If you’re like a lot of people these days, you rely on coffee to give you energy. But if you love going out for a latte, you might be wishing that you could get the same yummy and warming cup of coffee at home. Well, if you’ve had trouble achieving this goal in the past, the trick might be to get a good quality milk steamer. With a milk steamer, you can add warmth to your milk and also create a delicate foam that can add texture to your drink so your coffee won’t be so boring anymore. And the best part is that you can have your favorite latte whenever you want, without leaving the house and without needing to spend a lot of money.
You can learn how to use a milk steamer quickly. And you might be surprised by how easy it is to use. Once you get the hang of it, you will be able to make yummy cappuccinos and lattes with whichever flavors you prefer, such as vanilla or pumpkin spice. Get creative, and enjoy the fact that you’ll be in control over the ingredients in your beverage. For instance, this can be a great strategy if you want a tasty coffee without all of the sugar and calories that are typically found in the many popular drinks at large coffee chains. Or, if you want to avoid dairy, you can use any plant-based milk that you prefer.
When it comes to a milk steamer, buying the right one that you’ll find easy to use and easy to clean is the key. You can choose from those that use a wand that forces steam into your cup of milk, or you can find products that don’t use steam but are able to achieve the same effect. Also, keep in mind that some milk steamers will also froth your milk, so you don’t need to necessarily purchase a separate milk frother if you end up investing in the right steamer.
What are some of the many milk steamers on the market that are worth your consideration when you’re ready to add this tool to your kitchen? Continue reading to access a list of eight products that have some attractive features.
1. Editor’s Choice: Hanchen Milk Steamer
This milk steamer will also froth your milk, so it’s a great choice if you want something that will make a delicious cappuccino, in addition to a flavorful latte. It’s convenient, it has a memory function to remember your recent temperature setting, and it’s designed to be easy to clean.
This product has an LED display, you can adjust the temperature, and it has an adjustable nozzle where the steam will be released in a consistent flow. Plus, it’s able to detect the water level so it doesn’t end up heating it too much.
Also, the removable water tray is made of stainless steel, and the water tank is detachable. And after you’re done using this machine to steam your milk just how you like it, you can simply press the cleaning button to keep things nice and simple.
- This milk steamer uses a wand to warm your milk and add froth.
- This product is designed to be easy to use and simple to clean.
- The steam rod and the temperature are adjustable.
- This is a great choice if you’re looking for a more traditional milk steamer that’s similar to those used in cafes.
- This milk steamer is larger than others that are available, so it might not be the best choice if you don’t have enough space for it.
2. Runner Up: Secura Milk Frother
With this single product, you can do three things: heat and froth your milk, heat your milk, or froth your cold milk. To choose the right function, you need to press the on/off button the right number of times.
This item is available in more than one size, so you can select the one that will work best for you. And because it’s compact, it can be easy to store when not in use. Plus, it features vacuum insulation and stainless steel. And the interior of this milk steamer is nonstick and marked with minimum and maximum levels, so you can be sure to use the right amount of milk every time.
Finally, we also like that this milk steamer comes with a cleaning brush so you can find it easier to get it completely clean after each use, and the base is detachable as well.
- With this product, you can heat your milk without frothing it or you can get cold froth or hot froth, so it’s versatile enough to make a variety of drinks at home.
- This milk steamer is easy to use, and it comes with a brush to make it simple to clean as well.
- Features include stainless steel, a detachable base, a nonstick interior, and vacuum insulation.
- This milk steamer might be too small for some users.
- Because there’s only one button for three functions, some people might find this product harder to use than others that have separate buttons for different functions.
3. Best Electric: Bonsenkitchen Electric Milk Frother and Steamer
The great thing about this milk steamer is it can do multiple things. You can use the cold function to froth your milk without heating it up, or you can select the option to heat your milk without creating any froth. Another option is to create a warm and airy froth, or you can also go with a froth that’s dense and warm. So, depending on the type of drink that you want to prepare, this machine has the right setting for you to get the best results.
What’s also nice about this product is it works quickly. It will only take about 2 minutes or less to heat up and froth your milk, and it will do so quietly, so it’s perfect for making early morning lattes without waking up the rest of your family.
When you’re done using this milk steamer, you’ll also love that it’s easy to clean. The jug is made of food grade stainless steel, and the nonstick coating helps ensure you’ll be able to get it totally clean so it’s ready to use again the next time you want to prepare a delicious beverage for yourself or a guest.
- This milk steamer has four functions that you can choose from, so it’s versatile enough to help you create a variety of drinks.
- The temperature control safety feature will turn off the unit when the froth is ready.
- This machine can prepare your milk however you’d like in about 2 minutes.
- Some customer reviews state they were disappointed with the durability of this milk steamer.
4. Best Stainless Steel: Huogary Electric Milk Frother and Steamer
If you want a stainless steel milk steamer, this one might be exactly what you’re looking for, as it’s built to be sturdy and durable. It’s another option that you can use when you want to get the right texture without needing to use actual steam for your latte or cappuccino.
This product features a double-wall design, non-slip silicone feet for stability, and a base that is detachable. To use it, all you have to do is press one button to select from cold frothing or hot frothing.
