Kitchen rugs and mats are becoming increasingly popular for a lot of good reasons. While a rug might be too big for your space, or you might not prefer to cover your floors with a rug, a smaller kitchen mat, which is available in a range of sizes to suit your preferences, might be the ideal alternative.
What’s the point of putting a mat in your kitchen? Well, if it’s made of comfortable and supportive materials, it may help reduce the amount of fatigue or discomfort you experience when standing for long periods of time over the sink or stove.
Plus, if you choose a kitchen mat that’s stylish, it can add to the look of your kitchen while also maybe even adding some warmth to the space. You might opt for one that has a really neat design that brings a smile to your face, or you might choose to go with a neutral design that will blend in just right with the color scheme in your kitchen. It’s totally up to you, and you can have a lot of fun switching between different kitchen mats throughout the year if you want to keep things fresh and interesting each season.
In addition to being stylish and comfortable, a good quality kitchen mat will be easy to clean–you can even find some that you can just toss into your washing machine for a thorough cleaning. And it can also help protect your floors from damage and messes.
Now that you know about the many benefits that you can get from a great kitchen mat, you might be thinking about adding one to your own kitchen. To help you navigate the many products that are out there right now, we have compiled a handy list of options below that we think you should consider, even if you just want to get a better idea of what’s available.
1. Best Cushioned Kitchen Mat: HappyTrends Kitchen Mat Cushioned Anti-Fatigue Kitchen Rug
If you are looking for a kitchen mat that will be soft on your feet while providing extra thick cushioning to help you avoid discomfort and fatigue when standing in your kitchen for prolonged periods of time, check out this option. It is ergonomically designed to be comfortable, and it might even help you maintain a better posture while you are standing at your countertop, stove, or sink.
Although it has thick cushioning, this kitchen mat is also designed in a way that will help ensure you can remain steady on your feet. That’s good news because some mats might be so thick that you end up actually feeling a little unstable as a result.
- This is a soft kitchen mat that is cushioned and ergonomically designed to provide you with support and comfort while standing.
- You can choose from multiple size options and colors.
- This kitchen mat has a beveled edge to help you avoid tripping over it.
- The material that this kitchen mat is made of is durable and waterproof, as well as oil resistant, so it’s easy to clean.
- Some customer reviews were unsatisfied with this mat’s durability.
- The look of this kitchen mat might not be right for you if you want something that’s more stylish.
2. Best Kitchen Mat for Anti Fatigue: ComfiLife Anti Fatigue Floor Mat
Another mat that might be just right for you is this one from ComfiLife. It is also designed to help reduce fatigue and discomfort while you are standing, and it is available in multiple sizes and several color options.
This is an ergonomic mat that is stain resistant, waterproof, and durable. It also features ¾” thick foam that can help keep you comfortable when you need to stand in your kitchen for a long time. Plus, the beveled edge helps prevent curling that would be a tripping hazard, and the non-slip bottom will help ensure this mat remains in place at all times.
- This kitchen mat has high-density foam that is ¾” thick.
- The surface of this kitchen mat is durable, the edges are beveled, and the bottom of it is non-slip.
- The design of this mat is plain, so if you want something more eye-catching, it might not be the right choice for you.
3. Best Twill Kitchen Mat: MontVoo Twill Kitchen Mat
This kitchen mat might be just what you need when you want to make standing at the sink while washing dishes more comfortable on your feet. You can choose the color and size that works best for your kitchen, and once it’s set in place, you might find that it enhances the look of your kitchen.
This rug will absorb any water or oil that is accidentally spilled on it. Its materials are durable, yet the mat is lightweight. Plus, there is a non-slip bottom that helps it stay in place without moving around on your floor. And, when it comes to cleaning, you can use a vacuum to keep this mat looking great, or you can put it in your washing machine when you need a deeper clean.
- This attractive twill kitchen mat is stylish and durable, and it is available in multiple size and color options.
- You can clean this kitchen mat in the washing machine.
- This mat will absorb water that’s spilled on it, thus helping to protect your floors.
- Some customer reviews state this kitchen mat isn’t as slip resistant as it should be.
4. Best Kitchen Mat with a Fun Design: FRESHMINT Farmhouse Kitchen Mats
When you want to add a kitchen mat with a fun design to your space, this one might be a good fit, especially if you love drinking coffee. But if this design isn’t your favorite, rest assured that there are other designs to choose from as well. And the various designs also come in different sizes too, so you can find exactly what you want.
The surface of this kitchen mat is made of PVC leather, so it is smooth and easy to clean, as well as waterproof. The core is 9mm thick foam to provide you with plenty of comfortable cushioning while you are standing on this mat. And the non-slip bottom will help ensure this mat stays in place for your safety.
- This kitchen mat has a cute design, and it is designed to provide extra cushioning and support to help you avoid fatigue while standing.
- To clean this mat, you can simply wipe it with a damp cloth or use a vacuum.
- This mat is stain resistant, as well as waterproof.
- Some customer reviews state that they were dissatisfied with the amount of padding in this mat and its overall thickness.
5. Best Decorative Kitchen Mat: UpNUpCo Artistic Anti Fatigue Kitchen Floor Mat
Another eye-catching kitchen mat to consider is this decorative option that is also designed to help reduce your fatigue when standing. This colorful design with many wine glasses can add a cute and lighthearted element to your space, and you can choose from multiple sizes to suit your needs. Plus, there are also other designs that you can choose from as well if this one doesn’t match your décor.
