Have you ever struggled with cutting a bagel evenly? Maybe you’ve even cut yourself by accident while trying to slice a bagel. Or, you might struggle so much that you end up squeezing it to the point that it loses its shape and you’re left with a crushed bagel. Well, there is a simple and affordable solution to all of these common problems: a bagel slicer. Sure, it might not look like much, but it can be one of the smartest purchases you make, especially if you have bagels often.
With a high-quality bagel slicer, you can reap the benefits of a super sharp blade that will easily cut through even the biggest and thickest bagels. But it’s not just about the blade, as a bagel slicer is designed with your safety in mind. This kitchen tool is simple to use and it keeps your hands and fingers away from the blade so you don’t need to worry so much about cutting yourself.
No More Struggling to Slice a Bagel!
Slicing a bagel evenly so you have two identical halves can be a challenge because of the shape of the bagel and its texture. Whether you prefer toasting a bagel first or not, getting your knife through it isn’t always an easy task, and you might find yourself struggling to keep the bagel balanced in your hand or on your dish. A bagel slicer can help in all of these areas.
Another nice thing about bagel slicers is the fact that they are affordable and there are various types on the market. You can find those that are guillotine style and you can find those that are designed to hold a bagel steadily in place while you use your own knife to cut it by following a guide that helps ensure your safety as well.
Bottom line: with the right bagel slicer, you will be able to get two even halves when you cut your bagel, and you’ll be able to toast them and add whatever ingredients you want to make a yummy meal for yourself. If you’re tired of uneven slices and the dangers of cutting your bagel with a knife, this simple tool can make a big difference, and you might wonder why you didn’t buy one sooner.
Which Bagel Slicer Should You Get?
As you shop, you can weigh the pros and cons of different bagel slicers to figure out which one would be ideal for you and your budget. No matter what, you want this product to be simple to use, with safety features and high-quality materials for durability. Beyond that, you also want the product to be compact enough for easy storage. And bagel slicers that are easy to clean are sure to make it to the top of your list as well.
If you are ready to start your search for the best bagel slicer but you aren’t quite sure where to begin, continue reading for a list of products we recommend checking out. As you can see, there are several options available in terms of design and ease of use, cleaning, and storage. So, let’s get started, shall we?
1. Editor’s Choice: Hoan The Original Bagel Guillotine Universal Slicer
If you are on the market for a guillotine style bagel slicer, this one should definitely be on your radar. It can help you slice your bagel just right, while also keeping you safe from the sharp, serrated blade. To use it, all you have to do is set the bagel into the lower compartment. Then, push the blade down the middle of the bagel to slice it in half, while keeping your hands on the thick handle to avoid cuts and accidents. This slicer also has an acrylic safety shield to further protect your fingers from the blade, as well as other attractive features, such as a wide base that helps ensure it will remain stable during use, an access slot to make removing the bagel easy, and a durable frame.
- This bagel slicer will work well with bagels of all sizes, so it’s great for large and small bagels.
- This product features a stainless steel blade that is serrated, non-stick, and makes cutting through a bagel quick and easy.
- You can choose from multiple color options.
- This is a pricier bagel slicer, so it might not fit all budgets.
2. Runner Up: Slyce Bagel Slicer
Another guillotine style bagel slicer is this option, which is available in more than one color to suit your preferences. It is designed to make cutting your bagel in half quick and easy, as well as safe. And its features include a high-carbon stainless steel blade, acrylic safety shields, and a wide base. It works like the item above, as you place the bagel in the base and then slide the blade down to get two even halves.
- This product features a stainless steel serrated blade.
- The wide handle on this bagel slicer helps ensure you will be able to comfortably grip it.
- Because this bagel slicer is available in multiple colors, you can select the one that will match your kitchen best.
- Because this will fit a standard bagel, it might not work for bagels of various sizes.
- This bagel slicer is easy to clean.
3. Best Designed for Safety: Halve Your Bagel Multi Use Bagel Slicer
For something different, check out this product, which can also help you slice any bagel quickly and easily without putting your fingers at risk. All you have to do is open it up, place your bagel inside, and then close the sides around the bagel so you can then use a knife to cut through it safely. Basically, this holds your bagel securely in place so you can cut it with greater ease than if you had to hold it by hand. So, if you don’t want to buy a bagel slicer that has a built-in blade, perhaps because you are concerned about it becoming dull over time, you can opt for something like this, which allows you to use any knife you prefer.
- This bagel slicer will hold your bagel so you can slice through it with a knife.
- You can use this to hold bagels of all sizes, as well as other baked goods, such as rolls and croissants.
- This product is designed to keep your hands and fingers safe while slicing a bagel in half.
- Although it’s designed for bagels of all sizes, this slicer might not work well with large bagels.
4. Best Guillotine Style: Sweet Home Bee Bagel Slicer
This is yet another guillotine bagel slicer, but what makes it stand out from others is the fact that it comes with a handy little cleaning brush that you can use to keep the blade nice and clean. The compact design makes it easy to keep this product on your countertop or store it away in between uses. And the stainless steel blade with a non-stick coating is going to help ensure you will be able to cut through a bagel with minimal effort every time.
