Whether you have a breakfast bar in your kitchen or an actual bar in your finished basement, getting a good set of bar stools can help you add style to the space while also giving all of your family and friends a comfortable place to sit when enjoying meals and drinks.
Once you start looking at the many different types of bar stools that are available, you might quickly become overwhelmed. How can you decide which ones to go with? Well, you can consider price and style, but it is also important to consider comfort and durability. And you also want to factor in whether or not you’ll be using the bar stools indoors or outside or a combination of the two.
To help you start your search for the perfect bar stool, we have compiled a list of products that you can check out below. These can give you a better idea of the various options that are out there, and hopefully help you make the decision that’s right for you.
1. Top Pick Best Basic Wooden Bar Stool: Winsome Element 2pc Set 29″ Bar Stool, Natural/White Finish
When you are in search of a basic wooden bar stool that also features some color, check out this one from Winsome. It is made of solid wood, and it can hold up to 220 pounds. It features white legs contrasted by a round wood seat, and the legs are squared with a total of eight crossbars that provide stability and can also be used as a footrest.
This bar stool measures roughly 13.58” x 13.58” x 28.98”, and because it has a neutral enough appearance, it can be added to a variety of design schemes easily, from rustic farmhouse to contemporary. It will look great against any bar or high table, and because of its durable materials, it can last a long time.
- This bar stool features a natural wood and white finish, so it has a two-tone appearance.
- This stool’s weight capacity is 220 pounds, and it is designed to be strong and sturdy.
- You get two stools for an affordable price.
- You need to assemble this stool.
- The wooden seat might not be comfortable enough for some people.
2. Best Outdoor Bar Stool: Crestlive Products Outdoor Counter Height Bar Stools Set of 2
Do you want to invest in some bar stools that you can use outside without needing to worry about them getting ruined? Then this set of two stools is worth checking out. They come in multiple color options, such as brown and beige, and you also have the choice of ordering a set of four if you need additional stools for your family and guests.
These attractive bar stools measure roughly 21.85” x 25” x 39.76”, and the seat height is 27.56”. They are designed to be comfortable to sit in, with a backrest and armrests, and they are easy to move, as needed, because they are lightweight. Plus, when you need to clean them, you can just wipe them down to keep them looking like new.
Boasting a classic and stylish look, you can use these bar stools on your patio or by the pool. They have an aluminum frame for strength and durability, and they also boast a textilene fabric that is UV resistant and weather resistant so you can use these stools for a long time to come.
- These bar stools are designed to be durable and stylish, and they are available in multiple color options.
- These stools are easy to assemble.
- They feature a strong aluminum fame and textilene fabric that dries quickly.
- These bar stools aren’t cushioned, so some people might not find them as comfortable as they would like.
3. Best Backless Bar Stool: Nathan James Nelson Backless Pub-Height Kitchen Counter Bar Stool with Faux Leather Cushion and Metal Base, 24″, Gray/Black
Do you want a backless bar stool that looks modern, is larger than a standard round bar stool, and is upholstered for comfort? Then you definitely should look at this bar stool from Nathan James. It features a soft foam cushion that is 3.5” thick so your body won’t hurt while sitting on it, and the cushion is covered in a luxurious anti-scratch and stain resistant faux leather. The best combination of style and comfort!
You’ll also like that the frame of this bar stool is metal for strength and durability, and the frame has a footrest that is built in to make it that much more comfortable and supportive.
This bar stool measures roughly 18” x 14” x 24”, and its weight limit is 275 pounds. It is designed to slide under your bar when you aren’t using it. The bottom of the frame is designed in a way that can help ensure it will not scratch your floors. And this stool features a black powder coat finish on the frame, while the cushion is pewter grey.
- This bar stool features a thick padded seat, reinforced metal frame, and built-in footrest for comfort.
- The look of this bar stool is modern, so it can complement a variety of design schemes.
- This product is easy to assemble and comes with a warranty.
- This bar stool is recommended for counters that are 34-36” high, so it’s best to measure your space before purchasing it.
- Some reviewers complain that these stools don’t last as long as they’d like.
4.Best Upholstered Bar Stool: DHP Alfie Upholstered Seat Swivel, Tan Microfiber, Set of 3
This bar stool is a good option when you are looking for one that is upholstered and also has a backrest for additional comfort and support. It features a tall back, a cushion that is covered in soft microfiber, and a footrest. Plus, because it swivels and you can manually adjust the height of this stool (24” or 29” seat height), it also provides you with more flexibility than other bar stools.
Measuring roughly 16” x 18.5” x 40.5”, this bar stool can hold up to 250 pounds. It features a black powder coated metal frame and a tan cushion, so there is a nice contrast between the two colors to make for an eye-catching appearance. The frame is built to be sturdy, and the backrest boasts an attractive design as well.
- You get a set of three bar stools for an affordable price.
- This bar stool swivels, and it features a metal frame and upholstered cushion, along with a built-in footrest and a high backrest.
- This set of bar stools boasts a vintage style that might not match all design schemes.
- Some customer reviews state these bar stools can be difficult to assemble.
5. Best Bar Stool with Armrests: Cozy Castle Bar Stools
Sometimes, when you are sitting on a bar stool, you want nothing more than to be able to sit back comfortably and set your arms on a pair of armrests. Well, this bar stool gives you all of that in a stylish package. And you can choose from a set of two or a set of four, depending on your needs and design scheme.
