Few things are more refreshing than a cold beer. Whether you are lounging in your backyard on a hot day or you are watching the game with your friends on the TV in your living room, it is a flavorful drink to have on hand when relaxing and entertaining. But have you ever considered the container you drink your beer from?
A lot of people prefer to drink their beer from a beer mug—which is also referred to as a pub stein—just like they would do if they went to the pub for a cold one. This can be more enjoyable than drinking it from a bottle, can, or plastic cup. And the best part is that you can buy yourself an entire collection of beer mugs if you’d like because there are so many affordable options available on the market. From glass beer mugs to wooden beer mugs, you can stick with the material that you prefer most or you can switch things up and buy a few different beer mugs for yourself and your guests.
Why Are Beer Mugs So Popular?
You might be wondering why you should even consider buying a beer mug in the first place. After all, you could always just drink beer from the bottle or can, or you could pour it out into a regular glass, right? Well, the reason why people love beer mugs is because it has a handle. What’s the big deal about that? Basically, when you don’t need to pick up a glass with your hand, you won’t risk heating it up and, as a result, heating up your beer in the process. By holding onto the handle, your beer can remain chilled for longer, which means you can enjoy it just the way you like it. Plus, you might find it easier to pick up your drink without it slipping out of your hand when you have a handle that you can grab.
You can find beer mugs of various sizes, so you can decide if you want a smaller one or an extra large one. These mugs also typically have thick walls, and some glass beer mugs have dimples too. No matter what, because of their size, beer mugs can usually hold more beer than other cups and glasses. You can even chill them in the freezer prior to pouring beer into them so you can enjoy a nice, cold drink for longer.
Beer mugs also make the experience of drinking beer a little more fun. They are a fantastic addition to your table setting when you are hosting friends and family at your home for a backyard BBQ or get-together. Instead of setting out regular glasses or plastic cups, or letting people drink beer out of the bottle or can, you can pour it into attractive beer mugs and have everyone drink out of those instead.
Do You Want to See the Types of Beer Mugs That Are Out There?
Whether you are intrigued and want to discover more about beer mugs or you are already familiar with them, there are a lot of options out there. If you are on the market for your very first beer mug or you want to add to your collection, below is a list of eight products that we think are worth checking out.
As you will see, beer mugs come in various sizes, though they generally have the same shape. Also, they are made of a variety of materials, such as tough stainless steel, glass that is clear so you can see the color of your beer and the foam on top, and classic wood that makes you feel like you have gone back in time to a small pub with your friends. Plus, if you want to go with a vacuum sealed beer mug to keep your tasty beverage cold for as long as possible, you can find that as well. In other words, today’s beer mugs aren’t boring at all, and there really is something for everyone.
1. Editor’s Choice: BaveL Style Extra Large Beer Mug
This glass beer mug measures about 7.8” tall by 4” wide. It has an attractive look, with a thick handle that is easy to grab and hold, and you are sure to love the way your beer looks through the clear glass. Because of its dimensions, it can hold about 35 ounces of beer. Plus, it is designed to be sturdy, which is something that you want in a good quality beer mug. Overall, this is a great option when you want a traditional looking beer mug that you can use on an everyday basis or when you are entertaining guests at home.
- This glass beer mug is lead free and dishwasher safe.
- This mug can hold 35 ounces and is made from durable glass.
- This is a larger beer mug, so keep that in mind before deciding if it’s right for you.
2. Runner Up: Circleware Downtown Pub Glass Beer Mugs
This is another glass beer mug that is worth checking out, and it comes in a set of two, so it can be a great way to start a collection of beer mugs or add to an existing collection. You can rest assured that these don’t contain BPA, and they are designed to be stable. The clear glass allows you to see the beer you pour into the mug, which can hold about 16.4 ounces. Go ahead and pour your beer from the bottle or can right into this mug to transform the way you enjoy every sip.
- This beer mug is a good size for relaxing and entertaining.
- The clear glass allows you to see the beer you pour into it.
- The large handle is comfortable to hold.
- This beer mug is a bit plain looking, so if you prefer something with more style, you might want to consider other options.
3. Best Stainless Steel: Real Deal Steel Vacuum Beer Stein with Welded Handle
When you want something a little different, you can check out this stainless steel beer mug. Why would you want to use a beer mug that is made of stainless steel, though? Well, this durable material can be a great choice if you are enjoying your beer outside in your yard, as it likely won’t break and shatter if you accidentally drop it. Even the handle is welded on so it will be less likely to break. In addition to that, this product can hold 20 ounces, and it is BPA free. Plus, it is copper insulated to keep your refreshing beer nice and cold.
- This is a sturdy, durable, and shatterproof beer mug that is made of stainless steel.
- The handle is designed to be comfortable to grip.
- This beer mug is vacuum insulated.
- This beer mug is on the smaller side, so if you want something larger, keep that in mind.
4. Best Plastic Beer Mug: Get 20 oz. Plastic Beer Mugs with Handles
This beer mug might look like it is made of glass at first glance, but it is actually made of plastic. It is another good option for those times when you are planning on having some beer outside or whenever you are worried about accidentally dropping your mug. Because it is made of durable plastic, it may be less likely to break. Also, this mug can hold about 20 ounces of beer, and it is dishwasher safe.
