If you don’t yet own a Dutch oven, it’s definitely worth checking out the products that are available so you can add this tool to your kitchen. Also sometimes referred to as a French oven, this is a pot that comes with a lid that fits on tightly, and it is often made of durable materials like cast iron and stainless steel.
You can use a Dutch oven to cook up a wide range of recipes, and you can use it in your oven or on your stove. If you have a recipe that requires a long cook time on low heat, such as a hearty stew or even some bread, this cookware is a great choice. Basically, because this thick-walled product can retain steam and heat so well, and because it can be used in so many ways, many people use it often and absolutely love it.
The key is to find a Dutch oven that is made of the highest quality materials so it will be durable and last a long time, regardless of how many times you use it. And you might be surprised by how affordable these items can be, so you don’t have to break the bank to get a great new piece of cookware that you can use for everyday meals with family or for large meals when entertaining guests.
Not sure where to begin when it comes to looking for a Dutch oven that you’ll love using? To help you out, we’ve compiled a list of products below. Check them out when you are ready to get a better idea of the many possibilities.
1. Top Pick Dutch Oven: Calphalon 2029654 Premier Hard-Anodized Nonstick 8.5-Quart Dutch Oven with Cover
This Dutch oven from Calphalon is 8.5 quarts, so it gives you plenty of room to cook up a lot of food. But what we really like about it is that it is built to last a long time, with a long lasting nonstick that makes food release and cleanup easier. The interior boasts three nonstick layers and the exterior is made of hard-anodized aluminum. Plus, it is safe to use metal utensils with this product too.
If you want to use your Dutch oven in the oven, this one is oven safe up to 450°F, and it can also be used with various stoves, including electric and gas. Then, when you need to clean this durable product, you can just put it in your dishwasher.
- This Dutch oven is compatible with various types of stoves, and it is oven safe.
- You can use metal utensils with this Dutch oven because it has durable nonstick.
- You can wash this Dutch oven in the dishwasher.
- This Dutch oven comes with a tempered glass lid.
- This is a large and heavy-duty Dutch oven, so it might not be the right choice if you’d prefer something smaller and lightweight.
2. Best Cast Iron Dutch Oven: Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven
When searching for a great cast iron Dutch oven, it is worth looking into the features that come with this one from Lodge. It is available in various sizes and colors, so you can select the one that will suit your needs and preferences best.
This is a round Dutch oven, and although it is made of cast iron, it has a porcelain-enamel finish to give it an attractive look and also make it easier to use and clean. It is oven safe up to 500°F, so you can use it to cook a variety of meals, and the lid is designed to fit on just right so heat and moisture will be kept inside while your ingredients cook evenly.
- This round Dutch oven can be used in an oven up to 500°F.
- This is a cast iron Dutch oven that features a colorful porcelain-enamel finish.
- You can use this Dutch oven on any type of stovetop.
- It is best to only use silicone or wood utensils with this Dutch oven.
- This Dutch oven should only be hand washed.
3. Best Stainless Steel Dutch Oven: Cooks Standard 7-Quart Classic Stainless Steel Dutch Oven Casserole Stockpot with Lid
Would you prefer a Dutch oven that is made of stainless steel? Then check out this product from Cooks Standard. It’s a good size at 7 quarts, so you have plenty of room inside for preparing a large batch of food, it has large side handles, and it has a tempered glass lid with a convenient steam vent that will fit perfectly to ensure the best results possible.
This Dutch oven is made of 18/10 stainless steel, and it has aluminum at the bottom as well. It is the aluminum disc on the bottom of this item that helps distribute heat evenly, thereby helping to prevent hot spots so your ingredients can cook without burning.
- This Dutch oven is made of high-quality materials like stainless steel and aluminum.
- The riveted handles are designed to be durable.
- You can use this Dutch oven on a variety of cooktops, and it is oven safe to 500°F.
- This Dutch oven is dishwasher safe to make cleanup easy.
- The glass lid is oven safe up to 350°F.
- This Dutch oven doesn’t have a nonstick coating.
4. Best Pre-Seasoned Dutch Oven: Bruntmor Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Flanged Lid Iron Cover
We mentioned a lot of the benefits of Dutch ovens above, including the fact that you can use this versatile tool in the oven and on the stove. But did you know that you could also find Dutch ovens, such as this one, that you can use over a campfire or a fireplace?
This is a round, 100% cast iron Dutch oven that can hold 6 quarts, it is resistant to damage like warping and chips, and it helps ensure your ingredients will be cooked evenly, thanks to its ability to retain heat really well. You can use this Dutch oven on a variety of stovetops, as well as in your oven.
This product also has a metal handle that makes it easy to lift, carry, and hang this product, and it is pre-seasoned so you don’t have to worry about doing it yourself. Plus, it comes with a lid that will fit tightly to properly lock in moisture, and you can use the lid as a griddle or skillet on its own too.
- This 100% cast iron Dutch oven is pre-seasoned for your convenience.
- You can use this Dutch oven over an open fire to cook up tasty meals.
- This Dutch oven is resistant to warping and chipping.
- This Dutch oven is designed to be easy to clean.
- Hand washing this Dutch oven is best.
5. Best Ceramic Dutch Oven: Blue Diamond Cookware Toxin-Free Ceramic Nonstick Big Batch Dutch Oven
If you would prefer a ceramic Dutch oven, there are several options on the market, like this one from Blue Diamond, which boasts aluminum and ceramic nonstick. It is a fabulous choice if you want a Dutch oven that will be lighter, as this one is designed to be 50% lighter than a cast iron alternative. Plus, you’re sure to love the fact that it is durable and scratch resistant, and you can also use metal utensils with it.
