The right BBQ sauce can make a meal amazing, whether you are preparing a meat-based or plant-based recipe, so it is important to choose wisely. With so many varieties of BBQ sauce available, from those that are spicy to those that are sweet, there really is something for everyone and every yummy dish that you want to prepare for lunch or dinner.
Although BBQ sauces can be super flavorful, they could also be packed with sugar, and that isn’t a good thing. And you don’t need to be on a diet to keep track of your sugar intake. You might just want to eat healthier foods, you might want to limit your consumption of sugar for health reasons or to better control your weight, or you might want to cut back on foods that are high in calories. In all of these cases, reading the nutrition facts label and ingredients list on a BBQ sauce will help you make smarter choices.
There Are Many Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce Options Out There
The great news is you don’t have to sacrifice flavor or the use of BBQ sauce in a variety of meals just because you want to reduce the amount of sugar you eat. There are a lot of different sugar-free BBQ sauces that you can choose from, and you can even purchase many of them at affordable prices online to have them delivered right to your door. So, if you are disappointed by the options that are available at your local grocery stores, you might find that you have a lot more BBQ sauces to choose from when you start searching for them online.
From BBQ sauces that contain only organic ingredients to those that are non-GMO and are great for those following a vegan diet, there is something for everyone. And, just like other BBQ sauces, the sugar-free varieties can add a lot of flavor to your meals, whether you prefer spicy, sweet, or a classic BBQ sauce flavor.
Read the Ingredients List and Nutrition Facts Carefully
When you are shopping for BBQ sauces that are free of sugar, just keep in mind that they might not be totally free of sugar or they might contain sweeteners you don’t want.
For instance, some sauces use honey, maple syrup, or molasses. If you want to avoid those types of ingredients, the only way to know if they’re in a sauce is by reading the ingredients label carefully. The same goes for artificial sweeteners like sucralose. If you want to avoid those, be sure to take a minute to read through the ingredients list on a sauce carefully to be sure you aren’t going to be consuming any ingredients you don’t want.
As mentioned above, reading the nutrition facts label is important. Some sugar-free BBQ sauces do contain small amounts of sugar from other ingredients. For instance, if a BBQ sauce is sweet thanks to fruit ingredients, you might notice a low amount of sugar on the nutrition facts label. However, you might also notice that there is no added sugar, which is a plus. Again, just check the ingredients list to see where the sugar content is coming from in a product that doesn’t contain any added sugar.
Don’t want to compromise? Many BBQ sauces do boast zero grams of sugar, so if you want to stick with those, you certainly can.
Are You Ready to Search for a Delicious Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce?
If you are ready to start using a sugar-free BBQ sauce for everything from burger toppings to marinades and more, there are a lot of options that you can choose from, but you might not know where to begin if you don’t already have some specific brands in mind. Well, we are here to help.
Below is a list of BBQ sauces that we think are worth considering when you want to reduce your sugar intake without sacrificing flavor. Perhaps one of these will be the perfect match for your flavor preferences.
1. Editor’s Choice: Simple Girl Organic Southern Blend Sugar Free BBQ Sauce
This sugar-free BBQ sauce from Simple Girl has a lot of great features. First off, it is USDA Organic. Secondly, in addition to being sugar-free, it is also gluten free and non-GMO. Plus, it is vegan, oil free, and free of artificial sweeteners. There are 0 grams of added sugar, no fat, and just 5 calories per serving too. Overall, this can be a fantastic choice if you want to get a healthier BBQ sauce that is flavorful and contains natural ingredients.
- This sugar-free BBQ sauce contains organic, non-GMO ingredients.
- This BBQ sauce is gluten free and vegan.
- There aren’t any artificial sweeteners or added sugars in this BBQ sauce.
- This BBQ sauce is sweetened with stevia, so if you aren’t a fan of it, you might not like this sauce.
