Whether you want to take small steps to help the environment or you just want to save some money, purchasing a few silicone food covers can be a smart strategy. But what are silicone lids, and what’s the point of looking into reusable food covers? We’ve got you covered with some helpful information below.
Why You Should Consider Getting Some Silicone Food Covers
Rather than needing to rely on plastic wrap or aluminum foil all the time when you have leftovers that need to be stored away, when you are heating up food before serving it (that’s right, you can find silicone food covers that are heat resistant, which means you can put them in the microwave), or when you are traveling with food, you can apply a reusable silicone lid. It’s that simple!
Another nice thing about silicone food covers is that they are really affordable. You can purchase sets of silicone lids or you can buy just one that you think will work for you. Plus, you can find this product in a variety of sizes, as well as in different shapes, such as square, rectangular, and circular. And you can even find those that will stretch so they will fit on various bowls with ease.
All of this basically means you can have a reusable lid for every bowl that you use to keep food fresh. And you can even find silicone lids that will work on jars, bottles, and cookware like pots and pans too, so you have a lot of options. In fact, you might be surprised by how versatile these reusable food covers can be.
Silicone Food Covers Are Easy to Use and Clean
What about cleaning your silicone food cover? Well, the good news is that these can be dishwasher safe to make cleanup super simple. So, instead of tossing plastic wrap into the trash, you can instead place your silicone lid in the dishwasher to clean it and use it again and again. This creates less waste and helps you save money over time because you won’t need to buy as much plastic wrap. Pretty sweet, right?
Start Your Search for the Right Silicone Food Covers
Once you begin shopping for the best silicone food cover, you might find yourself feeling a little confused about which one to go with. Again, you can find silicone lids that are sold individually or you can buy them in sets, many of which give you multiple sizes for extra convenience.
It’s up to you to decide how many lids you want and how big you want them to be to suit your unique needs. You might find that buying a set with more than one size and/or shape is less expensive overall when compared to buying them separately, or you might not want to spend money on a set. Work within your budget, as there really is something for everyone.
To help you get started, we’ve put together the following list of the best silicone food covers that we think are worth your consideration. Check out what these eight options have to offer, and then read through the additional tips below to learn a bit more about how you can make the right buying decision.
1. Editor’s Choice: GIR: Get It Right Premium Silicone Round Lid
This round silicone lid is a great place to begin when you want to start a collection of silicone food covers that you can use daily. It is available in multiple color options, as well as multiple sizes, and it is affordably priced. Attractive features include the fact that it can create an airtight suction seal, it can be used on containers made of glass, plastic, aluminum, and stainless steel, and it is heat resistant up to 550°F. Plus, the handle on this product also makes it easier to use.
- This reusable silicone lid can be used on round containers made of various materials.
- Because this silicone food cover is heat resistant, you can use it in your microwave or oven.
- This product features heavy-duty silicone.
- This product does not contain BPA or BPS.
- You only get one silicone food cover, so if you would prefer to buy a set at once, this may not be your ideal option.
- This silicone food cover is designed to be used on round containers, so it won’t work on other shapes.
2. Runner Up: DASH Silicone Lids
When you are in search of an affordable set of silicone food covers, there is this option from DASH, which gives you a total of three covers that measure 8”, 10”, and 12”. Plus, they feature attractive teal, turquoise, and midnight colors that go beautifully together. You can use these on round containers, such as bowls and cookware. To use these, all you have to do is press down gently to create an airtight seal. And when you are done using them, you can stack them easily to store them away without taking up much space. And you can put these silicone food covers, which are heat safe to 425°F, in the oven and microwave, as well as in the freezer.
- You get a set of three silicone food covers, and each one is a different size so you get variety.
- These silicone lids feature a handle that makes them easier to use.
- You can wash these silicone food covers in the dishwasher.
- These silicone food covers are made specifically for round containers.
3. Best Set: HOGOWARE Set of 5 Silicone Suction Lids
Another great set of silicone food covers to consider is this one, which gives you a total of five lids of various sizes: 6”, 8”, 10”, 12”, and 14”. This gives you loads of options and really helps you reduce the need for plastic wrap. Plus, you put these silicone food covers in your refrigerator, freezer, oven, and microwave. They are even safe for use on the stove, and you can wash them quickly and easily by just putting them in the dishwasher when you are done. Just keep in mind that these are round, so they are suited for round containers like bowls.
- This set of silicone food covers features a lovely color, and it gives you multiple sizes to choose from.
- These silicone food covers are dishwasher safe, and they are able to withstand temperatures from -40°F to 450°F.
- This set of silicone lids is BPA free.
- The handle on each of these silicone lids helps you get a good grip.
- If you need silicone lids that will fit rectangular or square containers perfectly, these would not be the right choice.
4. Best Stretch: Zulay Kitchen Silicone Stretch Lids
The really neat thing about these silicone food covers is that they stretch to accommodate containers of various sizes. This is a set of 14, so you get plenty of them for an affordable price, and these come in attractive white and blue colors. They can withstand temperatures that range from -58°F to 450°F, so you can put them in the freezer and in the microwave. Also, they feature a ribbed 5-layer sealing ring, and they are made of 100% food grade silicone. But, again, what makes them stand out is that, in addition to being durable, they are easy to stretch to a larger size whenever necessary—for example, the smallest one can stretch from 2.6” to 4” while the largest one in the set can stretch from 9.8” to 12”.