This product also features a diamond infused ceramic coating that is durable and long lasting. It is oven safe, it comes with a glass lid, and it is easy to clean. Plus, the lid is rounded so it provides more room and improved airflow than many of the other lids that come with Dutch ovens these days.
- This is a lightweight ceramic Dutch oven that can be used with metal utensils because it’s scratch resistant.
- This Dutch oven is dishwasher safe, and it is also broiler and oven safe up to 600°F.
- This product is lead free, cadmium free, PFOA free, and PFAS free.
- This Dutch oven is not compatible with induction cooktops.
- The glass lid that comes with this Dutch oven is oven safe only to 350°F.
6. Best Nonstick Dutch Oven: Vesuvio 5 Quart Nonstick Dutch Oven
This Dutch oven from DaTerra Cucina might be just what you need if you are looking for a high-quality nonstick product. It features a ceramic coating that is designed to be non-toxic, as it does not contain any cadmium, lead, PFOA, or PTFE. Plus, the coating is resistant to scratches and will help your food release with ease so you can use less oil when you cook.
In addition to the hard and durable nonstick coating, which is made from volcanic minerals, other attractive details include the thick aluminum base, the fact that you can put this in your oven up to 450°F, the oven-safe lid, the handle that stays cool to the touch, and the fact that it is dishwasher safe for easy cleanup. So many great features!
- This nonstick Dutch oven is lead free, cadmium free, PTFE free, and PFOA free.
- This lightweight product features 100% recyclable aluminum.
- This Dutch oven is dishwasher safe and oven safe up to 450°F.
- This Dutch oven can’t be used on induction cooktops.
7. Best Small Dutch Oven: SULIVES Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven Bread Baking Pot with Lid
Sometimes, you don’t want or need a large, or even a medium sized, Dutch oven. Thankfully, there are many small Dutch ovens that you can turn to. Take, for instance, this small 1.5-quart Dutch oven that is available in pretty colors and is made of tough cast iron.
This is a durable product that is also nonstick for added convenience and ease of use. The interior surface is scratch resistant and chip resistant. And the sunken, self-basting lid is designed to help circulate moisture while your ingredients cook so you can get delicious results.
We also like that you can use this little Dutch oven on all cooktops, and you can even use it over an open fire. Plus, the cast iron handle is wide and ergonomically designed for comfort, which is always convenient.
- This round Dutch oven features enameled cast iron.
- You can use this Dutch oven over an open fire, in your oven, and on all types of cooktops.
- The interior of this Dutch oven features microporous enamel that is nonstick.
- Although this product is dishwasher safe, hand washing is recommended to help ensure its durability.
8. Best Large Dutch Oven: Tramontina Covered Dutch Oven Pro-Line Stainless Steel
As mentioned above, you can find Dutch ovens in a variety of sizes, which means you can also go for a larger one that will allow you to easily cook up big batches of food for your whole family. Plus, a large Dutch oven like this one from Tramontina, which can hold 9 quarts, can also come in really handy when you are planning a party and you want to be sure there will be plenty of food to go around.
This Dutch oven has a fine satin stainless steel finish on the exterior, along with mirror polished accents. It also boasts tri-ply base construction consisting of 18/10 stainless steel, magnetic stainless steel, and an aluminum core. Therefore, it can be used on all types of cooktops, including induction, and it is oven safe up to 500°F. Plus, it is designed to evenly distribute heat, and it comes with a stainless steel lid. And the riveted handles also make it easy to lift and carry this large product with ease.
- This stainless steel Dutch oven can be used on all cooktops, it is oven safe, and it is dishwasher safe.
- This product features stainless steel handles and comes with a stainless steel lid.
- This Dutch oven boasts tri-ply base construction.
- This Dutch oven is large, so it might not be suitable if you’re looking for something smaller and easier to store.
- If you are looking for a Dutch oven with a nonstick coating or cast iron construction, this wouldn’t be right for you.
Things to look out for:
Although all good Dutch ovens will have the same basic features, some might not be as worthy of your consideration as others. Plus, there are several things to keep in mind while you shop for a Dutch oven to help ensure you will make the right choice. So, keep the following in mind as you browse the options that are available:
First, consider the size and weight of a Dutch oven. Many times, you will come across Dutch ovens that are anywhere from 4 to 7 quarts in size, but if you want to go with something larger or smaller, those options are also available. Just think about what you plan on preparing in your Dutch oven, and how many people you will need to serve when your recipe is done cooking. You might want to go with a medium sized product that gives you plenty of room without overdoing it. And also keep in mind that these products tend to be quite heavy, so the bigger the Dutch oven, the heavier it will be.
As you shop, you will also notice that some Dutch ovens are oval, while others are round. Once again, it’s worth thinking about what you will be preparing in your Dutch oven. For example if you are going to be using this product on your stove a lot, a round one would likely be the better way to go.
Dutch ovens should have thick handles that make it easy to lift and move this product whenever you use it to cook up delicious meals. And the lid, too, should be thick and it should fit tightly so you can get the best results when using the Dutch oven.
Finally, when it comes to the material that a Dutch oven is made of, cast iron is super popular because it is able to retain heat and distribute it really well. If you want your Dutch oven to be easier to clean, though, you might want to stick with models that feature enameled cast iron. Also, if you would prefer something that’s lighter in weight, ceramic might be a good choice, or you might opt for stainless steel instead.
Photo credit: anshu18/Shutterstock