Let’s be honest, one of the most annoying things about preparing homemade meals is the preparation of the ingredients. Peeling, slicing, dicing, etc. can all take quite a bit of time, especially if you tend to struggle with these tasks or you are worried about cutting yourself with your knife. It all might be enough to make you not want to make your family’s meals yourself, and that’s a bummer because homemade meals can be healthier and tastier when done right.
Thankfully, there are a lot of products on the market that can make your time in the kitchen more enjoyable. And many of the kitchen tools that are found in stores are surprisingly affordable, durable, and simple to use. Take the box grater as just one example. This basic product can help you save time, reduce your effort, and even keep your fingers safe from sharp knife blades when you are preparing a variety of ingredients, from veggies to cheeses.
Why Should You Get a Box Grater?
There are several different types of graters available, and each type boasts unique features that can make food prep easier and quicker. But the nice thing about the box grater, in particular, is that it’s like having four different products in one. Some of these graters even have more than four sides, thereby giving you more graters in a single item—and more versatility as a result. Generally, you will find a zester on one side and a slicer on the other, along with two graters that give you the option of getting a coarse grate or a medium grate.
It’s simple: if you don’t yet have a box grater, it is time to consider getting one. Even if you have other graters on hand, you might find that you end up using your box grater more often because of its features, like the fact that you can maintain good control when using it because of its design. Just make sure it is stable, hold the handle on the top firmly, and run your cheese or veggie up and down the side to grate it to your preferences.
Another nice thing about the box grater is the fact that you don’t need to plug anything in. Also, even though they might be a bit of a challenge when it comes to washing them by hand, you can find products that are dishwasher safe for extra convenience.
How to Choose from All of the Box Graters Out There
Once you start looking into the many different box graters available, you will quickly realize that there are a lot of brands offering this handy kitchen tool. Like anything else, though, they aren’t all created equal, so shopping with care is highly recommended.
Put simply, you want your box grater to be made of high-quality materials that will last a long time, won’t rust, and won’t bend under pressure. You also want to go with one that is designed to be easy to clean. And the blades on every side should be sharp so you don’t have to use a lot of force to grate, slice, or zest your ingredients.
We know that finding the right box grater at the right price can be a time-consuming task, so we’ve compiled a helpful list of products we recommend checking out. Below are short descriptions of the products and their features, so go ahead and use this list to get an idea of what’s out there. Who knows, you might find the perfect box grater right away.
1. Editor’s Choice: KitchenAid Gourmet 4-Sided Stainless Steel Box Grater with Detachable Storage Container
What’s nice about this box grater from KitchenAid is that it comes with a handy container that has measurements printed on the side and can hold 2 cups. You can attach the container to the box grater, which will make it easy to collect your ingredients and measure them at the same time as you grate them. Plus, you can also grate ingredients ahead of time and then store them in the container until you are ready to use them. The box grater itself features four blades that are made of stainless steel. The handle is designed to be comfortable to hold, there is a non-skid base, and this product is dishwasher safe.
- This box grater’s blades include a coarse grate, medium grate, and fine grate, along with a slicer.
- You can clean this box grater in the dishwasher.
- The storage container can hold two cups, comes with a lid, and is freezer safe and microwave safe.
- Some customer reviews state that this box grater is too big, so consider its size before deciding to purchase.
2. Runner Up: Spring Chef Box Grater
This is a large box grater that is made of stainless steel. It has four blades so you can use it for course, medium, and fine grating, as well as slicing. It also has a non-slip rubber bottom to help it remain in place during use. And if you have had difficulty using other box graters because of their uncomfortable handle, you might find that this one is better for you, as it has a wide handle that’s designed to be easy to grip. Plus, this box grater is dishwasher safe for super simple cleanup.
- This stainless steel box grater is resistant to rust and has a convex design.
- This product has sharp blades, and it’s four graters in one: you can grate, zest, and slice a variety of ingredients with ease.
- The handle is large, curved, and provides room for your knuckles to help prevent accidental cuts.
- If you prefer a box grater with straight sides, this one wouldn’t be the right choice.
3. Best with Accessories: Rachael Ray Tools and Gadgets Stainless Steel Box Grater
This box grater from Rachael Ray has an interesting and unique design. First off, it comes with a container that can hold 4 cups, and you can slide it into the grater so it will catch all of your ingredients and prevent messes. In addition, it comes with a finger guard that you can use to protect your hand from the sharp blades while you grate. And the four blades allow you to slice and julienne, as well as get a coarse grate or medium grate. Plus, you can pop it in the dishwasher when you need to clean it.
- This box grater features four sharp blades made of stainless steel.
- This product comes with a finger guard and a 4-cup container for catching and holding ingredients.
- The contoured handle is designed to be comfortable to hold, and this box grater is also designed to stay in place.
- This is pricier than other box graters on the market.
4. Best 6-Sided: Cuisipro 6-Sided Box Grater with Bonus Ginger Grater
When you want more than just four blades on your box grater, it is worth checking out this 6-sided option from Cuisipro. It has a base that can help it remain in place while you grate a variety of ingredients, and the handle is designed to be comfortable and easy to grip. Also, the sharp blades are made of stainless steel for durability and for quick and simple grating.
