A simple vegetable peeler might not seem all that important, but it really is. If you enjoy preparing a variety of meals for your family, the right peeler can make things a lot easier when you need to get the skin off produce like carrots and potatoes. But if you choose the wrong vegetable peeler, you might find yourself struggling to hold it comfortably and maintaining control of it to prevent cuts and messes. And if the blade isn’t sharp enough, you will also find it hard to quickly peel the skin off a fruit or vegetable with minimal effort.
There are several different types of vegetable peelers, so you can select one that can do everything for you, or you might decide to go with one of each type so you have exactly what you need on hand at all times. And there are also electric vegetable peelers and rotary peelers that can also make it even easier, and even faster, to get the job done when preparing meals.
Whether you are ready to buy your first vegetable peeler ever or you are in need of a replacement or upgrade to your current peeler, there are a lot of products that you can choose from. As you shop, a couple of things to think about include how the blade of a peeler needs to be positioned to get the best results, and whether you want a serrated blade, a swivel blade, or a straight blade.
If you end up having trouble deciding between the many affordable vegetable peelers that are currently available, don’t worry. We have compiled a list of items that we think are worth checking out when you’re ready to make a purchase, and you can read about them below.
1. Best Y Vegetable Peeler: OXO Good Grips Prep Y-Peeler
This Y-peeler from OXO Good Grips is a great choice when you want a high-quality vegetable peeler that will be easy to use on a variety of foods. It features a straight blade that is sharp and made of durable stainless steel so it will resist rusting. Plus, the handle is ergonomic and non-slip for comfort and ease of use.
Overall, this is a compact vegetable peeler that can last for a long time when used, cleaned, and stored properly. It even has a built-in potato eyer, and it is dishwasher safe for ease of cleaning. Plus, because it is double-sided, it can be used by those who are left-handed and those who are right-handed, so you don’t need to worry about whether or not it will be easy to hold and use.
- This vegetable peeler features a comfortable, ergonomic handle that is non-slip and designed for both right-handed and left-handed people.
- This product features sharp and durable Japanese steel that will not rust.
- You can clean this vegetable peeler in the dishwasher.
- This vegetable peeler might be too small for some users.
2. Best Swivel Vegetable Peeler: Spring Chef Premium Swivel Vegetable Peeler
If you would prefer a swivel vegetable peeler, this one from Spring Chef is worth checking out. It has a lot of nice features, such as dual stainless steel blades that will stay super sharp and a design that will help ensure this peeler will glide smoothly and won’t get clogged with pieces of food as you work. Plus, it has a blemish remover built in, which always comes in handy.
We also like that this product is ergonomically designed to make it easy to peel a variety of fruits and veggies. If you tend to have trouble holding other peelers, this one is lightweight and has a non-slip handle. Plus, it’s appropriate for those who are right-handed and those who are left-handed. And when you need to clean it, you can just put it into your dishwasher.
- This swivel vegetable peeler has dual stainless steel blades and smooth glide technology that will ensure ease of use without getting clogged with peels.
- This is a lightweight and ergonomically designed vegetable peeler that has a non-slip handle that can be used by right-handed and left-handed people.
- This product is dishwasher safe, and you can store it away with the included reusable blade cover to keep it in good condition.
- Some users might find that this vegetable peeler is too big.
3. Top Pick Best Julienne Vegetable Peeler: Deiss PRO Dual Julienne Peeler & Vegetable Peeler
When you want to add a julienne vegetable peeler to your collection of tools in your kitchen, this option from Deiss might have all of the features that you are looking for. Designed in Germany, this product has a razor sharp blade that you can use to cut veggies like zucchini into noodles. And it also has a peeling serrated blade, along with a tool for removing potato eyes.
It doesn’t even stop there because there are more great features that are worth mentioning. For example, this vegetable peeler has an ergonomic handle that is non-slip, so it should fit comfortably in your hand and be easy to use even if your hands are a bit wet.
Overall, this is a vegetable peeler that you can use to perform a variety of tasks, such as peeling, slicing, and cutting, as well as julienning. Whatever you need to do, this product has stainless steel blades that will make the task quick and easy.
- You can use this vegetable peeler to peel, slice, and julienne a variety of fruits and vegetables.
- This product features durable stainless steel that is resistant to rust, and it also has a non-slip handle that is comfortable to hold.
- You can wash this vegetable peeler in the dishwasher, and the blades are removable to make them easier to clean as well.
- Some customer reviews mention that this product can rust, so care should be taken to thoroughly dry it after washing.
- This item might provide you with more features than you need if you would prefer a more basic vegetable peeler.
4. Best Vegetable Peeler with Comfortable Handle: Linden Sweden Fruit and Vegetable Peeler
Yet another vegetable peeler that is designed to be easy and comfortable to use is this one from Linden Sweden. If you are tired of peelers with handles that are uncomfortable or difficult to hold, this might be a good option for you. It features a soft-grip handle that is ergonomic to help prevent discomfort, slipping, and cramps in your hands during use. Plus, it is ideal for both left-handed and right-handed individuals.
Other attractive features include the 18/10 stainless steel blades that will not rust and are designed to remain sharp and glide effortlessly and smoothly over whatever produce you are peeling. And we also like that this vegetable peeler is designed to be easy to clean—all you have to do is put it in your dishwasher when you are done using it.
- This vegetable peeler has blades made of stainless steel that will be sharp and resistant to rust.
- You can wash this vegetable peeler in the dishwasher.
