A good cereal could satisfy your cravings, whether you have it to start your day, as a snack between meals, or as a late-night treat. But have you considered the type of bowl you use to eat your cereal? It turns out that the right bowl, with the right width and depth, can help you more easily scoop up every last bite, so it is worth looking into the many options that are on the market.
With a good quality cereal bowl, you can indulge in a variety of cereals, but you can also use it for various other purposes, such as salads, fruits, soups, ice cream, and more. It will also make it easy to get the right serving size that will make you feel full without leaving you wanting more. Plus, if you want portion control to avoid eating too much cereal, a cereal bowl that is the appropriate size can help with that as well.
What Makes a Cereal Bowl Special?
You can find a variety of cereal bowls on the market these days, including those that are available in sets so you can have a bowl for every member of your family. There are those that are plain and white in appearance, and those that are really colorful or have fun, eye-catching designs on them.
No matter which one you choose, it is a good idea to focus on the overall shape and size of the bowl. For example, one that isn’t deep enough is going to make it harder to get enough milk and cereal into it. And the right bowl can also help prevent messes too. Plus, if you want to add toppings to your cereal, a bowl that is deep enough will make it possible to do that without needing to worry about having enough room for everything.
Also, cereal bowls are made of various materials, such as ceramic, porcelain, plastic, and eco-friendly materials. You can decide whether you want to stick with one material or you would prefer having a variety of bowls on hand at all times. For instance, if you plan on having your cereal outside in your backyard and you are afraid of dropping it and breaking it, a plastic bowl might work perfectly. Or, if you have children, you might want to look for cereal bowls that are designed with kids in mind.
You can even find cereal bowls that are microwave safe and dishwasher safe. This means you can use them when you want to heat up some milk or when you want to have something warm like soup or oatmeal. A dishwasher safe product also means you can save time and effort because you won’t need to wash the bowl by hand, and this can be really helpful if you don’t want to risk breaking a delicate stoneware bowl while washing it with soapy hands that are slippery.
If You Aren’t Sure Where to Begin, You’re in the Right Place
We know how hard it can be to find the right cereal bowls for yourself and your family. After all, a simple search on the internet will show you that there are a host of products available. But how can you tell which ones are worth your money? Well, to help you get started, we have compiled a handy list of products below, along with a list of helpful tips at the end of this article. Hopefully, this information will help clarify what you should look for in a cereal bowl, and you might even find the ideal bowl(s) in the list of items we’re showcasing below.
1. Editor’s Choice: AmorArc Stoneware Cereal Bowls Set
These pretty cereal bowls come in a set of four, and they are available in multiple colors so you can choose your favorite. They measure about 3 inches deep, and they are freezer safe, microwave safe, and dishwasher safe. Overall, this is an affordable and attractive set of cereal bowls that you can use to hold various foods, so it could be a good place to start your search for the right bowls.
- These ceramic cereal bowls are lead free and cadmium free.
- You can use these bowls for more than just cereal, as they measure about 5.5 inches wide by 3 inches deep.
- You can wash these bowls in the dishwasher, and they are stackable for easy storage.
- These bowls might chip easily, so care needs to be taken to avoid damaging them.
2. Runner Up: Lareina Ceramic Cereal Bowls
If you are tired of boring looking cereal bowls, these should be on your radar. Each bowl in this set of six features a unique and colorful design. They measure about 6 inches wide by 2.7 inches deep, so they are a good size for cereal, and they are also oven safe, microwave safe, freezer safe, and dishwasher safe. Plus, they are made of porcelain and they are lightweight.
- These colorful bowls feature eye-catching designs, and you get six bowls in this set.
- These bowls stack easily so you can store them away while saving space.
- These cereal bowls are lead free.
- It can be hard to match these to your dinnerware if you plan on using them with other dishes.
3. Best Square: DOWAN Square Cereal Bowls Set of 6
When you are in search of something different, you can consider cereal bowls that aren’t round, like these attractive square bowls. They are white in color, so they can complement other dinnerware easily, and they have a 27-ounce capacity, measuring about 6 inches wide by 3 inches deep. And you don’t have to worry about needing a lot of room to store them away because they will neatly stack into each other.
- These square cereal bowls can add an interesting touch to your collection of bowls.
- These bowls are lead free.
- These bowls are microwave safe, freezer safe, oven safe, and dishwasher safe.
- Because these bowls are made of porcelain, care needs to be taken when using them and cleaning them to avoid damaging them.
4. Best Porcelain: Sweese 102.001 Porcelain Bowls
These bowls are shaped a bit differently, and they can be used for various purposes beyond eating cereal for breakfast. They measure about 6.2 inches wide, but the sides slope, so they are about 2.6 inches deep on one side and 2.2 inches deep on the other. You might find these easier to use, thanks to this unique design. Plus, you can stack them to save space when storing them in your cabinet, and they are chip-resistant.
- These bowls come in a set of six.
- These lead free bowls are made of porcelain and feature a unique shape.
- These bowls are microwave safe, freezer safe, oven safe, and dishwasher safe.
- The style of these bowls might not suit all design preferences.
- As with other porcelain bowls, care should be taken to avoid damaging these during use and washing.