2. Runner Up: Keto Barbecue BBQ Sauce by Yo Mama’s Foods
Another sugar-free BBQ sauce that has a lot of nice features is this one from Yo Mama’s Foods. It is all natural, gluten free, and appropriate for those following vegan, keto, and paleo eating plans. In addition to all of that, it is low in sodium, features fresh ingredients like non-GMO tomato paste, and contains 0 grams of added sugars. It is sweetened with monk fruit, and each serving has just 1 gram of carbohydrates, 0 calories, and 0 grams of fat.
- This sugar-free BBQ sauce is appropriate for people following various diets, from vegan to keto.
- This BBQ sauce is naturally sweetened with monk fruit, and it does not contain any added sugars.
- This sauce boasts natural ingredients.
- This is a classic BBQ flavor, so it might not be suitable for all recipes.
3. Best Organic: Primal Kitchen’s Classic BBQ Sauce, Organic & Unsweetened
This unsweetened BBQ sauce from Primal Kitchen is USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, and gluten free. It does not contain any soy, and it is appropriate for various diets, including vegan, paleo, and keto. It has a smoky flavor, and each serving contains 0 grams of fat, 15 calories, and 3 grams of carbs. Also, there are 2 grams of total sugar but 0 grams of added sugars, so you’re getting sugar from the ingredients themselves rather than from sugar that was added to make it sweeter.
- This BBQ sauce is great for those following various diets.
- This is a BBQ sauce that contains natural, organic, and non-GMO ingredients.
- There is no fat in this BBQ sauce.
- Although this BBQ sauce doesn’t contain any added sugars and is unsweetened, the nutrition facts label states that there are 2 grams of sugar per serving.
4. Best Keto-Friendly: KINDER’S Keto Friendly Zero Sugar Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce
If you are in search of a sugar-free BBQ sauce that is also keto friendly, this one from Kinder’s might be ideal. It contains 0 grams of sugar, 0 grams of fat, and 10 calories per serving. You won’t find any high fructose corn syrup in this sauce, which is also gluten free, so you can enjoy it in a variety of recipes.
- This BBQ sauce contains 0 grams of sugar.
- This sauce is a great choice if you are following the keto diet.
- This BBQ sauce is low in calories and contains clean ingredients.
- This BBQ sauce contains roasted garlic, so it might not appeal to all people.
5. Best Gluten-Free: Gourmet Warehouse Small Batch Sugar Free BBQ Sauce
Another great sugar-free BBQ sauce option that is worth considering is this one from Gourmet Warehouse. It is also a good choice if you want a bit of spicy heat with your BBQ sauce flavor. And this sauce is keto friendly and paleo friendly, as it contains just 1 gram of carbs per serving. In addition to that, each serving contains 0 grams of sugar, 0 grams of fat, and just 5 calories.
- This BBQ sauce is made in small batches.
- This sauce does not contain any sugar.
- This BBQ sauce is described as thick and smoky.
- If you don’t want your BBQ sauce to have any heat, this one isn’t right for you.
6. Best Naturally Sweetened: Keto BBQ Sauce by Halo + Cleaver – No Sugar BBQ Sauce Sweetened with Fruit | Sweet + Smoky Flavor
Would you prefer a BBQ sauce that is naturally sweetened so you can get the flavor you crave without the guilt? Then check out this option from Halo + Cleaver. It contains 0 grams of fat and 25 calories per serving, and there are 4 grams of total sugar but there aren’t any added sugars. Plus, it is plant-based, Non-GMO Project Verified, and gluten free, and it is appropriate for those on the keto diet, so it can work for people following various diets.
- This BBQ sauce contains ingredients like pineapple juice concentrate and apple juice concentrate for sweetness.
- This sauce contains natural ingredients.
- This sweet and smoky BBQ sauce is appropriate for those following a plant-based diet, keto diet, and gluten free diet.
- This BBQ sauce does contain 4 grams of total sugars, without any added sugars, so if you’re searching for a sauce that has 0 grams of sugar, it may not be right for you.
