If you cook meals at home, you need at least one good quality saucepan in your toolkit. This pan will allow you to create delicious sauces, but it can also be used to prepare a wide range of ingredients, from rice and pasta to soups, stews, and more. But when you start shopping for a saucepan, you might quickly start to feel a little confused about which one is right for you.
Saucepans come in a range of sizes, and even their shapes can vary. Plus, they are also made of a variety of materials to suit everyone’s unique preferences in the kitchen. And different saucepans can also boast different features that might not be suitable for all cooks.
To help make the process of shopping for a saucepan a little easier, we have compiled a short list of some of our top picks below, and you can also find some tips on what to look for in a saucepan as well. Continue reading to learn more so you can shop with more confidence when you want a high-quality product that will last.
1. Best Ceramic Saucepan: GreenPan Lima Healthy Ceramic Nonstick, Saucepan Set
If you want to give a ceramic saucepan a try, or if you have used ceramic cookware and you really like it and want to stick with it, check out this set from GreenPan. For an affordable price, you get two saucepans: one 2-quart pan and one 1-quart pan, so you can have a pan for every recipe you want to prepare.
These pans are designed to be resistant to scratches, and they feature hard anodized aluminum, along with a riveted stainless steel handle that is comfortable and easy to grip. Plus, you can put these saucepans in your broiler or in your oven, as long as the temperature is up to 600°F. And what’s really nice about these pans is that their ceramic coating is free of lead, cadmium, PFAS, and PFOA.
- You can use these saucepans on all cooktops except induction.
- These saucepans features a ceramic nonstick coating that is PFOA free, cadmium free, lead free, and PFAS free.
- These saucepans are easy to clean and scratch-resistant.
- These saucepans should be hand washed only, so they aren’t a good choice if you want to be able to wash them in the dishwasher.
- These saucepans do not come with lids.
2. Best Nonstick Saucepan: Farberware Dishwasher Safe Nonstick Sauce Pan/Saucepan with Straining and Lid
This saucepan from Farberware boasts a lot of great features. First off, it’s a nonstick pan that is made of heavy-duty materials. It is designed to heat up quickly and also distribute heat evenly to help ensure you get delicious results every time you use it. And the nonstick interior is durable and can help prevent food from sticking to the pan.
We also like that there are two pour spouts on this saucepan, so if you need to pour your soup or sauce out into a bowl, you can do so cleanly and easily. Then, you can just pop this saucepan into your dishwasher for super simple cleanup.
Other nice features include the fact that this saucepan is oven safe, and it also comes with a glass lid that has straining holes and is resistant to shattering.
- This saucepan has a nonstick interior that is PFOA free and can help ensure your food releases quickly and easily when you’re done cooking.
- You can place this saucepan into your oven, and it is also dishwasher safe.
- This saucepan comes with a glass lid and has two pour spouts.
- You can choose from 1-quart and 3-quart sizes.
- Some customer reviews state that this saucepan emits an odor when heated.
3. Best Stainless Steel Saucepan: Cuisinart MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 1-1/2-Quart Saucepan with Cover
If you are interested in adding a stainless steel saucepan to your collection, this one from Cuisinart is worth checking out. It is a 1.5-quart saucepan that is made of durable 18/10 stainless steel, and it also has a solid aluminum core, so it is built to be strong, last a long time, and deliver great results when you want to cook meals with evenly distributed heat.
With stainless steel pots and pans, you might end up noticing that the handles get really hot during use. This can be dangerous, as you run the risk of burning yourself when you go to grab the handle. But with this saucepan, the stainless steel handle is made to remain cool to the touch, and it is riveted to ensure it will be secure and strong.
This saucepan also comes with a stainless steel lid that can come in really handy when preparing a variety of recipes. Plus, it is broiler safe, oven safe, and dishwasher safe for added convenience and versatility.
- This stainless steel saucepan comes with a stainless steel lid.
- This saucepan has a tapered rim to make it easier to pour your food without making a mess.
- The handle is designed to remain cool.
- This pan does not have a nonstick coating, so care may need to be taken to ensure food doesn’t stick.
4. Top Pick Best Cast Iron Saucepan: Tramontina Covered Sauce Pan Enameled Cast Iron
Do you prefer using cast iron cookware? Then you’ll want to take a look at this enameled cast iron saucepan, which is PTFE free and PFOA free. It has a porcelain enamel surface, and you can use it on all cooktops, from gas and electric to induction. Plus, it is oven safe up to 450°F.
Although this is a saucepan that you should only wash by hand, it is designed to be easy to clean. It also comes with a self-basting lid, it has durable handles that make it easy to lift and carry, and it is built to be long lasting.
One thing to keep in mind is that, even though this saucepan doesn’t require that you season it because it has an enamel coating, seasoning the lid rim and the vessel rim is recommended because the cast iron in those areas isn’t coated.
- This cast iron saucepan will retain heat and distribute it evenly.
- This saucepan comes with a lid, it is oven safe, and it can be used on a variety of cooktops.
- Seasoning this saucepan isn’t required.
- This saucepan should only be washed by hand, so you should not put it in the dishwasher.
- Care should be taken to avoid dropping this saucepan or hitting it against hard surfaces because doing so might cause damage.
5. Best Saucepan Set: MICHELANGELO Saucepan 3-Piece Set
Buying a set of saucepans is a great way to get matching high-quality products while saving money and ensuring you will have various sizes of saucepans to choose from when you need to prepare recipes at home. This set provides you with three copper saucepans: a 1-quart, a 2-quart, and a 3-quart saucepan to suit all of your needs.