- This box grater features six sides, so it can be more versatile than a standard box grater with four sides.
- This product has an ergonomic, non-slip handle and non-slip base.
- Some customer reviews state that you need to be careful because the blades on this box grater are extra sharp.
- This box grater might be too large and bulky, especially if you don’t have a lot of storage space in your kitchen.
5. Best Budget-Friendly: Cuisinart Boxed Grater
This affordably priced box grater from Cuisinart is yet another option that is worth considering. It has the basic design that you would need and expect from a box grater, with four sides and four blades that make it simple to grate, shred, and slice various ingredients quickly. Like other box graters on this list, it is made of stainless steel, and it also has a handle that has a soft grip for your comfort. Plus, it is dishwasher safe.
- This box grater has four blades for coarse shredding, fine shredding, fine grating, and slicing.
- The blades are made of stainless steel, and the handle is designed to be comfortable and easy to hold.
- This product features a non-slip base to help it remain stable during use.
- According to some customer reviews, the base of this box grater might rust, so care should be taken to ensure it is properly washed and thoroughly dried.
6. Best with Unique Design Features: Joined Box Cheese Grater with Container, Measurements, and Removable Blades
What’s great about this option is the fact that you get some neat little extras with your box grater. You get three blades for coarse, medium, and fine grating, and you can even remove the grating surfaces for extra versatility. The handy clear storage container has measurements on it so you can get just the right amount of ingredients for your meal—and as you grate your food, it will remain in the container, so you won’t need to worry about making a mess. Also, this product has a thick handle that’s designed to be easy to hold during use, and the removable non-slip base can help ensure the grater stays in place without slipping. Plus, you get a multifunctional peeler with blades that julienne and peel.
- This box grater has removable blades, and you get three types of blades.
- You get a multifunctional peeler and cleaning brush with this box grater.
- Unlike other box graters with four sides, this one has two.
7. Best with Zester: OXO Good Grips Etched Box Grater with Removable Zester
This is another box grater that comes with a small container and lid for catching your shreds and storing them. And when you are done using it, the container will even store inside the box grater to make it compact and easy to store. You get four grating surfaces, and what’s really neat is the fact that you can remove the zester that is found on one side of the box grater so you can use it handheld if you need to.
- This box grater has four options: coarse grater, medium grater, slicer, and zester. The zester is removable.
- This grater has a non-slip handle and non-slip foot for stability.
- This product comes with a container with measurements printed on the side.
- This is priced higher than other options.
8. Best with Ergonomic Handle: Gorilla Grip Box Grater
Finally, there’s this box grater from Gorilla Grip. You can use it to grate, slice, zest, and shred a variety of foods, and the ergonomic handle should help make it easier to maintain your grip and control while you work. Made of stainless steel, it has a slip-resistant bottom that can help it stay in place while you grate ingredients. Plus, to make cleanup a snap, it is dishwasher safe.
- This box grater features a large, ergonomic, soft touch handle.
- You can wash this product in the dishwasher.
- This grater comes with a clear container that you can use for measuring and storing food you zest, shred, grate, and slice.
- This box grater might be too small for some users.
Things to look out for:
When you are shopping for the right box grater that will make food prep a lot easier, consider looking into the following features. By doing so, you may be able to narrow your options down much more quickly:
First, think about the type of box grater that you would prefer. Do you want your typical four-sided box grater or do you think that one with even more sides would be a lot more useful? Think about what you will typically be using the box grater for, as this can help you determine if you need the standard design or something with extras.
Another thing to consider is the material that a box grater is made of. A popular choice is stainless steel because it is so durable and resistant to rusting. This is important because a box grater can be difficult to dry completely after washing it, so you don’t want it to develop rust if you aren’t able to get it totally dry. Plus, you want the material to be tough enough that it won’t end up becoming damaged easily after just a few uses. You may be applying some pressure when using a box grater, and the last thing you’d want is for it to bend or become misshapen from use.
Remember, a box grater is covered in sharp blades on all sides, so you can get hurt if you aren’t careful while using and cleaning it. Narrow your options to those that are built to be stable and non-slip, as this can help reduce the odds that the grater will slip out from under your hand during use.
Also, when it comes to washing a box grater, if you would prefer one that you could just pop in your dishwasher, check a product’s description carefully to see if that’s possible, as they aren’t all dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
The handle on a box grater is yet another feature to look at before deciding if it is right for you. If you have trouble gripping kitchen utensils, an ergonomic handle may be best, as it might have the right shape that will make it much easier to hold. Also, a handle that is non-slip is definitely a plus because it can help you maintain a good grip while using your box grater, even if your hands are damp—again, you don’t want to risk cutting yourself. And a handle that is designed to be comfortable is a great way to go because if your hand hurts while using a box grater, you may not want to use it at all.
Finally, consider taking some time to read customer reviews. That way, you can see how well a box grater works. Some products might get clogged up and be difficult to use and clean, while others might not have the sharpest blades, making the task of shredding ingredients harder than it needs to be. Again, bear in mind that some box graters can be pretty hard to clean and dry, so it’s a good idea to see what others have to say about ease of cleanup. Basically, by reading reviews in addition to product descriptions, you can see if a box grater may be worth it or if you should keep looking.
Photo credit: Studio Lucky/Shutterstock