7. Best with Stevia: Rufus Teague – Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce Smoke ‘N Chipotle – Premium Barbecue Sauce
This sugar-free BBQ sauce is Non-GMO Project Verified and good for those following keto and gluten free diets. It contains natural ingredients, and it gets its sweetness from stevia. It also contains 0 grams of fat, 0 grams of sugar, 15 calories, and 3 grams of carbs per serving. And you can use this in a variety of recipes because it is thick and rich.
- This BBQ sauce boasts 0 grams of fat and 0 grams of sugar.
- Stevia is used to naturally sweeten this BBQ sauce.
- This is a spicy BBQ sauce that might not appeal to all palates.
8. Best Variety Pack: Nature’s Hollow, Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce Variety Pack, Honey Mustard and Hickory Maple
If you want to experiment with a variety of flavors, this variety pack is a great option to consider. You get the sugar-free honey mustard flavor and the sugar-free hickory maple flavor, so you get two BBQ sauces for an affordable price. Enjoy the flavor without the sugar or gluten, and rest assured that this product is also non-GMO and low in calories and carbs.
- You get two different BBQ sauces so you can enjoy more flavors.
- These BBQ sauces are sweetened with xylitol, and contain 0 grams of sugar.
- These sauces are gluten free and non-GMO.
- These flavors might not be right for you if you want a different type of BBQ sauce.
Things to look out for:
When you are looking for a good BBQ sauce that not only tastes great but is also sugar-free, you might feel a bit confused about where to begin and how to make the right decision. By keeping the following in mind, though, you should find it easier to narrow down your options rather quickly:
First, consider the quality of the ingredients that you want in a BBQ sauce. If you want to stick with gluten free, organic, non-GMO, etc., be sure to look for that information on a product’s label. Also, consider whether you are okay with consuming a BBQ sauce that contains animal ingredients or if you want to go with a plant-based option—if you are following a vegan lifestyle, you will certainly want to be sure that the sugar-free BBQ you choose is suitable for you.
Another thing to consider is the flavor of the BBQ sauce. Do you want something spicy or sweet? No matter what, though, it’s smart to consider how sweet you want the sauce to be. After all, just because a product is sugar-free does not mean that it won’t be sweet. As you can see by the reading through the list above, many BBQ sauces are sweetened with other ingredients, such as fruits. And some sauces might contain maple syrup, molasses, or honey for sweetness, but if you are following a sugar-free or low-sugar diet, you might want to avoid those as well. In other words, cane sugar isn’t the only thing to look for.
As mentioned in the introduction above, it is a great idea to carefully look through the nutrition facts label on a BBQ sauce, in addition to the ingredients list. That way, you can be sure you are getting something that will match your needs in terms of the amount of fat, calories, sodium, etc. Again, just because a BBQ sauce is labeled sugar-free might not mean it contains absolutely no sugar at all, but it should at least show that it does not contain any added sugar.
Doing some research into the brand that makes a BBQ sauce that you are thinking about trying is also a good idea. That way, you can get a better idea of where the sauces are made, the quality of the ingredients that are used, and more. You can also read customer reviews to gain more insight into whether or not a sugar-free BBQ sauce tastes good and lives up to its flavor claims.
Quantity and price are other factors to consider when shopping for a yummy BBQ sauce that is sugar free. There are sauces that are surprisingly pricey, but if they have higher quality, all-natural ingredients, or you are getting a bigger bottle that will last longer, you might decide that they are worth the extra cost. If you are on a budget, though, don’t worry, as there are plenty of affordable options you can choose from as well. And many BBQ sauces are sold in multipacks to help you save some extra money too.
Finally, keep in mind that, when it comes to things like sugar-free BBQ sauces, it might take a little trial and error to find the ones that are right for the recipes that you are planning on making. Just because you don’t find the perfect sauce right away doesn’t mean that it isn’t out there. You can certainly have your BBQ sauce without the guilt of high amounts of sugar; it is just a matter of finding it. Hopefully, the list above has helped you get a much better idea of what is available, and this might be all you need to find the sauce that will give you the flavor you crave.
Photo credit: Elena Veselova/Shutterstock