5. Best Plastic: Klickpick Home 6 Inch Plastic Bowls Set of 8
If you need several plastic cereal bowls, this set will give you eight colorful bowls that neatly stack within each other for ease of storage. Each bowl measures about 6.25 inches wide by 3 inches deep to give you plenty of room for your favorite cereal. And these are made of break-resistant plastic to help ensure they will stay in great shape even if you accidently drop them. Plus, they are BPA free.
- These plastic cereal bowls come in various colors, and you get a total of eight bowls.
- These are lightweight bowls that are also designed to be durable.
- The maximum capacity of each bowl is 28 ounces.
- It’s best to wash these bowls by hand.
6. Best Colorful Set: Bico Tunisian 26oz Ceramic Cereal Bowls Set of 4
These colorful cereal bowls are another great option when you want something with an attractive design. You get four in the set, with each one featuring a different color. And each measures about 6 inches wide by 3 inches deep to give you enough room for your milk and cereal. Made of ceramic, these bowls are also lead free and cadmium free. Overall, if you are looking for something a little different that doesn’t look like your average cereal bowl, definitely check these out.
- These bowls have a 26-ounce capacity.
- These cereal bowls are microwave safe and dishwasher safe.
- These bowls are stackable for storage.
- Because they are made of ceramic, these bowls might become damaged, so handling them carefully is necessary.
7. Best for Kids: CIBI Cereal Bowls with Straws for Kids
Do your kids love to eat their cereal and then drink the milk that is left in the bowl? Well, these cute cereal bowls are designed with kids in mind, as they have a built-in straw that can be used to drink the milk. They come in a set of four, and each one is a different color. Also, each bowl has a 22-ounce capacity. If you want to reduce messes when your kids enjoy some cereal, these might be a great solution.
- These plastic bowls are made for kids, and they are BPA free.
- These bowls are dishwasher safe and microwave safe.
- It might be hard to clean the straw that’s attached to these bowls.
8. Best with Accessories: SGAOFIEE Unbreakable Cereal Bowls
If you want a set of cereal bowls that also comes with some handy accessories, and you want to go with a product that is more eco-friendly than others on the market, this one might be the perfect choice. You get a set of six bowls that are made of wheat straw fiber. Each bowl has a 30-ounce capacity, and each one is a different color too. You also get six spoons and six forks that match the bowls beautifully. And you can stack these as well to save space in your cabinet.
- These cereal bowls are deep, lightweight, and durable.
- You get matching spoons and forks with this cereal bowl set.
- These bowls are BPA free.
- Care should be taken to use these bowls correctly so they don’t become damaged. It’s best to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and tips closely.
Things to look out for:
At first, you might not think that there’s much to shopping for a cereal bowl, but the truth is there are a few things to consider and features to look for. That way, you can more easily weigh your options and compare products to one another with your needs and preferences in mind. For instance, while you are shopping, if you think about the following features, you might be able to quickly find exactly what you are looking for at the right price to suit your budget:
First, consider the material that you want your cereal bowl to be made of, and whether you want to be able to use the bowl in the microwave and in the dishwasher. This can allow you to quickly narrow your options.
As mentioned above, and as you saw in the list above as well, cereal bowls can be made of multiple materials. Examples include plastic, ceramic, and other materials like glass. There are pros and cons associated with all of these, but it is up to you to decide which features matter most to you. For instance, if you want a bowl that is less likely to break if you accidentally drop it or if your kids drop it, you may want to go with a bowl that is made of high-quality, durable, BPA free plastic. On the other hand, if you want a bowl that has a beautiful design and a smooth finish, a ceramic bowl might be perfect. And if you want a clear bowl, a glass one would likely be just right.
Another feature to check before you decide to buy a cereal bowl is the amount of ounces that it can hold. Remember, when you are enjoying cereal, you will need to have a bowl that is large enough to accommodate your milk, cereal, and any toppings you prefer, such as sliced bananas or strawberries. If you are replacing an old cereal bowl that worked perfectly, you may already know the number of ounces it needs to hold to suit your needs. Remember, the bowl should be deep, but it shouldn’t be too big that it becomes easy to waste food by overpouring cereal and milk beyond what you need to fill yourself up. And you also don’t want the bowl to be so small that you will need to refill it multiple times to get more milk and cereal in it to satisfy your appetite.
Yet another thing to consider is the overall design of the cereal bowls you want. Do you prefer regular round bowls or do you want to go with a different shape, such as square? As you can see above, square bowls can be stylish and also hold plenty of food. Beyond that, there are cereal bowls that are pure white and, therefore, neutral in appearance, as well as those that have bright colors and drawings. Want cute birds on your cereal bowl? How about flowers? Or, do you want a funny saying on your bowl to make you smile? There really is something for everyone and every style preference.
When thinking about the various sizes and shapes of cereal bowls and trying to figure out which ones are best, think about where you will be using your bowl the most. For example, do you plan on sitting at the table to have your cereal in the morning, do you plan on using it while sitting outside on your patio or deck, or do you want to have a bowl that you will be able to hold comfortably when watching TV and having a snack at night? These considerations can help you figure out which types of bowls are really right for you. Remember, certain materials ensure that bowls are built to last long and are resistant to breaking, but you may also want to find those that will fit in your hand well.
Finally, if you don’t have a lot of room in your kitchen cabinets, consider getting a set of cereal bowls that will neatly stack inside each other. This can help you save space and keep things organized, especially since you won’t need to struggle with figuring out how to store bowls of varying sizes and shapes.
Photo credit: Anna_Pustynnikova/Shutterstock