If you don’t already have at least one good pair of kitchen scissors, also known as kitchen shears, it is time to start shopping for one or more products that you can keep within reach when working in your kitchen.
These affordable tools can help in the preparation of delicious home-cooked meals, as they come in really handy when you need to cut ingredients, from herbs and produce to meats, pizza, and so much more. And you can also use these scissors for other purposes as well, such as opening packages of food.
Are there any big differences between regular scissors and kitchen shears? Well, your average, everyday scissors are usually going to be smaller compared to shears, and they might also be less strong, so if you want larger, tougher scissors that can do a lot, you may want to stick with kitchen shears, in particular. Also, shears are designed to be easy to clean, especially if you can take them apart to wash them thoroughly. And the right pair of shears will have blades that are super sharp and a handle that is comfortable to hold so you don’t hurt yourself.
It’s ultimately up to you, your budget, and your needs and preferences if you want to add kitchen shears to your arsenal of tools in the kitchen. You might find that regular scissors suit your needs just fine, especially if you only need them for things like cutting cooking twine or parchment paper, as a couple examples.
When shopping for a good quality pair of kitchen shears, there are a lot of options that you can choose from, and some of them even come with extra features like bottle openers built in. We know that the process of narrowing down those options can quickly become daunting. That’s why we have compiled the handy list of items below that you can consider as you shop.
1. Best Basic Kitchen Scissors: KitchenAid All Purpose Shears with Protective Sheath
When you are searching for a pair of all-purpose kitchen shears that can be used for a variety of tasks, we recommend looking at what this option from KitchenAid has to offer. It boasts stainless steel blades that will resist rusting, and the blades also have micro-serrations to help ensure they will cut through a wide range of ingredients with ease.
We also like that this product has a handle that boasts a coating that’s soft and a shape that’s comfortable for the hand. If you have ever used kitchen shears that were difficult to hold, you know how important it is to switch to a product with a handle that can enhance your ability to maintain a firm and comfortable grip while you work.
Also, these kitchen shears come with a handy plastic guard that will help protect the blades when you store them away between uses. And, when you need to clean these shears, you can rest assured that they are dishwasher safe too.
- These kitchen shears feature thick, durable, and sharp stainless steel that will not be prone to rusting.
- The handle on these kitchen shears is designed to be comfortable to hold, and the soft-grip coating can help prevent the shears from slipping during use.
- Although this product is dishwasher safe, washing by hand is recommended.
- Because you can’t take these kitchen shears apart for cleaning, it’s important to wash and dry them thoroughly and carefully to prevent rust.
2. Best Kitchen Scissors for Herbs: OXO Good Grips Multi-Purpose Kitchen and Herbs Scissors
If you want kitchen shears that will do more than just cut, check out this product from OXO Good Grips. In addition to featuring tough and durable stainless steel blades that will make cutting through various foods a snap, this product also features a handy stripper that is located above the handle and is designed to remove herbs from their stems quickly and easily.
We also like that these kitchen shears are easier to clean than others, thanks to the fact that you can detach the blades to wash each one. And the handle, too, is worth mentioning because it features a cushioned grip to ensure your comfort during use.
- These kitchen shears feature a stripper for removing herbs from stems effortlessly.
- This product features micro-serrated stainless steel blades that can cut through various foods and a variety of items like cooking twine and cardboard.
- Because the two blades will come apart, you can clean the blades thoroughly and easily.
- Some customer reviews state that the blades come apart too easily, so caution is needed.
- These kitchen shears are best washed by hand rather than in the dishwasher.
3. Best Multi-Purpose Kitchen Scissors: ONEBOM Kitchen Shears 2 Pack
This is another pair of multi-purpose kitchen shears that is worth your consideration. They feature sharp Japanese blades that are durable, thick, and designed to make the task of cutting through ingredients and products like twine super simple. Plus, the large handle and the adjustable screw, which you can use to adjust the amount of tension, help ensure you will be able to use these shears comfortably.
In addition to the sharp blades for cutting, these shears have a serrated edge that you can use to scrape ingredients. And you can also use these shears as a convenient bottle opener too.
Note: when you purchase these kitchen shears, they also come with a pair of stainless steel herb scissors that you can use to cut your favorite herbs.
- The blades of these kitchen shears are made of Japanese high-carbon stainless steel that can remain sharp and resist rust.
- These kitchen shears have a large handle that helps you get and maintain a good grip during use.
- The adjustable screw on these kitchen shears gives you the chance to loosen or tighten them as you see fit.
- Hand washing is best to keep these kitchen shears in good condition.
- Some customer reviews state they aren’t satisfied with the way the herb scissors work.
4. Best Kitchen Scissors Set: Henckels Kitchen Shears, 5-pc Scissor Set
Do you want to buy a set of scissors and kitchen shears so you don’t have to worry about needing to buy several of them separately? Then this set from Henckels might be just what you are looking for. You get five scissors, each boasting stainless steel blades, a long lasting edge to ensure you can cut easily, and an ergonomic, non-slip handle that’s designed to be comfortable.
The products included in this set include a standard pair of scissors that are 8.5” and can be used for cutting fabric and paper, as well as a pair of kitchen shears that have a screw cap opener and measure 8” so they can be used for cutting various ingredients, including herbs. You also get a 6” straight trimmer, 6” flower shears, and 4” embroidery scissors.
- This set provides you with five different kitchen shears so you can have exactly what you need when you need it.
- These scissors are dishwasher safe, so they are simple to clean.
