You might not think much about the cheese grater you use, but if you’ve been using one that isn’t quite sturdy, that catches the cheese shreds so they end up getting stuck, or that has a dull blade that makes it difficult to grate your favorite cheeses, it’s time for an upgrade.
Whether you need to shred some mozzarella for homemade pizza, you need to grate some Parmesan to put on top of your pasta, or anything in between, the right cheese grater will make it effortless. And, of course, you can also use a handy cheese grater with other ingredients, such as a carrot that needs to be cut into shreds or a lemon that needs to be zested.
There are a variety of cheese graters that you can choose from, such as box cheese graters, rotary cheese graters, electric cheese graters, and handheld or flat cheese graters. You might find your favorite and stick with that type or you might decide that you want to have more than one type of grater on hand so you can have what you need at all times.
If you are feeling a little overwhelmed by all of the options on the market, don’t worry, as we’ve got you covered with a helpful list of products that we recommend checking out when you are ready to shop for a good quality cheese grater. And, below, we also cover some of the main features you should look into when shopping for a grater.
1. Best Box Grater: Zulay 4-Sided Cheese Grater
If you are looking for a large and ergonomically designed box grater, this one from Zulay can be a good place to start. It has four grating sides (slicer, fine grater, coarse grater, and medium grater), so each side has a different type of blade. And the stainless steel blades with etched teeth are nice and sharp to make it easy to grate a variety of ingredients. Plus, it also has a soft rubber handle that helps ensure you will have a stable, firm, and comfortable grip while you are using this grater, and this can help keep you safe from scratches and cuts.
In addition to the rubber handle that is tough and can withstand the pressure you put on it while grating various ingredients, this box grater also has an anti-skid base that will help keep it in place to avoid accidents and messes, while also protecting your countertop.
We also like that this cheese grater is designed to be easy to clean. You can remove the rubber base to wash it by hand. The box grater itself, on the other hand, can be placed in your dishwasher to keep things simple. And the stainless steel will also resist corrosion and rust, which is definitely a plus.
- This box grater has four sides and four different blades.
- This product is made of durable stainless steel, with sharp blades and a rubber handle for ease of use.
- This cheese grater is resistant to corrosion and rust, and you can wash it by hand and in the dishwasher.
- This might not be the right cheese grater if you would prefer something more compact.
- Some people might find that washing and drying this box grater isn’t as easy as they’d like it to be.
2. Best Box Grater with Detachable Container: OXO Good Grips Box Grater
Have you ever wished that there were an easier way to collect the shredded pieces of your cheese, veggies, etc. when using a box grater? Well, in that case, it is worth looking into the box graters that come with handy containers, like this one from OXO Good Grips, which boasts a detachable container and a four-sided box grater that provides versatility.
Attractive features include the stainless steel blades that are sharp and make it easy to get through a range of ingredients. You can use the slicing blade, the fine grater, the coarse grater, or the medium grater, depending on your needs. And the best part is the container will fit it perfectly to catch and measure your ingredients as you work.
We also like the handle on this box grater because it is soft and comfortable, so you can rest assured that there will be less risk of the grater accidentally slipping out of your hand during use.
- This box grater has four different blades, one on each side.
- You can attach and detach the container easily to catch and measure your ingredients while you prepare your meals.
- The container that comes with this box grater can also be used to store ingredients.
- The blades are made of stainless steel, and the handle is designed to be comfortable.
- This box grater might be too large if you are looking for a more compact product, as it measures 12” x 4.5” x 2.75”.
3. Best Handheld Cheese Grater: K BASIX Cheese Grater Handheld Shredder
Would you prefer using a sturdy handheld cheese grater? Well, you have plenty of options to choose from, like this one from K BASIX. It is packed with great features, such as a hard frame that is made of steel and is designed to maintain its shape, sharp stainless steel blades that will resist rusting, and a soft handle that can provide a comfortable, non-slip grip.
This cheese grater is dishwasher safe, which means it is just as easy to clean as it is to use. Whether you hold it over a bowl or rest it on your countertop while you grate cheese and other ingredients, you should find that the blades are sharp and durable enough to get the job done quickly and easily.
- The blade of this ergonomically designed cheese grater is made of durable commercial stainless steel that will not rust.
- The sharp blade ensures ease of use when grating a variety of foods.
- The handle is comfortable to hold.
- You can pop this in the dishwasher to clean it.
- This cheese grater only has one type of blade.
- Some people might find that this cheese grater is too small.
4. Best Cheese Grater with Container and Lid: Cheese Grater with Container and Lid & Peeler Set
When you want to go with a cheese grater that has both a container and a lid for that container, you can check out this option, which provides a neat little set of products that can come in handy when preparing a lot of different recipes at home.
With this affordably priced set, you get a large container that can hold all of your grated ingredients, along with a lid that fits it just right to store those ingredients and keep them fresh until you need them. You also get two graters (one with smaller holes and one for larger shreds) that fit the lid, making it a snap to grate foods without making a mess because the shreds will land in the container.
In addition to all of that, you also get a double head peeler that includes a swivel peeler and a serrated peeler, so you can use that in combination with your graters to make yummy meals for your whole family.
