
All of the items in this set are resistant to high heat, boast anti-microbial properties, and are made of environmentally friendly bamboo. They are also built to be sturdy so they will be reliable and last a long time, and they are easy to clean too.
We like that these attractive, durable, and comfortable wooden spoons are made from one piece of natural bamboo. They also measure roughly 12.6” long by 2.4” wide, so they are the right size for a variety of tasks. And you can hang them to display them when you aren’t using them.
- This set of cooking utensils contains various wooden spoons.
- These wooden spoons have long handles with holes for hanging.
- These are made from one piece of bamboo that’s natural and eco-friendly.
- Some customer reviews complain of splinters when using these spoons.
Things to look out for:
Shopping for a wooden spoon doesn’t have to be challenging, whether you are looking for just one particular type of spoon or a set of spoons. There are some things that you should keep in mind so you can rest assured you make the right choice. Here are a few things to look for:
When it comes to features that you can look for to note the differences between the many wooden spoons on the market, consider things like the size and shape of the head of the spoon and the handle’s length. Also, consider whether or not the product is designed in a way that will make it easy to hold when stirring and serving food. Plus, you can also check if a wooden spoon’s texture is rough or smooth.
In terms of the shape of the spoon, there are several options to suit all of your needs in the kitchen. For example, you can choose from solid, slotted, basting, and corner spoons, all designed for specific tasks during food prep.
Also, consider the type of wood that a spoon is made of because not all woods are created equal and some will be stronger than others. Beech, maple, olive, and cherry woods are all good options because they aren’t as prone to cracking and can be quite durable. Compare these to pine wood, which is typically less durable but also less pricey. And, of course, there is bamboo wood that you can consider as well, especially if you are searching for an eco-friendly material that will also be strong.
Photo credit: Africa Studio/Shutterstock