- In addition to stainless steel blades, these shears have comfortable, ergonomic handles.
- If you want to stick strictly with kitchen shears, this set might give you more than you need.
5. Best Kitchen Scissors to Give as a Gift: The French Pantry Kitchen Shear Gift Set – The Ultimate Three Piece Scissor Set
If you have been thinking about giving a high-quality kitchen shears set to someone you care about because you feel they could get a lot of use out of it, this gift set might be a good place to start your search for the perfect present.
This set provides you with four products that include multi-purpose kitchen shears that have micro-serrated blades and a nutcracker and bottle opener built in. In addition to that, you also get heavy-duty kitchen shears whose blades are super sharp and made of stainless steel. Plus, they have a comfortable handle for those who are right-handed or left-handed.
You also get a pair of chopping shears that are spring loaded and great for making salads. And you get multi-blade herb shears, which come with a storage sleeve and blade comb, that can also come in handy when preparing healthy meals at home.
- You get a set of four products in this set, including kitchen shears, chopping shears, and herb shears.
- These items are dishwasher safe.
- Some customer reviews state that these scissors become loose too easily.
6. Best Stainless Steel Kitchen Scissors: All-Clad C3220908 Stainless Steel Kitchen Shears
Are you looking for stainless steel kitchen shears? Then check out the attributes of this pair from All-Clad. Great for cutting various foods, as well as flowers, cardboard, paper, etc., you can keep these handy when you need to get things done quickly.
These shears feature heavy gauge brushed stainless steel. They also have a bone notch and edges that are finely honed. Plus, the upper blade is micro-serrated as well to help ensure they will work perfectly every time you use them. Then, when you need to clean these, you can take them apart to wash them thoroughly.
- These kitchen shears are made of durable stainless steel, and you can use them to cut through a variety of foods and materials with ease.
- You can clean these kitchen shears in your dishwasher.
- Some customer reviews say these scissors might come apart easily.
7. Best Multi-Pack of Kitchen Scissors: ZWILLING Now S S 3-pc Shears Set
Another multi-pack option when you are shopping for kitchen shears is this 3-piece set from Zwilling. Each one has a large handle in a different color to make it easy to differentiate between the three when you need them, and the handles can also be used to lift jar lids and open screw caps and bottle caps.
We also like that these shears have blades made of stainless steel to resist corrosion, and the blades are micro-serrated too. Built to be easy to use, these kitchen shears can cut through a wide range of materials without slipping from your grip.
- These kitchen shears feature micro-serrated blades that are corrosion resistant and made of stainless steel.
- These shears have colorful handles so you can tell them apart.
- The handle on each of these shears can be used as a jar lid lifter, bottle cap opener, and screw cap opener.
- Even though you can put these in the dishwasher to clean them, hand washing is recommended to help keep them sharp over time.
8. Best Japanese Kitchen Scissors: CANARY Japanese Kitchen Shears
Last on our list is this pair of Japanese kitchen shears. They are made in Japan and are designed to be heavy-duty so you can use them for a long time to come. Plus, because they are multi-functional, you can use them for a variety of purposes.
How can you use these kitchen shears? Well, the micro-serrated blade will help ensure you can cut foods with ease, but the handle also has a bottle cap opener and lid opener built in. In addition to that, however, you can even use the handle to open a can, or you can use it as a tenderizer, nutcracker, and garlic crusher.
- These are multi-purpose kitchen shears with sharp, stainless steel blades that aren’t prone to rusting.
- The handle can do things like open jars and bottles, crack open nuts, and crush garlic.
- You can separate the blades for ease of cleaning, and this product is dishwasher safe as well.
- These scissors might be too small for some people.
Things to look out for:
Once you begin looking at the various kitchen shears that are available, you’ll want to start analyzing their features so you can compare them more easily. By looking for certain attributes, you can rest assured that you are making the right buying decision that will suit your needs. We recommend keeping an eye out for the following:
First up, let’s talk about the material that the kitchen shears are made of. Like so many other kitchen tools, this is probably the first feature that you will want to look into. The most popular options are made of carbon steel or stainless steel because these are durable materials that can last. You also want the blades to be resistant to rust and corrosion.
In addition to the material that the blades are made of, you’ll also want to look at the size of the kitchen shears. Many are around 8-9” in length, but you might find those that are smaller or larger. No matter what, you don’t want the blades to be too long or too short because you want them to fit well in your hand and be easy and comfortable to use.
Speaking of ease of use, also check out the handle on any kitchen shears that you are thinking about purchasing. An ergonomic handle that is designed to be super comfortable is a great way to go because you don’t want to hurt yourself or risk cutting yourself with a product that is difficult to hold and use. Also, keep in mind that, if you are going to be using the shears when your hands are wet, having a handle that is non-slip can be super helpful.
Yet another thing to consider is that some kitchen shears can be used with both hands, while others might be designed specifically for those who are right-handed or left-handed, so definitely check out this detail before you buy as well. That way, you can be sure you’ll be able to use the shears correctly.
Also, consider how easy a pair of kitchen shears will be to clean and dry completely. Can a product be put in the dishwasher, or would it be best to wash it by hand? Will you be able to clean the shears more easily by taking them apart?
Finally, keep in mind that some kitchen shears come with several extra features, as mentioned above. These might include jar openers, nutcrackers, and bottle openers, to name a few common extras. You might not need or want these, though, so this can also help you narrow down your options to those that are most suited to your expectations.
Photo credit: Iaroshenko Maryna/Shutterstock