Overall, this product is designed to be easy and comfortable to use, and it is also simple to clean. Plus, you can also rest assured that the container is designed to stay in place, rather than slide around during use.
- This set comes with a container, lid, peeler with two different blades, and two different graters.
- You can use this product to quickly and easily grate a variety of ingredients and store them properly to keep them fresh.
- Depending on your preferences, you might find it more challenging to grate ingredients with this grater because it sits on the container like a lid, unlike box graters that stand upright.
5. Best 6-Sided Cheese Grater: ZOEDO Cheese Grater & Shredder for Kitchen Stainless Steel 6-Sides
When four different blades aren’t enough to suit your needs, there are even bigger cheese graters that feature more sides, like this one that has six sides with six different blades.
This grater is made of durable stainless steel that will resist corrosion and rust, and the blades are sharp enough to make the task of grating various ingredients quick and simple. Also, the handle of this cheese grater is also made of stainless steel, and it is designed to be easy to grip and hold so it will not slip out of your hand while you are using it.
- This cheese grater has six sides for even more sharp blades of varying types that can come in handy when prepping homemade meals.
- This product is made of durable stainless steel that is rust-proof so it can last a long time.
- It’s best to wash this item by hand, even though it can go in your dishwasher.
- The design of this cheese grater might be too bulky for some people, especially if you don’t have room to store it.
6. Best Electric Cheese Grater: Homdox Electric Cheese Grater
When you want to keep things really simple, you can go with an electric cheese grater like this option from Homdox. It has a 150W motor that will quickly shred, chop, slice, and grate a wide range of ingredients. And the five cones give you the following options: fine grating, coarse grating, grinding, thin slicing, and thick slicing.
To use this product, just select the cone with the blades that you need, attach it to the base, and then turn it on by pushing the power button. Then, all you have to do is drop in the ingredient you need to chop, grate, slice, or shred. Placing a bowl in the right spot will ensure all of the ingredients fall right into it, so there won’t be any messes to clean up.
This product has a lightweight and compact design, making it easier to store away when not in use.
- The powerful motor of this electric cheese grater will not only grate, but also slice, chop, and shred ingredients.
- This product comes with five interchangeable cones that are made of stainless steel.
- One-touch control makes this grater really easy to use.
- This electric grater eliminates the need to grate by hand.
- This product might not be right for you if you don’t want to worry about needing to plug something in to grate your ingredients.
7. Best Rotary Cheese Grater: Zyliss Classic Rotary Cheese Grater-NSF Restaurant Certified
Another option to consider is a rotary cheese grater, which can be a good way to keep your hands away from the blades, just like you would with an electric cheese grater. This one from Zyliss is certified for restaurant use and designed to be easy to use.
This product may help you grate more cheese in a shorter amount of time than you would with other types of cheese graters. And you can even switch the handle from one side to the other, depending on if you’re left-handed or right-handed. Then, to clean this cheese grater, you can separate the pieces and clean them individually to ensure you get every piece of food out.
- This rotary cheese grater is designed to be easy to use, and it is built to help you grate a lot of cheese quickly.
- You can set the handle on either side so it works for you.
- This cheese grater only comes with a fine drum, so you don’t have a lot of options like you would with a multi-sided box grater.
8. Best Cheese Grater with Removable Panel: Microplane 34006 4-Sided Stainless Steel Ultra-Sharp Multi-Purpose Box Grater
This cheese grater from Microplane is a bit different. It looks like a box grater, but the panel that has the fine blade is removable, giving you greater versatility to use it as a handheld grater if you need to.
This product has four different stainless steel blades that are made in the United States, and they are ultra coarse, fine, bi-directional ribbon, and slicing. That means you can use this one grater with a variety of ingredients, not just cheese. Then, when you need to store it, you can use the reusable cover that’s included to protect it.
- This cheese grater has three different grating blades, along with a slicing blade.
- The blades are ultra-short, made in the USA, and photo-etched.
- One panel is removable for versatility and ease of cleaning.
- You can wash this product in the dishwasher.
- Some customer reviews state they weren’t happy with this product’s durability.
Things to look out for:
As you shop for a cheese grater to add to your collection of kitchen tools, keep the following in mind. Doing so can help ensure you make the choice that’s right for you.
First off, consider the style that you prefer. While a handheld cheese grater can save space and be easy to clean, it might be a little harder to use, it doesn’t let you shred a lot quickly, and it may not give you the variety of blades that other types of graters, like box graters, would. On the other hand, a box grater has multiple sides, with a different type of blade on each side, so you might not need to buy several different types of cheese graters because one box grater can provide you with greater versatility. Electric cheese graters basically do all of the work for you, but you’ll need to plug them in, of course, and they might be bulky. And a rotary grater might be a good choice if you want an easy way to grate hard cheeses, or if you want to grate ingredients in a way that keeps your hands farther away from the blade.
When it comes to the blades on cheese graters, you will likely come across products with etched blades and those with stamped blades. Etched blades tend to be sharper, so you need to be extra careful to avoid cutting yourself.
Other details to look for include the types of shredding blades on a cheese grater (e.g. large shreds, fine shreds, zests, etc.), the ease and comfort of use, and the stability of the product. Also, see if the grater will be easy to clean and store away when you are done using it.
Photo credit: Africa Studio/Shutterstock