All of these are nonstick saucepans that are lead free, PTFA free, PFOA free, and cadmium free. They are easy to use and simple to clean, and they also have a ceramic interior that evenly distributes heat and further makes it easy to release food when it is done cooking. Plus, these come with tempered glass lids, and they have durable stainless steel handles that are ergonomically designed to make it easy to grip and hold your saucepans.
- You can use these saucepans on a variety of cooktops, and they are oven safe.
- The handles on these saucepans are long and ergonomically designed.
- Even though it’s best to hand wash these saucepans, they are dishwasher safe.
- You get three nonstick ceramic saucepans, each a different size, in this set. And each saucepan comes with a matching lid too.
- Unlike some other saucepans on the market, these don’t have a pour spout, so that’s something to consider if you really want that feature.
6. Best Small Saucepan: P&P CHEF 1 Quart Saucepan
Are you just looking to add a small saucepan to your collection of pots and pans? Then this one from P&P Chef might do the trick. It is a 1-quart pan that is made of durable stainless steel, and it is non-toxic and designed to not rust.
Other nice features include the riveted handle that is easy to grip and comfortable to hold, and it also stays cool to the touch when you’re using it on the stove. Plus, the handle has a hole that makes it easy to hang this pan when it is stored after use.
In addition to all of that, this small saucepan comes with a matching lid that is made of glass so you can watch your ingredients as they cook. The lid also has a steam hole to help prevent your water from boiling over.
- This saucepan is made of stainless steel so it will last a long time without rusting.
- The handle on this saucepan is heat proof for your comfort and safety. And the glass lid fits the pan perfectly.
- This saucepan is dishwasher safe and can be used on a variety of cooktops.
- This saucepan doesn’t have a nonstick coating.
7. Best Large Saucepan: ZWILLING Spirit Ceramic Nonstick Saucepan
Sometimes, you need a large saucepan that can hold a lot of ingredients for a large meal, and that is when this 4-quart stainless steel saucepan can come in handy. Its features include an aluminum core that can heat up quickly and is capable of conducting heat evenly, a nonstick ceramic coating that is PFOA free and PTFE free, and a flared rim that is great for pouring without making a mess.
This large saucepan also comes with a tempered glass lid, so you can watch your ingredients while they are cooking. In addition to the long handle, you can also use the helper handle to lift, carry, and move this saucepan around with ease—and both handles are designed to stay cool for your comfort and safety. Plus, this saucepan is oven safe and dishwasher safe too.
- This is a large saucepan that can hold 4 quarts.
- This stainless steel saucepan has a ceramic nonstick coating.
- This saucepan features a helper handle and a glass lid.
- You can use this saucepan on a variety of cooktops.
- Some customer reviews complain about the quality of the nonstick coating on this saucepan.
8. Best Saucepan with Straining Lid: Anolon Allure Hard Anodized Nonstick Sauce Pan/Saucepan with Straining and Lid
For a saucepan that is a little different, check out this one from Anolon, which comes with a convenient lid that doubles as a strainer. That’s right: when you need to pour something out of this pan, but it needs to be strained, you can do it all in one simple step without needing to get a colander.
The saucepan itself is 3.5 quarts, so it is a good size for preparing a range of recipes, and it boasts hard-anodized aluminum for durability and even heating. You can put this saucepan in the oven, as well as in the dishwasher, and the flat rivets make it easy to clean this product thoroughly. Plus, it also has a nonstick coating that is on the inside and outside to make food release and cleanup a breeze. And the coating is PFOA free, too.
- This saucepan features hard-anodized aluminum, so it is built to be strong and long lasting.
- You can put this saucepan in the oven, and it is also dishwasher safe.
- The nonstick coating on this saucepan is PFOA free.
- This saucepan’s matching shatter-resistant lid has a built-in strainer that works perfectly with the spouts on the pan.
- This saucepan is not suitable for induction cooktops.
Things to look out for:
When you are on the hunt for the right saucepan that you can use to prepare a variety of yummy recipes for your entire family, there are a few things that are worth looking into to be sure you make the ideal selection. Here are some of the features that we recommend checking out to determine if a saucepan is right for you:
First off, as is the case when shopping for just about any cooking tool or utensil, consider the material that the saucepan is made of. Do you prefer a saucepan that has a nonstick surface, or do you want one that’s made of stainless steel, ceramic, or cast iron? Or do you want to go with one that has layers consisting of metals like copper, steel, and aluminum? The material that a saucepan is made of will determine how well it heats up and distributes heat, as well as how easy it will be to clean.
In addition to the material that a saucepan is made of, you also want to look into its size. Do you need a large saucepan, a medium sized one, or a small one? All of these options are available, so you can select the one that will give you the room you need to cook up your favorite recipes.
Another thing to look into is the way that the saucepan is designed for ease of use. Does the handle remain cool to the touch or does it get so hot that it might be dangerous to use the saucepan because of the risk of burning yourself? And is it easy to grip and carry the saucepan, particularly when it is filled with ingredients? It’s certainly a good idea to go with a pan that has a high-quality, ergonomically designed handle that makes it easy to hold, and you also want a saucepan that will be sturdy but not too heavy.
A few other things to look for include: how easy it is to pour your sauce out of the pan (e.g. if it has a lip that’s rounded to ensure you won’t end up with a mess if you need to pour the sauce you prepared), how well the lid fits on the saucepan, if the pan comes with any helpful accessories, and the overall shape of the pan.
Photo credit: New Africa/Shutterstock