This bar stool can swivel 360°, it features an anti-scratch material, and it has a large, sturdy base. It also has a soft, padded seat, wrapped armrests, a chrome steel footrest, and an ergonomic backrest. All of this means that you can get nice and relaxed, and sit for a long time without discomfort.
In terms of appearance, this bar stool boasts a synthetic leather seat and glossy metallic frame, so it looks modern and chic. It measures roughly 18.3” x 20.9” x 33.9”, but the height is adjustable, so you can get it to be as high as 43.3”.
- These bar stools are quick and easy to assemble.
- These stools swivel and their height is adjustable to match your preferences.
- These bar stools feature a footrest, armrests, backrest, and padded seat for ultimate comfort.
- Because of the gap between the seat and the backrest, you might not get the lower back support you need.
- These stools do not have a thick cushion.
6. Best Adjustable Bar Stool: Leopard Modern Square PU Leather Adjustable Bar Stools with Back
Do you want an adjustable bar stool that doesn’t have any armrests but does provide your body with comfort? Then check out this option, which can be adjusted easily with the use of an airlift handle from 21.5” to 31.5” to match the height of your counter.
This modern bar stool is sold in a set of two, and it measures roughly 16” x 15” x 21.5”-31.5” (depending on how you adjust the height). For comfort, this stool features a high-density foam seat and backrest, and they are covered in stylish faux leather. Plus, this bar stool can swivel 360°, it features a polished chrome base, and it has a built-in footrest.
What’s also nice about this set of stools is the fact that they are available in a wide range of colors, so you can select the shade that will match your interior design best. Options include black, white, beige, brown, grey, red, orange, and more. The quilted style is also versatile, and the fact that the backrest and the seat are connected means you can enjoy support from your lower back to your upper back.
- These bar stools are designed to provide you with comfort, even when sitting for long periods of time, because the back and seat are cushioned.
- These stools swivel and you can adjust the height.
- These stools feature chrome, PU leather, and foam.
- These bar stools might tip over if children try to climb on them, so they might not be safe if you have kids.
7. Best Back Support Bar Stool: Maison Swivel Bar Stool with Back
If sitting on a bar stool without proper back support is a definite no-no for you, check out this stool from Maison. It is stylish and comfortable, it swivels 360°, and it has an airlift handle to make it a snap when you need to adjust the height (from 24” to 33”) to suit your needs. Plus, you can choose from brown or grey to complement your interior design scheme.
This is an ergonomically designed bar stool with a medium high backrest to help keep your body aligned and supported. It also has a soft cushion that can keep you comfortable, and the design of the stool wraps around your body so you have armrests as well. Plus, the footrest provides additional comfort and support.
The circular steel base provides stability, and it has a rubber ring to help prevent scratches on the floor. And the foam cushion is covered in PU leather that is easy to care for and keep clean, so it is another noteworthy feature.
- This bar stool is ergonomically designed for style and comfort, with a strong metal frame and cushioned seat.
- This stool swivels and the height can be adjusted easily.
- This bar stool can hold up to 300 pounds.
- The backrest might not be high enough for some people.
- Some reviewers complain that this stool is too small.
8. Best Stackable Bar Stool: YAHEETECH 26inch barstools Set of 4 Counter Height Metal Bar Stools
Being able to stack your bar stools when they are not in use can help you save space, so we made sure to include this set of bar stools that you can use indoors or outdoors, and that you can stack to store away.
You get four stools when you purchase this set, and each stool measures roughly 15.7” x 15.7” x 26.2”. These are metal stools with a wooden seat, and they are compact in size. They are built to be sturdy and durable, and they can hold up to 331 pounds. Plus, they also have a footrest to provide you with additional comfort, especially since they don’t have a backrest or armrests.
When you need to move these stools around, you can rest assured that the rubber feet will help prevent scratches and also help reduce noise. Plus, the cross brace under this bar stool’s seat is there for additional stability and durability.
- These bar stools feature heavy-duty metal construction, rubber feet, and scratch-resistant finish.
- You can use these stools indoors or outside, and they are stackable when not in use.
- You get four stools for an affordable price.
- These are backless bar stools that might not be comfortable for all people.
Things to look out for:
Purchasing a bar stool shouldn’t be complicated, but there are things to think about so you can rest assured you are buying a high-quality item. So, when shopping for a bar stool for your home, consider the following:
First off, take some measurements so you can figure out how wide and how tall a bar stool can be in order to fit your space comfortably. Then, figure out how many bar stools you can fit in an area, such as at your breakfast bar, so you can determine how many you should purchase.
In terms of design, there are backless bar stools and there are those that have backrests of varying heights. If you want something that will provide you with more support, opting for a stool with a backrest is the right way to go. Beyond that, you can increase your comfort with a built-in footrest and armrests.
Yet another thing to think about is whether or not you want your bar stool to be adjustable in terms of its height, or if you want a bar stool that swivels. Whether you want something that’s totally stationary or something that’s adjustable, there are plenty of options out there in a wide range of styles to suit your preferences.
Finally, consider whether you want a cushioned bar stool or if you would prefer going with a more traditional and basic wooden bar stool. There are also bar stools that combine metal and wood or metal and upholstery for a classy look that can be traditional or modern. Ultimately, you definitely want whatever you choose to fit in with the rest of your design scheme.
Photo credit: ImageFlow/Shutterstock