In less than 2 minutes, this product can quietly heat up and froth your milk so you can make a tasty latte right at home. When you’re ready to pour the milk into your mug, the angled spout can help prevent messes. And when you are done using it, cleaning it is a snap because of the nonstick coating.
- This stainless steel milk steamer can heat and froth your milk quickly with the touch of a button.
- You can choose from cold froth or hot froth.
- Thanks to the nonstick coating, this product is easy to clean.
- Because the maximum frothing capacity for this milk steamer is roughly 2 cups, it might be too small for some users.
- If you prefer to use a traditional steam wand, this product wouldn’t be right for you.
5. Best Multifunction: Souvia Automatic Milk Frother and Steamer
Yet another handy milk steamer is this electric foam maker and warmer. Because you can use it to make milk foam that’s hot or cold, you can make a variety of yummy drinks quickly and easily. Plus, it’s made of a stainless steel jug that’s coding-free and dishwasher safe.
Unlike products on this list with a preset button, this model has a dial you turn to choose the specific temperature you want it to perform at, reaching up to 160 degrees Fahrenheit. You can detach the pot for easy pouring, plus, there are marks for minimum and maximum levels so you don’t end up filling it with the wrong amount of milk. The two included magnetic whisks (one for lattes and one for cappuccinos) are removable for ease of cleaning and can be placed on the back of the machine for convenient storage.
What’s also interesting about this particular milk steamer is the fact that you can use any type of milk. It works quickly and quietly, too, which is certainly convenient.
- This electric milk steamer is easy to operate, as you choose your function by turning the dial to your desired temperature.
- This product can heat and froth any type of milk.
- This product has a magnetic slot to store the included frothers.
- This product doesn’t include a power button, it’s turned on when plugged into an outlet.
6. Best Milk Steamer and Frother: MatchaDNA Premium Milk Steamer & Frother Jug
When you want to both steam and froth any type of milk, this stainless steel option is a good item to check out. You can press a button to get it started so it will heat your milk quickly and create a froth that’s creamy and thick. And even if you don’t want your milk to be heated, you also have the option of getting a cold froth.
What’s great about this milk steamer and frother jug is it will get the job done in under 2 minutes, so you can enjoy a delicious, warm drink right away. And it will also shut off automatically, which is a nice safety feature. Plus, when you’re done using this milk steamer, you can detach the base to clean it, and the nonstick interior will also help ensure cleanup is a breeze.
- This product is made of stainless steel for durability, and it can heat your milk, as well as create hot and cold froth that’s thick.
- You can clean this product easily because the base detaches.
- It’s super easy to use this milk steamer because you just have to press a button to get it started.
- This milk steamer can heat only 1 cup, so it might be too small for some consumers.
7. Best Detachable: Secura Detachable Milk Frother, 17oz Electric Milk Steamer
This is another milk frother and steamer that you can consider. But what makes this one convenient is the removable jug and lid that are dishwasher safe. Just remove them from the base of the product when you’re done, and then cleanup is quick and simple. Plus, the jug has a spout that can make pouring the milk easier and mess-free as well.
You can use this product to heat your milk and to make hot or cold froth. It only takes a couple minutes, and it all starts with just pressing the button on the front to select the function you need.
- The jug and lid are removable from the base, and they are dishwasher safe.
- This product has an auto shut-off feature.
- You get a heating whisk and a frothing whisk.
- Some customer reviews state this milk steamer works too slowly.
8. Best with Memory Function: Hola Rico Milk Frother Electric Milk Foam Maker and Steamer
Last one our list is this electric milk steamer and foam maker that lets you adjust the temperature and the thickness of the foam (you can choose from low, medium, or high foam).
The LED display is ultra-convenient, and this milk steamer has a handy memory function that will remember how you used it the last time you needed your milk heated or frothed. Plus, it works in less than a minute. And it has dry burning resistant protection, which can give you peace of mind.
- This milk steamer has an LED display and lets you adjust the foam thickness and the temperature of your milk.
- The jug is made of stainless steel and its interior has a nonstick coating.
- This product comes with a sponge brush to make cleanup easier.
- The max volume for heating milk is 400 ml, so it might not be large enough for all users.
Things to look out for:
As you shop for the right milk steamer to suit your needs, there are several things to think about, such as the following:
Consider how much you want to spend on a milk steamer, as there are products of varying prices on the market. From those that are affordable and budget-friendly to those that are expensive and comparable to products used by cafes, there’s a range of options. It’s up to you to decide how important a milk steamer is in your daily life, and whether you’re willing to spend more on a more expensive, high-tech item or if you’re fine with something that’s more basic.
Another thing to consider is the style of milk steamer you want. While you might immediately think of a milk steamer with a wand (like what you’d find attached to some espresso machines) that adds steam to your milk to warm it up and create a froth, there are also electric steamers that can quickly and quietly heat up and froth milk without using any steam.
If you want to take a more hands-off approach, a milk steamer with a wand might not be the right choice. On the other hand, if you want to use actual steam to make your drinks as good as any you’d get at a cafe or restaurant, one with a wand might be the better choice.
Finally, consider how safe a milk steamer is, how easy it is to control, and how simple it will be to clean it. Many are made with durable materials like stainless steel, and you can also find products that have nonstick coatings for speedy cleanup. Check features closely so you can be sure you’ll make the right choice.
Photo credit: Victor Mulero/Shutterstock