- The handle is designed to be comfortable and easy to grip and hold during use.
- Some customer reviews state that this vegetable peeler might break easily.
5. Best Vegetable Peeler with Built-In Container: Geedel Vegetable Peeler with Container
Are you tired of the mess that can happen when you are peeling produce? Well, there are some vegetable peelers that come with containers that you can easily attach and detach, as needed, to catch the shreds that are cut off a piece of fruit or a veggie. This particular item has the blade built into the container, and it comes with three blades that are interchangeable for even more versatility.
The three blades you get are: a straight edge blade, which is great for peeling hard produce; a serrated blade, which is a good choice when you need to peel soft vegetables and fruits; and a fine shredding blade that can be used for julienning veggies that range from carrots to pumpkins.
We also like that this product is BPA free and dishwasher safe. And it has a non-slip handle, along with blades that are super sharp, so you can peel ingredients quickly and easily.
- This vegetable peeler comes with a container and three interchangeable blades.
- This product is dishwasher safe for ease of cleaning.
- The sharp Japanese stainless steel blades and the non-slip handle make this product easy to use.
- This design is quite different from other vegetable peelers you might have used, so it might take some time to get used to it.
6. Best Vegetable Peeler with Interchangeable Blades: Mr&Mrs White Trio Multifunctional Veggie and Fruit Peeler Set of 3
Another vegetable peeler that gives you the versatility that comes with being able to switch between different types of blades is this option. It comes with one handle and three detachable blades, and one blade also has a built-in potato eye remover for added convenience.
This product features a plastic handle that is easy to hold, as well as stainless steel blades that are nice and sharp. The blades include a large peeler, a standard straight peeler with a potato eye remover, and a julienne peeler. This means you can use this one product on a variety of fruits and vegetables without skipping a beat, as all you have to do is choose the right blade for the task.
- Because this vegetable peeler comes with three blades and one handle, it can help you save space.
- You can wash this product in the dishwasher.
- Some customer reviews state that changing the blades on this vegetable peeler can be difficult, so caution should be used to avoid hurting yourself.
7. Best Electric Vegetable Peeler: Starfrit Rotato Express Electric Peeler
When you want to make the process of peeling vegetables really easy on yourself, you might want to turn to an electric veggie peeler. This one features a non-slip base to help it stay in place while you use it, and it’s simple to use.
When you’re ready to peel vegetables, all you have to do is center an ingredient on the food holder that’s on the bottom. Then, lower the other food holder so it grabs the vegetable. Raising the cutter arm is the next step before you turn the product on and let it work on peeling all of the skin off quickly. Once the cutter arm gets to the bottom, this electric peeler will turn off, and then you just have to remove the vegetable.
- This electric peeler does all of the work for you, and can help reduce food waste.
- You get two spare blades with this vegetable peeler.
- You can peel a variety of fruits and veggies with this peeler.
- Although this product is designed to be easy to use, caution should be exercised because it does have sharp parts, like the holder spike and the blade that peels the vegetables.
- It might be a little hard to remove the vegetable, as you need to use a rocking motion and pull it towards yourself.
8. Best Vegetable Peeler Set: KitchenAid Classic Euro Peeler
Last on our list is this vegetable peeler set from KitchenAid, which is yet another option that can help you get a variety of products with just one purchase. You get one julienne peeler, one Y-peeler, and one serrated peeler, so you’ll have exactly what you need when you need it.
Each vegetable peeler in this set boasts a stainless steel blade and ergonomic, comfortable handle, so you can use these to quickly and easily peel your produce when preparing meals.
- You get a set of three different vegetable peelers for an affordable price.
- These peelers feature handles that are designed to be comfortable to hold.
- Some customer reviews show disappointment regarding the durability of this set of peelers.
Things to look out for:
You might assume that there isn’t much thought that needs to go into buying a simple tool like a vegetable peeler, but there are actually a few things you should look into as you compare the details of various products. Here are some things we recommend you check before deciding on the peeler that’s right for you:
First, consider the blade’s shape, as well as the shape of the handle, and how you will need to position your hand to use the peeler properly. Will it be easy for you to use it, and will it be comfortable?
You might want to try out different styles before deciding which ones you like the most. For example, a Y-peeler is popular because it is easy to use, especially on larger vegetables and those that have a thicker skin. On the other hand, a swivel peeler might be right if you need to peel a thinner, smaller vegetable like a carrot. And if you are accustomed to using a paring knife, you might find that a swivel peeler is similar. Plus, there are straight blades, julienne blades, and serrated blades to consider too.
When you can’t decide which blade you prefer, or you want to have multiple options with a single product so you don’t have to buy several vegetable peelers, you might want to go with one that has interchangeable blades.
No matter what shape you choose for the blade of the vegetable peeler, the most important thing is that it’s sharp. That way, it will work fast and without the need to use a lot of pressure. Many popular peelers boast stainless steel that can last a long time when properly cared for. However, you might also come across vegetable peelers with carbon steel or ceramic blades as well.
Another thing to consider is the design of the handle. If a vegetable peeler isn’t easy to hold or it’s uncomfortable in your hand, it will make the task of peeling produce much more difficult. And going with a product that has a non-slip handle can help ensure you can use the peeler safely and effectively.
Finally, consider how easy it would be to thoroughly clean a vegetable peeler. Do you need to wash it by hand or can you just toss it into the dishwasher? And if you’re using an electric peeler, how easy will it be to clean?
Photo credit: Africa Studio/Shutterstock