- These silicone food covers are durable and can create a great seal on just about any round container.
- These expand and stretch to fit a container snugly and create a leakproof seal.
- These are BPA free silicone food covers.
- All of the silicone food covers in this set are round.
5. Best for Storing Leftovers: OXO Good Grips 3 Piece Reusable Silicone Lid and Splatter Guard Set
With this set from OXO, you get three silicone food covers: small, medium, and large. The small measures 6”, the medium measures 8”, and the large measures 11”. And what makes these a bit different from others on the market is the fact that they have a clear area in the center so you can see what’s inside the bowl. Plus, they are super simple to use—all you have to do is set one flat onto the top of a round container to quickly and easily create a seal that will help keep your food nice and fresh. And these lids work great on ceramic, glass, steel, and plastic containers.
- These silicone food covers come in a set of three, and each one is a different size.
- When you need to store these silicone food covers, they will snap together to save space.
- The clear section on these silicone lids is handy when you want to see what’s inside a bowl.
- These silicone food covers don’t have large handles like others do.
6. Best Microwave: Grand Fusion Reusable Vented Microwave Food Covers and Storage Wraps
This silicone food container set is a bit different from the others that are available. That’s because these lids are designed for storing and heating up your leftovers, with a vent specifically useful for microwaving food. First, you just stretch a cover over the container that you are using to store your food. This should create an airtight seal. Then, when you want to heat up the food, you can put it in your microwave and let the vent in the silicone food cover release steam as it heats up. These lids can handle temperatures up to 450°F, and you can use them on containers made of ceramic, glass, plastic, and stainless steel. Plus, when you are done, you can clean them in your dishwasher.
- These silicone food covers have vents that make them a great choice when heating food up in the microwave.
- You can stretch these silicone food covers over various bowls and plates to create an airtight seal.
- These silicone lids are dishwasher safe, as well as microwave safe and refrigerator safe.
- You can only use these silicone food covers on round containers.
7. Best Rectangular and Circular Set: BE Silicone Stretch Lids
When you want a set of silicone lids that will give you a variety of sizes to choose from, as well as more than just round covers, this might be the ideal choice. For an affordable price, you get a total of 14 pieces, with eight of them being round and the remaining six being rectangular to fit various containers. When you get one of these lids onto a container, you can reap the benefits of an airtight seal that can help stop leaks too. And you can use these in the microwave and put them in the refrigerator as well.
- You get a set of 14 silicone food covers that boast various sizes.
- Each lid can be stretched to fit a container and create a tight seal.
- You can use these silicone lids on rectangular and round bowls and containers.
- These silicone lids can withstand temperatures ranging from -40°F to 446°F.
- You can wash these silicone food covers in the dishwasher.
- Unlike other silicone food covers, these don’t have handles.
- Each of these silicone lids can be stretched to accommodate a larger container, but some people might find it hard to do so.
8. Best Multi-Purpose: True Nature Silicone Stretch Food Covers 12-Pk
Finally, there is this multi-pack, which gives you six round silicone lids and another six lids that can be used on square containers. Sizes range from 2.5” to 8”, but each of these lids can stretch to fit onto larger containers whenever necessary. When put on properly, they will create a seal that is both airtight and leakproof. And when you need to clean them, you can simply put them in the dishwasher. But what’s also nice about this particular set is that they are eco-friendly because they are recyclable. Plus, they are free of BPA, BPS, lead, and phthalates.
- This set provides you with both round and square silicone lids in a variety of sizes.
- You can stack these silicone food covers to save space when you aren’t using them, and you also get a handy canvas storage bag for them.
- These silicone lids can be thoroughly cleaned in the dishwasher, and they are also microwave and oven safe.
- These silicone lids might be difficult to stretch to fit all containers.
Things to look out for:
When you are looking for the best silicone food cover, there are a few things to keep in mind. We recommend keeping an eye out for certain features, such as the following:
First, measure the bowls, bottles, pots, etc. that you plan on using with your silicone food covers. This will tell you what sizes to look for when you begin shopping. If you need more than one size, you might find that purchasing a set of silicone lids is the way to go to save money in the long run and avoid the hassle of having to find each product separately. Also, some of the silicone food covers you will come across might even be easy to stretch so you can adjust them to fit containers of various sizes.
In addition to size, take the shapes of your food containers into consideration as you shop. Do you only need round silicone food covers or do you want to get those that will fit square and rectangular containers too? Again, lids that you can stretch to get the right fit can be really convenient and may help you save money that you’d otherwise have to spend on several different silicone lids.
No matter what, the silicone food cover you choose should be designed in a way that ensures you will get an airtight seal whenever you use it. After all, if you are going to be storing food in a bowl and covering it with a silicone lid instead of plastic wrap, you will want to be sure that it will be able to provide the same type of seal that you would get with the plastic wrap.
Another thing to look into is whether or not a silicone food cover will be resistant to heat. But if you are not planning on using these lids when heating up food, this might not be something that you have to think about.
Also, when it comes to silicone products for the kitchen, checking the quality of the materials that were used to make them is wise—more specifically, the quality of the silicone that was used.
Finally, check how easy it will be to clean the silicone lid. Can you just put it in your dishwasher for quick and easy cleanup or do you need to wash it by hand? Think about what you would prefer and narrow your options that way.
Photo credit: Space_Cat/Shutterstock