In addition to providing support while standing, this product is stain resistant and it resists slipping. And it is easy to clean, which is always a desirable feature. Other features include its high-density foam, eco printing, polyfabric mesh, and protective layer.
- This kitchen mat has a colorful, eye-catching design.
- You can use this kitchen mat to help reduce your fatigue when you need to stand for long periods of time while cooking and cleaning.
- This mat is easy to keep clean.
- Some customer reviews state that this kitchen mat does not stand up to wear and tear over time.
6. Best Kitchen Mat Set: Asvin Kitchen Mat Set of 2 Pieces
If one kitchen mat won’t do, you can look for a set, like this one that gives you two pieces for an affordable price. The attractive marble design can look great in a variety of kitchens, but there are other designs that you can choose from if this one doesn’t match your style. And there are also multiple size options as well.
With this set, you get one large kitchen mat and a small one that matches it, so you can set them up however you wish, whether you put them side-by-side or apart from each other. They are stain resistant, which is certainly helpful when it comes to keeping them clean, and they are also waterproof. Plus, they can help you feel better while standing because they have a thick cushion that supports your feet.
- Cleaning these PVC mats is easy because you can wipe them with a damp cloth.
- These kitchen mats are waterproof and stain resistant, as well as non-slip.
- These mats support you while standing because they have thick cushioning.
- Some customer reviews state these mats slip.
- Depending on your expectations, the cushioning might not be enough.
7. Best Waterproof Kitchen Mat: Mattitude Kitchen Mat [2 PCS] Cushioned Anti-Fatigue Kitchen Rug
A waterproof kitchen mat can come in handy, and this one from Mattitude is an option to consider, especially since you get two pieces: a large one and a small one. The simple style can add color and flair to your kitchen, and the colors are designed to last, rather than fade, over time.
These kitchen mats are designed to be durable and non-slip, and they are also soft. When you stand on them, the cushioning might help you feel less discomfort in your feet, back, and joints. And because they are waterproof, they are easy to clean with a damp cloth or vacuum.
- These non-slip kitchen mats are made of PVC that is durable and waterproof.
- These mats provide 0.4” of cushioning for extra support and comfort.
- These mats feature a simple design that can work well with a variety of kitchen design schemes.
- These soft kitchen mats might help prevent breaks if you accidentally drop a glass or dish on them.
- Before buying, consider whether the cushioning will be enough, as some people might find that it is not thick enough.
8. Best Kitchen Mat with Comfortable Foam: GelPro Designer Comfort Ergo-Foam Anti-Fatigue Kitchen Floor Mat
Last on our list is this foam kitchen mat from GelPro. Like so many other kitchen mats on the market, this one is available in many different colors, designs, and sizes so you can select the one that you need for your unique space.
What’s nice about this particular mat is that it has an ergo-foam core that is ¾” thick, so it can provide you with support and soft cushioning under your feet while you are standing for long periods. This extra support might help reduce fatigue and discomfort.
Other attractive features include the fact that this product is stain resistant and easy to clean, it has beveled edges that will not curl so you can reduce the odds of tripping over it, it is phthalate free, and it is waterproof.
- This mat has a polyurethane surface and ¾” foam that can provide you with plenty of comfortable cushioning to reduce fatigue and aches when standing in your kitchen.
- This product is stain resistant, waterproof, and easy to clean.
- The beveled edges will help ensure they won’t end up curling.
- The price of this kitchen mat is a bit higher than others.
- Some people might not find a thick mat comfortable, so keep that in mind as you search for the mat with the ideal thickness.
Things to look out for:
There are a few things to think about as you shop for a kitchen mat. What do you want it to look like? Is it made of durable, high-quality materials that are easy to clean and stain-resistant? How large do you want the mat to be, and do you want it to be cushioned? Let’s dive deeper into all of these features to better understand what to look for when you’re on the hunt for the right kitchen mat.
First off, think about the size of the mat that you need. Do you want something that will be large and cover a lot of space, or would you prefer something smaller yet big enough to provide a comfortable spot to stand on while you are washing dishes or preparing meals? Measure your kitchen so you will have a better idea of what size kitchen mat you really need.
In addition to size, also consider the materials that a kitchen mat is made from. Do you want a mat that is woven or smooth? And are you looking for one that is stain resistant, water resistant, or waterproof? Also, in the event that messes happen, you’ll want the mat to be easy to clean as well, so consider how easy it will be to wipe it clean, vacuum it, or wash it completely in your washing machine.
If you want to reduce the amount of fatigue you feel when standing in your kitchen, look for a mat that is designed for that purpose, but make sure it isn’t too firm or too soft for you. There are a lot of cushioned mats that you can choose from, and they offer varying thicknesses, so you can choose the right amount of support. For example, some are ½” thick, while others are ¾” thick. And some will be made of foam that responds more quickly when you step off the mat, so that’s something else to think about.
If you have flooring in your kitchen that you tend to slip on, a kitchen mat might help you avoid accidents. But you also don’t want the mat itself to slip around on the floor, so be sure to find one that will have a non-slip bottom to help it stay in place.
Finally, for your own safety, look for a mat that has beveled edges and a bit of texture that can help you remain stable while standing on it. Edges that are tapered might help reduce the odds that you’ll trip on the mat by accident, and you also want the edges to remain flat against the floor without curling up.
Photo credit: Blue Lemon Photo/Shutterstock