- This beer mug is made of durable, clear plastic.
- The design of this beer mug gives it a classic look.
- This mug can be cleaned in the dishwasher.
- Although this beer mug is made of plastic, it can break, so you should still be careful to avoid dropping it.
5. Best Wooden: Ayiaren 18 oz Large Wooden Beer Mug
For something really different, check out this neat beer mug. It can really make you feel like you are enjoying a cold beer at the local pub, thanks to its old-fashioned look. It is hand carved from wood, and it is safe to drink from it because it isn’t coated with harmful chemicals. Also, it measures about 5.3” tall and can hold 18 ounces. Whether you are looking for a beer mug for yourself or to give as a gift, this is certainly going to add some uniqueness to any beer mug collection.
- This wooden beer mug has a unique yet classic look.
- This beer mug can be used for more than just beer.
- This is a smaller beer mug compared to others on the market because it can hold about 18 ounces.
- This beer mug should be washed by hand.
6. Best Large: Oktoberfest Large 44 Oz Dimpled Glass Jumbo Beer Mug With Handle
Do you want an extra large beer mug? Then check out this one, which can hold 44 ounces. It is made of glass that is thick, so it is nice and sturdy, as well as durable. And because it measures about 8” tall, it is a good size too. Plus, what you will also notice is that this product features dimpled glass, which might make your beer taste even better—give it a try to see if you notice a difference.
- This beer mug is made of durable glass that is dimpled and clear.
- You can hold 44 ounces of liquid in this beer mug, so it is the perfect choice if you want one that is extra large.
- This beer mug is quite big, so keep that in mind before you buy it to be sure it will be the right choice.
7. Best Insulated: Stanley Adventure Big Grip Beer Stein
This is another stainless steel beer mug that is insulated to help keep your beverage at the right temperature so you can continue enjoying it from the first sip to the last. It is available in multiple colors, and it can hold 24 ounces, so it is a good size for just about everyone. Plus, you don’t need to stick to using this mug just for beer, as you can also use it for any other drink, including hot beverages.
- This beer mug is made of stainless steel and has double-wall vacuum insulation for keeping your beer at the right temperature.
- This product is BPA free.
- The large handle makes it easy to drink your beer from this mug without the risk of dropping it.
- For some people, this type of beer mug is disappointing because it doesn’t look like a traditional glass mug.
8. Best Set: FLOE Beer Mugs Set, Classic Oktoberfest Stein
When you want to buy more than one beer mug at the same time to hopefully save some money, this set should be on your radar. You get four mugs at an affordable price, and each mug can hold 15 ounces. They feature a wide mouth design, a nice handle, and a heavy base. Plus, these glass mugs are lead free and BPA free too.
- You get four clear glass beer mugs in this set.
- These mugs can be washed by hand or in the dishwasher.
- These mugs are BPA free and free of lead.
- These beer mugs are smaller than others on the market, so keep that in mind if you prefer larger mugs.
Things to look out for:
Once you have found one or more beer mugs that are durable and a pleasure to use, you may find that you never want to go back to drinking beer from any other glass. But you have to discover the right product first. And, as mentioned above, there are a lot of beer mugs that you will readily find on the market these days. With so many options out there, you might not really know where to begin, especially if you are purchasing your first beer mug and you don’t know what to expect or what features to look for. To get started, consider the following as you browse the products that are available. By keeping these things in mind, you might be able to select a beer mug that fits your preferences and budget without wasting any time:
One of the first things to consider is the style of a beer mug and the material that it is made from. Do you want a nice glass beer mug that is clear so you can see the lovely color of your beer? Perhaps you like the look of dimpled glass beer mugs for something a little different. Or, do you prefer the fun look of a wooden beer mug? Some products are even customizable, so you can personalize your beer mug with whatever you’d like. Or, you can go with a plastic or stainless steel mug that won’t break if you drop it. It is totally up to you, and you might even decide to buy more than one beer mug so you can have multiple options at home to choose from, depending on your mood.
Another thing to think about is the size of the beer mug. There are some surprisingly large beer mugs, but if you don’t think that you would ever need one that big, there are plenty that are much smaller. Most people prefer to stick with mugs that are capable of holding a bottle of beer. That way, you just pour the whole bottle into your mug to sip on. But it’s entirely up to you, so you could go with a 12-ounce beer mug or one that can hold 30 ounces or more.
Beer mugs are known for having thicker walls, so that is something else to look for. A beer mug that has thin walls may not give you what you are looking for because it is more likely to make your beer too warm before you can finish drinking it. And when it comes to the handle, you also want it to be thick and easy to grip and hold.
If you think that vacuum insulation is really what you need to keep your beer colder for longer, but you don’t want to give up on drinking out of a beer mug, the good news is you can find beer mugs that are vacuum insulated. So, keep this in mind as you shop as well.
Finally, check how easy it will be to keep a beer mug clean. Can you simply put it in your dishwasher after each use? If so, that’s super convenient. Otherwise, you will need to wash it carefully by hand.
Photo credit: vhpfoto/Shutterstock