- This bagel slicer is designed to be easy to use, and it is also simple to clean because it is dishwasher safe.
- You can use this slicer for more than bagels, as you can give it a try when you need to slice muffins, rolls, and more.
- Like other guillotine bagel slicers, this one receives some negative reviews from customers who state it crushes a bagel, so it might take a bit of trial and error to figure out how to use it to get the best results.
5. Best Stainless Steel: DanDuDu Bagel Slicer for Home
This guillotine style bagel slicer is a more affordably priced option, but it still has all of the great features you would want from this type of slicer. It is designed to keep your hands safe, and it has a stainless steel blade that is durable to help ensure you will be able to use this product for a long time. Plus, it is simple to clean it after use because you can use your dishwasher if you don’t want to wash it by hand. And, like similar products, you can use this for other baked goods, so you don’t have to use it solely for bagels.
- This bagel slicer has a stainless steel blade, but it is built to keep your hands and fingers safe.
- You can clean this bagel slicer in the dishwasher.
- The thick handle is easy to grip, and the base can help ensure it will stay in place.
- Like other guillotine style bagel slicers, it might take a bit of time to learn how to use it so it won’t smash your bagel.
6. Best Wooden: Fox Run Bagel Cutter/Holder
If you aren’t a fan of guillotine bagel slicers or you want something that will allow you to use a knife more safely, this wooden bagel slicer might be just right. It features a basic design that allows you to set a bagel in place and then slice it easily, with a handy guide for the blade that helps ensure you get two halves that are roughly the same thickness. Plus, it is designed to be durable and stable, so it should last a long time if you care for it properly.
- This product is designed to hold your bagel securely in place so you can more easily and safely cut through it with a knife.
- This product is made of rubberwood.
- This item has a guide for your knife so it will be less likely to slip and cut you while you slice a bagel.
- Unlike other bagel slicers, this one does not come with a blade or knife.
- Some customer reviews state that this product was smaller than they expected, so it might only work well with small bagels.
7. Best Multi-Purpose: OUKEYI Bagel Slicer
This handy bagel slicer can be used to cut through more than just bagels, as you can also use it for buns, breads, muffins, and more. It is compact, so you might opt to just leave it out on your countertop for easy access to it whenever you need it. And because it’s a guillotine style, it has all of the safety features that you would want in order to ensure your fingers don’t get cut by any blades. Plus, it should work well with large and small bagels.
- You can use this bagel slicer for a variety of baked goods, from breads to muffins.
- This product has attractive features, like a non-stick blade with a serrated edge, two clear safety shields, and a handle that is designed to be easy to grip.
- Some customer reviews state that their bagels were crushed when trying to cut them with this slicer, so it might take some practice to learn how to make the most of it.
8. Best Holder and Slicer: Clear Design Bagel Slicer/Holder by LilGift
Similar to the wooden bagel holder above, this clear option is a great choice if you would prefer getting a product that simply makes it safer to cut a bagel using whichever knife you want. The fact that it is clear is convenient, as you can see what you are doing more easily. And this product is designed to guide your knife down the middle of a bagel so you can get two even halves.
- This product is designed to hold your bagel and guide your knife as you cut it evenly.
- The clear plastic ensures you will be able to see what you’re doing, while keeping your fingers safe as you slice your bagel using a sharp knife.
- This item might be too small for large bagels.
Things to look out for:
The best bagel slicer is one that has all of the features you want. But how can you be sure that you are selecting a product that will suit your preferences and fit your budget? Well, there are some details to look for and consider as you compare your options and narrow them down. Here are a few things we recommend:
Because there are different styles of bagel slicers, one of the first things you can consider is the type you prefer or think would be right for you. If you want to protect your hands, a guillotine style bagel slicer might be just right. If your hands have a hard time gripping a utensil or you don’t have a lot of strength in your hands, an ergonomically designed handle on a product that’s designed to be simple to use is a good way to go.
No matter which style bagel slicer you go with, you want it to remain securely in place during use. If the product has features that help it stay in place without slipping, that’s great. And if it has a non-slip grip on the handle, that can also help ensure you won’t end up accidentally hurting yourself or making a mess.
Also, consider the size of a bagel slicer, as some are larger than others. You’ll want to get one that is big enough to hold even large bagels, but you also don’t want it to take up too much space on your kitchen counter or in your cabinet in between uses, especially if you don’t have a lot of room to work with. Some bagel slicers might even give you the option of adjusting them to accommodate various bagels, muffins, and breads.
Check the safety features of a bagel slicer to see how it can help keep your fingers and hands away from the sharp blade during use. For instance, there might be a shield in place to protect you from the blade. If you have cut yourself while slicing a bagel with a knife in the past, or you plan on letting your older children and teens use the bagel slicer, this will be ultra-important.
When it comes to the materials that a bagel slicer is made of, you obviously want them to be high-quality, food-safe materials. Stainless steel with a non-stick surface is a popular choice for the blade, but the rest of the slicer should also be made of materials that are durable, such as plastic or metal.
Finally, look into how easy it will be to clean your bagel slicer after each use. You will find that some items need to be washed by hand only, while others are dishwasher safe, so decide which one you’d prefer.
Photo credit: grandbrothers/Shutterstock